XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Weird Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Jag's doing the same thing. I notice that if I just cruise it, It wont leak. But if I roughin it a little, It will give me that leak on front of the driver side. I was thinking the holding tank may be cracked or has a pin hile in it somewhere

Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here, Ron my car and your car must have the same mother, seems the same issues are perfectly timed, too bad you don't live in south florida. I found that coolant tank yesterday after trying to trace the puddle of coolant back from the inside of my bumper. There is a lower portion of the bumper (underside) that unscrews to give you access. When I seen the tank I unscrewed this portion to gain access. Sure enough it was dripping right off the end of that tank (I didn't know it existed either). Thats as far as I got without jacking it up and taking anything else apart yet. FYI, my car is doing this without a thermostat in it! As a matter of fact Advanced auto just called to tell me its here ($22). My thoughts are that maybe I need a new radiator cap. Just have to find where to get a new one and give that a shot before ripping the whole car apart.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It sure sounds like a radiator cap. The spring in the cap is starting to fail and hold pressure. Therefore the coolant takes the path of least resistance and that happens to be to the expansion tank in front of the left wheelwell. The expansion tank overflows and now you have your puddle. A new cap should fix your problem.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm... weird I thought I posted an update to this...

My issue seems to have been the lines going into the top of the expansion tank (the one with the cap) were not connected correctly. Basically to 2 hard plastic lines that go to the top of the radiator and the one that goes to the "recovery" tank were NOT "crossed". i.e. they were not connected correctly....

When you look at it the lines should be crossed over each other.

I guess in my adventures of working on it I disconnected both of the lines and then I just reconnected them in the most logical manner.... that was a mistake :-)

Last edited by ronmexico; 07-28-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The 'atmospheric catchment tank' (as it is called) has a round hole in the side of it a few inches from the bottom to keep the level from becoming too high. If the coolant cap is faulty or the engine is actually running hot then the tank will overfill and dump coolant on the ground. The black plastic 'overflow' hose from the coolant reservoir must be inserted into the catchment tank deep enough for the fluid to be drawn back in when the engine cools enough and a slight vacuum is formed. If the black tube is pulled from the tank you will 'suck air' and the system will be low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure the hose is pushed in far enough and the cap is operating properly.

You might replace the cap anyway as cheap insurance.

When ever I top up an XJ8 cooling system I always fill it to the top, place my palm over the top of the reservoir and squeeze one of the radiator hoses to displace some coolant into the catchment tank in case it is low. If some spills on the floor then I know it is FULL.

bob gauff
I so need help I had my 01xk8 in the shop they replaced thermostat and housing now when i stop my car i hear gurgling or boiling and antifreeze all on my driveway however coolant reservoir is full???? I'm unsure where these hoses go that are on my coolant reservoir the front one is going directly to radiator, the second however is going nowhere just hanging loosely with no clamps and i mean just hanging down by motor i cannot locate the recovery tank. As standing in front of my car I saw the mechanic with a hose putting something in what he called a recovery tank which was behind i thought the passenger wheel well I'm so confused

Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Default jag 01 xk8

Originally Posted by jrecw1
I so need help I had my 01xk8 in the shop they replaced thermostat and housing now when i stop my car i hear gurgling or boiling and antifreeze all on my driveway however coolant reservoir is full???? I'm unsure where these hoses go that are on my coolant reservoir the front one is going directly to radiator, the second however is going nowhere just hanging loosely with no clamps and i mean just hanging down by motor i cannot locate the recovery tank. As standing in front of my car I saw the mechanic with a hose putting something in what he called a recovery tank which was behind i thought the passenger wheel well I'm so confused
my email is jrecw1@msn.com or phone with any help pls my number is 8706889826 thankyou so much I am trying to assure no problems as to make a trip to Louisiana to see my dying sister thankyou.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Default T-Stat

I had the same prob, with my Jag. It would build up temp and would shut it out underneigth the front driver side. and the Temp. was always at the middle between hot and cold. I figured out that I had no T-stat. Sure enough I didn't. Solved the prob by changing T-stat housing and T-Stat for $72.00

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2003 XJ8 has the same problem. Bubbling coolant, leaking out of expansion tank. Could this be a water pump or something minor? And if it was a radiator cap how would I be able to tell? I will also check to make sure the hose is in the tank deep enough. Is your guys worse when the ac is on? mine is.
Thank you

Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I just spoke with a Jaguar mechanic and he too suspetcs a faulty hose. I will repost tuesday with the results and hopefully help somebody else save some money and worry .

