XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

tech help - daytime running light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
Default tech help - daytime running light wiring

It's the idiot transplanting the '01 XJR into the Mark 2 again. I'd like to use the fog light switch/circuit to run daytime running lights. Is there any way to power this circuit when the ignition is switched on vs having to have the parking or headlamps switched on? I see a note in the manual for exterior lighting "DRL - BPM Program Function." Wondering if the body processing module can be reprogrammed for daytime running lights - as far as I know this was not available on U.S. cars in '01. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails tech help - daytime running light wiring-last-air-ride.jpg  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:46 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
It's the idiot transplanting the '01 XJR into the Mark 2 again. I'd like to use the fog light switch/circuit to run daytime running lights. Is there any way to power this circuit when the ignition is switched on vs having to have the parking or headlamps switched on? I see a note in the manual for exterior lighting "DRL - BPM Program Function." Wondering if the body processing module can be reprogrammed for daytime running lights - as far as I know this was not available on U.S. cars in '01. Any thoughts appreciated.
yes, it can be programmed. I had my dealer do it years ago on my 01 XJR

The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
Don B (01-14-2017), Doug Dooren (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
yes, it can be programmed. I had my dealer do it years ago on my 01 XJR
I think the dealer option was to have the headlights permanently on upon ignition, not the fog light switch circuit as Doug means (if I understand well).

I studied this as well, and all I came up with is using a hot wire at the front, and throw in some relays for switching them on and off as required.

The following users liked this post:
Doug Dooren (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There is a second DRL option. The Northern European market option. It differs
on when/how the designated DRL are on.

I was not pleased with either option, especially frying the low beam plastic
headlight housing all the time. So, I have all kinds of diodes, switches and
relays hung off my BPM to allow multiple configurations.

Last edited by plums; 01-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Doug Dooren (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Personally I think DRL's are dangerous and do far more harm than they do good. In countries like Sweden, Denmark and Norway where they have been commonplace for decades they were designed to work using the tail lights too. However more modern ones are these ridiculously bright LED things which more often than not don't work with the tail lights. As a consequence folk jump in their cars in the dark and drive with no rear lights, because the bright LEDs illuminate the road ahead and the instruments are lit too.

I have seen so many accidents as a result of these DRL's and driving with no tail lights. I am a professional driver and have spent my working life on the roads of Europe, so it's not just limited to the UK either.

If you do fit DRL, I would advise you to consider wiring in the tail lights also.

Doug Dooren (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Stu, I like the ridiculously bright LED things because they get your attention even in bright sunlight. For this reason though it's important that they not function when the headlights are on.
Bob, is there any way someone who knows positive from negative and little else when it comes to electronics can accomplish this, or should I move on to the next step in the project. Thanks guys.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Personally I think DRL's are dangerous and do far more harm than they do good. In countries like Sweden, Denmark and Norway where they have been commonplace for decades they were designed to work using the tail lights too. However more modern ones are these ridiculously bright LED things which more often than not don't work with the tail lights. As a consequence folk jump in their cars in the dark and drive with no rear lights, because the bright LEDs illuminate the road ahead and the instruments are lit too.

I have seen so many accidents as a result of these DRL's and driving with no tail lights. I am a professional driver and have spent my working life on the roads of Europe, so it's not just limited to the UK either.

If you do fit DRL, I would advise you to consider wiring in the tail lights also.
You may be interested to know that the original impetus behind DRL's was the
observed reduction in collision rates for intercity coaches in one of the Nordic countries.

The current implementation of DRL's with the lobbying of the manufacturers is a
disaster. Too many drivers think that DRL's are automatic headlights. This is exacerbated
by some implementations where the manufacturer wires the dash lights to come on with
the ignition. If the dash lights stayed off until the proper running lights were turned on
then the clueless might have a clue.

Running without tail lights in bad weather or after dark is a universal safety violation
and an easy ticket. Yet the police seem to be completely blind to the opportunity.

At one time, being the only car on the road with headlights on in the daytime was a
distinct advantage. Other drivers and pedestrians had no idea what was going on
and just naturally waited until the oddball vehicle passed. Now, it all just blends in.

v8deuce (09-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Whilst I understand that they are intended as a safety device, my opinion on them will not change. I understand that they may well grab a person's attention in bright sunlight, however a well trained and vigilant driver may have thought to turn their headlights on in such circumstances.

I was surprised first time I viewed one that even our cherished X308s have their gauges illuminated with lights off, but at least the switches remain extinguished until the exterior lights are activated. Many modern cars have full dash illumination regardless of exterior light condition. One of the worst offenders in this area are in fact the local Police, who use Hyundai vehicles whose dash boards light up like something from "Tron".

Now I've looked at the factory schematic for the X308 running lights for you and from what I can tell it is something that needs programming by IDS or equivalent. The only thing I can think of that works with the ignition is the 12v sockets, if you can perhaps hook into that circuit then you will probably be able to run your LED lights, I imagine their load will be quite light. The sockets have illumination, it may be possible to somehow take a signal from this to switch off the LEDs when the illumination for the sockets comes on with the headlights.

Last edited by Stu 1986; 01-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Doug Dooren (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The studies all say they work .. the insurance institute says they work. Depending on the vehicle and color -- some cars are very hard to see .. especially silver cars on gray winter days in the northeast USA. The 1/2 powered high beams IMO was the best way on the old halogen headlight setups.

