XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacement Key and Remote

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 AM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a blank Tibbe key from a company called triple C on the internet. The problem was having someone program the key. I could not find anyone in Houston to program the key. I happened to have an extra key and sent that key and the blank key to a locksmith in Kansas City called Brandt Locksmiths. If you only have one key, this may not be a good option. Maybe the Jaguar dealer can still do it, but they charge an arm and a leg. As for the remote, they are usually available on eBay. I bought a couple extras. You have to program all of the remotes at once. The instructions are available on prior post and on the internet.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will this work with only one good key and on 2005 xj8

Old 02-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bigcat nailed it, usually way cheaper ( on fords also ) If you only have one key- 2 keys, need another ? Just like a ford.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_genius
just stating facts of the vehicle
No, not really. Anyone can reprogram the remotes with simple instructions all over the internet. They key youll need cut and coded, but no way the dealer is your only option. Tons of automotive locksmiths can do it for you at a fraction of the dealer cost. I cant stand all these "gotta go to the dealer" black and white answers, no offense to anyone. Use the internet, its your friend. The dealer isnt

Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I live in a large city (Houston) and called a bunch of automotive locksmith's and couldn't find one who could program the key, so this may be a problem in the future with these old cars. As I wrote in my original post, I had to send one of my keys to a locksmith in Kansas City in order to do this.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You don't NEED to go to the Dealership

Originally Posted by jag_genius
the dealer.. key has to be cut and programmed by a dealer.. remotes can be programmed by you.
You can get a locksmith to cut and program your key. All you need is a good locksmith...those can be hard to find. Jags use tibbe keys. There is nothing about a tibbe key that would stop someone from duplicating the cuts. As long as you have the Vin number of the car the locksmith will be able to cut it from code. If you have an original they can duplicate that. When you make the claim, "that something has to be done by [insert exclusive party here]" think about why that would be. Even Assa, Mul-T-Lock and Evva keys, that are each patented have workarounds for third party duplication. Once the key exists, people find away around the group that has the monopoly. Just look at how a key is made. It is just grinding metal. As for programing the transponder, there are locksmiths that can do that as well. Chances are it will be cheaper than the dealer because a locksmith has no reason to turn down business in an attempt to get a couple extra bucks. Haggle if you want. But don't think you have only one option. This is the age of the internet. There is always another way.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,903 Likes on 853 Posts

Hi all,

The "close" function from the programmable key fob for my 2001 X308 stopped working a couple of years ago. Now, today, the "open" function gave up.

Question: is the key fob at fault or is it the transponder in the car ?

Keyfob recently had new batteries.

Thanks,

Takeo.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Gunked up fob buttons. Pull the fob apart, take a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol and clean the stuff off the pads and PCB contacts. Don't be afraid to scrub hard, mine didn't work and it took a couple times cleaning, second time cleaning the rubber pads a bit stronger than I thought they needed. Worked fine since.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key duplicates in Los Angeles area

Just had a duplicate key made and programmed for my 2003 XK8 at Lock Solutions on Burbank Blvd in North Hollywood. Total price $125 and works perfectly. Far less expensive than the 4-500 dollars charged by LA area Jaguar dealers and some other locksmiths. (They may be able to come to you for an additional cost as they seem to have all the equipment required in several mobile units.) I did not need a remote FOB but they handle those as well. (But as noted in other posts, if you can find the right FOB - with same ID numbers as others you have - they're easy to program yourself.) Car needs to be with you at the time of key duplication. Also bring any other keys you may have for the vehicle as the programming for the new key will then replace the programming for the others but they will all work fine. No extra charge for those additional programming changes. Small shop, very nice people to work with, took about an hour. Call first to make sure they have your specific key in stock. Apparently Ford is now going to the tibbe type key on some vehicles, so there are sources for the uncut keys besides Jaguar itself.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you have to flash the lights instead, as per the post above ..

Old 01-04-2022, 12:15 AM

Sorry, but I was told by the Jag dealership that obtained my blank and cut the key per my VIN # (I lost my only key ) - @ $120.00 - that only a Jag dealer can program things so the key works with the car. I trust them, b/c it turned out the guy that cut my key is also a former client and friend. He would not lie to me on that point. The dealerships have a specific Jag machine for that sole purpose (I forgot the acronym for it).

Old 01-04-2022, 12:17 AM

btw, anyone know how much a 1/2 an hour of labor is today (1/22) for a Jaguar dealership shop?

Old 01-04-2022, 12:24 AM

I don't see how they did it unless they happened to have one of the Jaguar programming machines on hand. ? Keep in mind that it is NOT the key that is programmed (or programable) .. it is the computer system in the car that is, from my understanding as to how the process works ..