XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear axle assembly bushes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Rear axle assembly bushes

Hallo all,

Quick question, I am about to drop the rear axle assembly of my 1997 XJR 4.0 V8 in order to replace my noisy diff......which of the bushes would you recommend I replace whilst it is out?

I don't really want to go to the expense of replacing all of them (much as I would love to), however wondering if there are any usual 'culprits' that suffer back there?

Any other demon tips? I am looking to detach the calipers and hang them up so as not to need to bleed the brakes (discs and pads recently changed), and it looks relatively straight forward?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Rich,

As an absolute minimum, the rear subframe bushes (item 14):

These take a real pounding and new ones always make a big difference.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Rear axle assembly bushes-xj-rear-suspension.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
richard thomas (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Rich,

As an absolute minimum, the rear subframe bushes (item 14):

These take a real pounding and new ones always make a big difference.

Graham
Thanks Graham, I will get some on order. Any advice as to the cheapest supplier?

As an aside, I was assuming that to drop the rear assembly it is easier to drop it with item 18 in the pic still attached by removing bolts 19, 21, 22?

I should point out at this point that I bought the car for very little money, the guy I bought it from had got a price from a Jaguar breaker but the car was too good to scrap - so I gave him what the breaker offered. The main issue at the moment is the diff which is very noisy. I have a replacement on the way with an entire rear axle assembly from Southwest Jaguar. There are other issues with the car such as ABS light, traction control, stability control which I am hoping will be fixed by cleaning the wheel sensors or even the ABS module solder repair (today's job).

No doubt (if no-one minds) I will be asking a few more questions from the experience on this forum - I am looking at this as a mercy mission, saving a beautiful car from a grim end

Rich.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by richard thomas
Thanks Graham, I will get some on order. Any advice as to the cheapest supplier?

As an aside, I was assuming that to drop the rear assembly it is easier to drop it with item 18 in the pic still attached by removing bolts 19, 21, 22?
Rich,

Take care to support the weight of the subframe as you release bolts 19, 21 and 22 on the two mounting brackets.

Both JustJags UK (£19.40 each + VAT) and British Parts UK (£20.09 each + VAT) list the bushes online for standard suspension but not for XJR.

A.f.a.i.k. the difference is the standard is a softer material than the XJR and not a different design. Worth a call or eMail to either of them to check this unless anyone here jumps in with the answer. The bushes need to be pressed in.

Other than the diff, your work list sounds normal for an X300 so it's been a good buy.

Graham

Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Rich I answered this question on the UK forum - you need to remove 18 before you attempt to remove the A frame, it'll be 'part of the car' with the big bushes almost welded to the chassis, (inner part is alloy so reacts with the steel chassis peg) good luck with the removal, hopefully it'll be OK.

The XJR part is made by LemForder, keep a mental note of which way the slots in the bushes point, they cost around £40 for the XJR. Jaguar main agent, SNG Barretts, David Manners etc can supply. Removing them is a pita you may need to cut them out of the a frame - also check the front edge of the A frame for rust, a chipping hammer may reveal holes, in which case replace it as it'll flex and mot fail. Install with a big hammer and a smear of fairy liquid.

Last edited by Sean B; 11-04-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM

Thank you Gents,

Sean, so you did. Just looking for confirmation that I understand correctly...

I am off to start the job now. I was going to wait until Tuesday as I have 2 new tyres on order for the back for then. However I think i will just take the wheels to the tyre shop. I am chomping at the bit to get the back end off, the weather is nice today so it feels like the right time...

I also spotted a pic of a refurbished back end elsewhere here (all painted up nice) - it has inspired me somewhat to get it done nicely....so am going to check all bushes for wear and replace as appropriate....to hell with the expense.

Anyone recommend a paint for chassis/suspension parts? I have heard that POR 15 is ok?

Will do the ABS tasks at the same time too....

Wish me luck (going to take a while to shift the cars around first, I have a Hayabusa powered '7' in the garage that I am trying to sell on - need to shift it out which means moving the Disco TD5....which means moving the Mondeo....etc.....

Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I can confirm that replacing the rear sub-frame bushings (part #14) makes a big difference. I found the easiest way to remove the old ones was to press out the rubber center with a press and then use a reciprocating saw to cut a slit in the remaining outer sleeve from inside the bushing. Once you cut through it you can use a cold chisel to fold in the sleeve and it will pop right out.

As mentioned note the position of the existing ones so you can install the new ones with the same orientation. They are designed to flex in one direction and remain firm in the other. With the rear assembly out is a great time to also change the fuel filter.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Well, it's out - I knew it would be heavy, but......

Anyway, started to strip it down...hell it's mucky! Will continue tomorrow, think I will get it back to component form and paint it up nice.

Any clues on how to disconnect the handbrake cable from the hubs?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Hi all, just a quick update....

Axle all dropped and stripped....after inspection I have ordered new sub-frame bushes, drop links and shock absorber lower bushes....other that that the rest of the bushes look fine....no wear and stiff enough.

Springs are away at the powder coating shop, just running the rest of the parts through my electrolyte bath to remove rust and then a nice coat of fresh paint.

Still waiting for my replacement diff, hoping the a frame is in good condition because I found a weld repair on the one I have removed....good advice Sean B!!! Not a bad repair really, but I would prefer to fit a better one.

Whilst I was under there I gave the underbody a good clean and a nice coat of underseal, should keep her safe for a while longer. Only got as far as the front door pillar, will do the front of the chassis when I drop the front subframe to carry out a weld repair to the rust I found around the L/H side 'V' mount area...might as well re-bush the front whilst I am there.

This is turning out into one of those scenario's where a cheap car ends up costing as much a mint one would have, however I suppose I am only doing the work that inevitably needs doing to them all eventually. And I will be happy because I know it is done 'right'.

Plus it keeps the old girl on the road and away from the breaker's yard.

Happy days....