XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stuck in Valet Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck in Valet Mode

I bought a 1998 XJ8 last November (I love it). However, I must have pushed the "valet mode" switch, & now I cannot open the trunk with the center button as I used to be able to. I can only use the black key (the only key I have). If I open the trunk before unlocking the door, the alarm beeps at me, & then in a short while, goes off (unless I quickly unlock the door).

Any suggestions as to how to get out of "valet mode?" Thanks...Bob

Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have the master key open the trunk with it, and disconnect the battery (its in the trunk) for like 1 min and plug it back on. should reset the computer. if not take it to the dealer. sometimes they are free. just drive it straight into service. dont spend time talking to an advisor lol they try to find a way to charge you. look for a machanic walking around.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Is all you trunk lighting working properly?

No personal knowledge but the valet mode is reported to be reset off the trunk lighting. Leave the trunk open for a minute. On the XK8/R the valet is reset by unlocking the driver door with the key.

Hard boot as recommended above cannot hurt.

The following users liked this post:
hostex (10-13-2019)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Default Stuck in valet mode

No...my trunk light does not work right. If I leave the trunk open for awhile it may come on, or not. So now I have to troubleshoot that! So where do I begin?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Try the right hand boot hinge, there's a wiring loom that gets worn out, some of the wires break - check them all.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungRobertL
I bought a 1998 XJ8 last November (I love it). However, I must have pushed the "valet mode" switch, & now I cannot open the trunk with the center button as I used to be able to. I can only use the black key (the only key I have). If I open the trunk before unlocking the door, the alarm beeps at me, & then in a short while, goes off (unless I quickly unlock the door).

Any suggestions as to how to get out of "valet mode?" Thanks...Bob
if the key-fob does not work (or you do not have one), go to an authorized jag dealer. talk directly with a mechanic (not an office manager or salesman - they will rip you off with a hefty, undeserved service fee). 1. trip the valet system with a hand-held jag computer (5 minutes duration) - have the door closed and ignition off (you will see the status alternatively change in the hand-held computer display from active to not active - this is good). 2. disconnect the computer 3. start the engine with the black key (this is necessary and permanently disables the active state in the security system). You must use the BLACK colored key. push the trunk button on the dashboard in the cabin; you will hear the 'click' in the boot. Open the trunk from outside (depress the button). MOST IMPORTANTLY: TIP OUT THE MECHANIC GENEROUSLY - HE/SHE JUST SAVED YOU 200 BUCKS!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

My XJR has only the two seats of keys/fobs, and is missing the valet key (green, I believe). Is this worth having at all? As far as I can tell it just prevents somebody opening the boot, doesn't it? Does it also restrict the car in any other way?

Dave

Old 03-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by dstary
My XJR has only the two seats of keys/fobs, and is missing the valet key (green, I believe). Is this worth having at all? As far as I can tell it just prevents somebody opening the boot, doesn't it? Does it also restrict the car in any other way?

Dave
Boot and glovebox....
Valet isn't worth the bother unless you're forever going to movie premier's or dodgy golf clubs!

Useless in my book, now if it limited the car to 30mph........

Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks. Sounds like it's no use to me, as the thousands of country clubs I visit each year are very trustworthy!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Talking stuck in valet mode and trunk lights don't work.1998xj8

I could not open trunk from the button inside or outside vehicel, was stuck in valet mode. I noticed that lights were not working in the trunk also. Open trunk and pull down the back cover, also a black curved cover on the trunk hinge on the right side. I found four broken wires in the small harness that comes off the big harness, thease went toward the lights and two were the same color for the lights. They r color coded and the black were ground. Purple fixed the lights and the other fixed the trunk buttons, works great now and I probably saved myself $500 at the dealer. Good luck and thank you all for the hints alone the way..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Helpful tip for anyone whose car is stuck in valet mode with broken key fob take key apart as if you were changing the battery hit the unlock on the circuit board and it will come out of valet don't push valet again till you get a new key

Jhartz (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have been there, done that........forget the valet key....not needed but concentrate on getting another(black) programmable/working cut key....by all means...

Old 05-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorJames
if the key-fob does not work (or you do not have one), go to an authorized jag dealer. talk directly with a mechanic (not an office manager or salesman - they will rip you off with a hefty, undeserved service fee). 1. trip the valet system with a hand-held jag computer (5 minutes duration) - have the door closed and ignition off (you will see the status alternatively change in the hand-held computer display from active to not active - this is good). 2. disconnect the computer 3. start the engine with the black key (this is necessary and permanently disables the active state in the security system). You must use the BLACK colored key. push the trunk button on the dashboard in the cabin; you will hear the 'click' in the boot. Open the trunk from outside (depress the button). MOST IMPORTANTLY: TIP OUT THE MECHANIC GENEROUSLY - HE/SHE JUST SAVED YOU 200 BUCKS!
It surprises me that people think this is appropriate behavior. I'm on the forum looking for a way to help my customer *without* making him drive here and without charging him, and I bump into this. I suppose it seems outrageous to you that you'd be charged $200 to repair something which *might* only take a tech 15 minutes to address, but did you ever consider the cost of that Jaguar diagnostic tool they use? We just paid the $5000 bill for the software license for the next few months and picked up $14,000 worth (4) laptops. Did you consider the cost of the building? The lift we use when the repair takes more time? Do you walk into the kitchen at Pizza Hut and tell them you can make the pizza yourself so much cheaper? Have some respect.

It's one thing if you know a technician personally and he or she is doing something for you as a friend. Everyone has perks where they work and I'm always appreciative when a close friend does me a favor. But this isn't what you're suggesting. If you came to or called my dealership and asked for some help, I'd do my best to help you out. But if you approached my tech and offered to tip him -- basically stealing -- he'd tell you to talk to an advisor first. I would then make sure you never even heard the word coupon in this building. You get out of people/situations what you bring to the table. Maybe some dealership screwed you, I don't know. If you've had a bad experience somewhere, that stinks. I wish all advisors were as nice as I am. Seriously think about how disrespectful it is to approach this situation in the manner you're suggesting.

bdboyle (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze
if you have the master key open the trunk with it, and disconnect the battery (its in the trunk) for like 1 min and plug it back on. should reset the computer. if not take it to the dealer. sometimes they are free. just drive it straight into service. dont spend time talking to an advisor lol they try to find a way to charge you. look for a machanic walking around.
We have this jaguar this guy that you helped the thing is the trunk lock seems to be broke and we can't get in the trunk so we can unhook the battery and we dont know what to do help would be greatly appreciated.