XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Transmission Filter

What are everyones thoughts about transmission filters? Factory or aftermarket? Anyone have any bad things to report or filter not to use?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by larney
What are everyones thoughts about transmission filters? Factory or aftermarket? Anyone have any bad things to report or filter not to use?
Thanks
I refuse to pay silly OEM prices!
I have satisfactorily used aftermarket filters from Amazon ;o)

Old 01-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I have been using the ATP filter from Rockauto.com.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I always price out the correct part from an online dealer. That way I have a starting point -- in most cases that's a price of 20% off list retail. Some dealers charge over list at the parts counter -- not always an accurate view of the part cost.

If I can get the exact OE part in the aftermarket -- that's what I do. I have 4 other cars with the same transmission as my XJR's (made by MB) .. I had to do a service and purchased a MAAN filter (an OE maker for MB) .. it was not the same quality. I ordered the filter kit from my normal MB source. This surprised me as I buy Mann filters for MB's and Porsches all the time and find them to be exact replacements.

Your XJ has the ZF box in it -- I'm sure you can get relevant information regarding the filter from numerous sources. It's a widely used transmission and I'm sure a quality part is available. People always say -- all the same .. but this is not correct. You don't want any issues with an expensive transmission because you tried to save $15 dollars. Many of the filters are really just screens -- don't do much ... you don't want a cheap plastic one.

I'm sure with the vast number of ZF boxes produced you will find many replacements available -- that's not always good .. many cheap aftermarket parts are made in China/ India and sold with quality sounding names.

Maybe Motorcarman will chime in -- people who do theses on a regular basis know the parts.

Last edited by yeldogt; 01-19-2017 at 09:22 AM.