XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seat removal frustration !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Seat removal frustration !!

I came out this morning to get into the car(98 XJR) and found the seat to be all the way forward, as well as the seatback. I then discovered I couldn't operate any functions - no response, but steering wheel and mirror work. I checked fuses and they are good. I spent some computer time going over old posts related to seats and read posts on switching modules and thought I would try that, but no dice, seat was too close to floor. OK, I thought, I'll remove the seat. After removing 4 rear 2 front bolts I still can't get the back to come loose - am I missing something ? Further, I can't locate the 2 10mm bolts that hold modules in place. I could use help from someone having been through this. I'm hoping I can get pass. module out without removing seat, once I figure out the bolts on the drivers' module.
As always, thank you.....
Jim

Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps the battery needs charging... There are 4 bolts to remove the seats, two in front and two in back, seat will come right out, don't forget to unplug the cable underneath once the seats are loose...

The following users liked this post:
smith356 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I removed my seat a few days ago. There are two large, black torx bolts in the rear and two in the front. They are T45.

smith356 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Default seat

Originally Posted by hnatten
I removed my seat a few days ago. There are two large, black torx bolts in the rear and two in the front. They are T45.

OK, here's my dilemma... seat is too far back to access the 2 rear bolts. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated ( remember, seat is dead) !
Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the module. I see posts stating removal of 2 10mm bolts, but where are they ???
As always, thank you.

Jim

Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had exactly the same problem. I unhooked the leather seat cover at the front and pulled back the foam seat cushion until I could access the seat motor that moves the seat back and forth (the motor that goes across the seat from side to side). I disconnected the connector to this motor and put 12V power to the motor, moved the seat forward and undid the four torx bolts. Then it is easy to flip the seat back and remove the seat module. Mine was corroded at the edge of the circuit board. I bought a used replacement on Ebay and it now works great.

smith356 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Default seat

Thanks Andrew...... I see I have my work ahead of me - glad it was home when this happened ! I still have no clue where the bolts are for the module.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat module

Once you have removed the 4 torx bolts holding the seat to the floor, flip the seat backwards (unclip the seat main electrical connector) you will see the seat computer is held onto the underside of the seat near the front by a metal bracket. This bracket is held onto the seat by a phillips head screw and a metal tab. This is really simple compared to moving the seat back and forward! I used Ebay to find a used computer ($60). Now it works fine.
I also researched Ebay for a view of the seat frame with motors.

Jaguar XJ8 Seat Adjuster Track Motor Drive Side | eBay

The motor you need to get power to is the big silver motor going across the seat frame. Unclip the leather seat cover by pulling firmly down then out at the front bottom edge of the seat. Then you can work your way around the seat until you can fold the leather back out of the way. Then fold the foam cushion out of the way until you can see the motor going across the seat. Fumble around until you find the short connector cord going to this motor and unclip. I ran two wires from the car battery terminals and touched power to the terminals in the motor connector. One polarity will move the seat forward and the other polarity will move the seat back. This was the hardest part! Removing the seat and computer was easy by comparison.

Here is a link to a helpful page with illustrations:
http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/6uf...02-jaguar.html

smith356 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Do a hard reset first and then see if the seat functions. It only takes a few minutes and might save a lot of work.

smith356 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew
Once you have removed the 4 torx bolts holding the seat to the floor, flip the seat backwards (unclip the seat main electrical connector) you will see the seat computer is held onto the underside of the seat near the front by a metal bracket. This bracket is held onto the seat by a phillips head screw and a metal tab. This is really simple compared to moving the seat back and forward! I used Ebay to find a used computer ($60). Now it works fine.
I also researched Ebay for a view of the seat frame with motors.

Jaguar XJ8 Seat Adjuster Track Motor Drive Side | eBay

The motor you need to get power to is the big silver motor going across the seat frame. Unclip the leather seat cover by pulling firmly down then out at the front bottom edge of the seat. Then you can work your way around the seat until you can fold the leather back out of the way. Then fold the foam cushion out of the way until you can see the motor going across the seat. Fumble around until you find the short connector cord going to this motor and unclip. I ran two wires from the car battery terminals and touched power to the terminals in the motor connector. One polarity will move the seat forward and the other polarity will move the seat back. This was the hardest part! Removing the seat and computer was easy by comparison.

Here is a link to a helpful page with illustrations:
http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/6uf...02-jaguar.html

Andrew, can't thank you enough for taking time to run me through the process of getting the seat apart. I needed the direction you laid out and I'm sure others here will also find this valuable.
Jim

Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
.......I still have no clue where the bolts are for the module.
This is an XK8 seat (fixings arrowed in red) but the module attachment is similar on an X308:

Seat removal frustration !!-seat-module.jpg

Graham

smith356 (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
This is an XK8 seat (fixings arrowed in red) but the module attachment is similar on an X308:

Attachment 108383

Graham

Thanks, Graham ! It's always great to have a visual and I appreciate you pointing out the places to concentrate on.
Now I just need to try and get the seat moved forward to get at the back bolts... Oh Boy !!!

Jim

Last edited by smith356; 03-22-2015 at 11:00 AM.