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by chernobee
My 2003 XJ8 has the same problem. Bubbling coolant, leaking out of expansion tank. Could this be a water pump or something minor? And if it was a radiator cap how would I be able to tell? I will also check to make sure the hose is in the tank deep enough. Is your guys worse when the ac is on? mine is.
Thank you
Could be a thermostat and housing as mentioned as a fix in the above post, the 03's have the later non problematic waterpump, so answer one of your questions, no to the pump. Are the fans working?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM

yes i believe so. the ac and heater works too. I just looked at the reservoir on top <the black one with the hoses> and they aren't criss-crossed. I am hoping that will fix it. One hose looks like it needs to be replaced too because it looks like it broke in the middle and the last guy just rammed each end into a slightly bigger, rubber hose and clamped it off... Should the RH side of the reservoir connect to the overflow tank, and the LH side connect to the top of the radiator? Because mine is hooked up the exact opposite . How do you unhook the hoses? It looks like it may just spin off but im sure theres a trick to it. Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Oh and how far into the overflow tank should i ram the hose? mine just seems to be "molded" inst a half coil near the light and then goes down in there

Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by louisgar
I had the same prob, with my Jag. It would build up temp and would shut it out underneigth the front driver side. and the Temp. was always at the middle between hot and cold. I figured out that I had no T-stat. Sure enough I didn't. Solved the prob by changing T-stat housing and T-Stat for $72.00

I don't see how not having a thermostat would cause this issue, can you explain a little more? I've driven cars w/o thermostats and as far as I know that simply means the car takes longer to warm up and that the coolant is constantly circulating (so why would it be boiling?). You may be right, I'm just trying to understand how it could be so.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 AM

Yup. The hoses werent crisscrossed. runs great now!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM

Well my theory is if it does not have a T-STAT the temp will always get hotter as you drive the car. Cause the T-STAT blocks the water in the radiator and cools until the water in the engine reaches its proper temp. Which depends on the T-Stat degrees you have . Mine is 170 now. Anyways. The water from the radiator them seeps into the block with cool water and the hot one goes to the radiator and cools down.. If you have no T-Stat the temp will never drop and if you are stuck in traffick it just gets hotter and hotter.

PS: But I still had the recovery tank overflowing. So I am going to get a new resevoir cap. I seems to have a spring loaded thermostat as well on the rad. Cap.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Well my theory is if it does not have a T-STAT the temp will always get hotter as you drive the car. Cause the T-STAT blocks the water in the radiator and cools until the water in the engine reaches its proper temp. Which depends on the T-Stat degrees you have . Mine is 170 now. Anyways. The water from the radiator them seeps into the block with cool water and the hot one goes to the radiator and cools down.. If you have no T-Stat the temp will never drop and if you are stuck in traffick it just gets hotter and hotter.

PS: But I still had the recovery tank overflowing. So I am going to get a new resevoir cap. I seems to have a spring loaded thermostat as well on the rad. Cap.
Well the thermostat stays closed only until the engine is warm or operating temperature. Then the thermostat opens to allow coolant to flow freely. It does not close again until the car is off and it has cooled. This is exactly why people warm up there cars (or should) before just driving off. The function of the radiator and radiator fan is to cool the coolant that has just passed through the hot engine, on its way back into the hot engine. If an engine were to remain running with hot coolant trapped in it (not freely flowing) then the engine would begin to overheat. The combination of radiator and radiator fan is all that should be necessary to keep the coolant at the correct temperature to protect your engine. I also installed a new thermostat this morning, did not resolve the issue. I have my money on needing a new cap, hopefully that's the case for both of us.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM

I just ordered a new cap for less than $10 including shipping (I also live in south florida), from Rockauto.com.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I have my car in the shop for this same issue. It periodicaly dumps coolant from the front left - forward of the front wheel after driving and them parking.
While I have not seen it happen, I can believe coolant in the recovery tank could be boiling. I am no scientist but if I remember, the coolant in the system is under pressure which raises it's boiling point. If that same coolant were to move into the secondary tank (un-pressurized) at the same temp as it was when under pressure ... it may start to boil.

Just my two cents.

Joe
98 VDP

Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM

My issue turned out to be a bad heater control valve.

Joe
98 VDP

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM

I had then same problem and it turned out to be crisscrossed lines off the header tank that the mechanic actually put back incorrectly. The scary part is how much coolant needs to be added once you put them back in the correct position. From what I could tell the engine is dumping coolant into the expansion tank and it leaks out once it gets to a certain level. The coolant light comes on and in my case it eventually went into limp mode.

Quick Reply: Weird Coolant Leak