Normally run my XJ's with the head lights on -- occasionally the running lights. I work in the world of Trauma -- anything I can to avoid .. I do.

Guess my first car with them was a SAAB -- think my900 had them -- know my 92 9000 had them. I also had a 94 Jeep GC that would turn on the lights with the wipers. This stuff shod be on every car -- they already have all the stuff to make it work.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:48 PM

I wish we were debating the intricacies of DRL wiring and not DRLs. I will add that anyone who's ridden a motorcycle knows how invisible you are to other drivers. I know that bright headlight is the first thing I see on an approaching bike in the daytime, so I can't imagine they don't help.

Stu, your idea to tap the lighter/accessory circuit for switched power and use the light circuit to override is brilliant. I'll have to look at the amp draw but I suspect the LEDs are nominal and won't even require relays. Many thanks. You have my vote for best forum advice to date in 2017.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The more bright lights there are on cars etc... the harder it will be to see bikes.

Not a good outcome.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Doug, I did not go into specifics, as I was expecting you wanted to use the existing lights to be used as DRL's, not using additional DRL's.

Now that is cleared, I installed my own (additional) DRL's some 3 months ago, and went through various options (that is for a x308, I have no idea how much you have left of that after the transplantation):

1. There is a switched plus in the engine bay fuse box, you can splice and use this if you want to have the DRL's coming on as most modern cars (front only, on ignition).

2. There is a plus from the parking lights (the small ones in the inside units).
These are normally off, but come on with the first click of the lighting.
This also switches on the side lights (USA version) and the tail lights.

I am with Stu on 'active' operation, as well as the tail lights on, and used the 2nd option.

I also used a normal relay to switch off the lights as soon as I switch on my headlights, and a small switch in the engine bay to switch them off altogether (this for my 1/2 year inspection).

I can provide you with the sketch of relay connection if needed.

Name:  P_20161228_131852.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  115.6 KB

Last edited by ericjansen; 01-15-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
Doug Dooren (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Those look like fog lights.

Here they're not allowed to be on except under certain weather conditions.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Those look like fog lights.
Here they're not allowed to be on except under certain weather conditions.
It is more the crappy picture, they are actually pretty directional, and only glow-up if you are in front of the car, at some distance.
Pretty much how it should be, and I simply hope it helps in being visible.

Here, no one really cares on legality (well, they have laws, but enforcement is not really happening).
Still, mine are far too low positioned, and I simply switch them off before inspection, just don't want to push it.
If they are off, they can't be really noticed (exactly as I wanted ).

Name:  P_20161228_131852_1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  145.0 KB

Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Front Fog Light use has become widespread in the UK now as a result of the DLR fad. Many people drive round with them on to achieve the DLR look, or even wire them as DLRs. I've been told by a Traffic Officer that as long as they're not dazzling anyone or causing an obvious distraction the Police won't pull them for it either.

On the MK 2 I would put the LED DLR bulbs in the side lights on the wing and fit Halogen Headlamp units with the facility to add the sidelight bulb there. That way you could achieve a nice stealthy install, but it's your car it's up to you.

Doug Dooren (01-16-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The studies all say they work ..
I agree that they work ... however the failure is in the implementation.

It causes witless occupants of the driver's seat to think that their
complete lighting system is lit up at night when in fact they are
invisible from the rear.

If head and tail lights illuminated together, then no problem.

It is the implementation where the manufacturer is allowed
to illuminate the high beams only, and not the tail lights
that is the problem.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
I wish we were debating the intricacies of DRL wiring and not DRLs. I will add that anyone who's ridden a motorcycle knows how invisible you are to other drivers. I know that bright headlight is the first thing I see on an approaching bike in the daytime, so I can't imagine they don't help.

Stu, your idea to tap the lighter/accessory circuit for switched power and use the light circuit to override is brilliant. I'll have to look at the amp draw but I suspect the LEDs are nominal and won't even require relays. Many thanks. You have my vote for best forum advice to date in 2017.
The lighter circuit only needs to drive a relay. Therefore, not
very much power. The main contacts on the relay can be
driven from any higher capacity fused source. You could tag
into the existing headlight source, or as I did .. use the relay
as an additional input driving the existing headlight relay.

The wiring diagrams also show two types of power sources
in the early section of the diagrams ... switched and non-switched
power.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 AM

I want to thank everyone again for the help wiring DRLs. Eric shared a relay diagram that even I was able to follow, and we tapped into ignition and parking light circuits at the main engine fuse block. The DRLs switch on with ignition and off with parking/headlamps on. The DRL bulbs are bright in the daylight but don't project enough light for driving at night, so there's little chance I'll be one of those idiots driving at night with no headlights/tail lights. Stu, I tried the brightest LEDs I could find for the wing parking lights but they're just too small to be effective as DRLs.

I had to install resistors on all 4 flasher circuits to keep the interior signal lights and sound clicker happy. I also installed LED tail and brake lights, and just noticed I'm getting a brake light error message - I'm assuming the lack of resistance might also be the problem there? Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails tech help - daytime running light wiring-drls.jpg   tech help - daytime running light wiring-led-parking-lights.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Glad I was able to help, I think those lights look super cool!
And yes, the tail lights are monitored, hence the warning if you use LED's.