XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I've got the rear sun blinds in my car, I kept them from the Super V8 Interior I had in my old XJ8. They are useful for keeping the sun out when the car is parked.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Thanks for the info Scott and Stu, appreciated!

Just did a quick check, but they are on "Please contact us", so that might not be too good news ...
I don't even think they are very useful, being hand operated, but it kind of adds to the semi classic feeling of the car, and I would love to have one on the shelf.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I personally like the smaller tail lights on the X308, it's another retro styling cue.
Well, I do agree with you Stu, and I actually understand why Jaguar went back to the 1 pit on each side in relation to the body design.

However, I am surrounded by silly and night-blind scooter drivers here in Taiwan (everyone been here knows what I mean), and I hope and prey that some extra light might prevent me from being rear ended by one of those idiots ... probably not ...
And I always have a spanking new set of tail lights in a box, as most if not all my modifications are 'reversible'.

Here an impression of the traffic at rush hour:

Old 01-03-2017, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

I've seen this type of thing before, I have a friend living in Vietnam, my brother lives in S. Korea and another friend lives in Tokyo. They've all sent me photos of either mad traffic or rammed public transport systems. Crazy, and people wonder why I smirk when they complain about "overcrowding" on public transport in the UK.

Jaguar Classic Parts are good, if it says contact them that's not necessarily a bad sign. However I do occasionally come across them for sale new and used so if I find one I'll send you a link.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought mine and drove it home!!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I won a set of Genuine NOS Jaguar X308 "Snow Socks" on eBay, they were ridiculously cheap and I got there just at the end of the auction. Handy thing to have because you never know when something like that might come in handy. That said I've driven X308s in some pretty deep snow and never got stuck.

I also fired her up because I needed to move her out the way to access the lawn, left her running for 20 minutes. Got back in afterwards to move her back and noticed that the air was only lukewarm. So I've added new thermostat and aux pump investigation to my list of "To-Do's". No big deal.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I won a set of Genuine NOS Jaguar X308 "Snow Socks" on eBay
I had to google 'snow socks', as I honestly had no idea what they were.
After learning, feels good not to need them.

Stu, on the heater, did you reverse flush the matrix?
In my case, one reverse burst was enough to restore heat after years of non functioning.
Easy try and might prevent you from opening up or replacing the pump.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I love driving through the snowy stuff and getting to work to have people go "must be that's all wheel drive?" Nope. Just decent all-seasons and knowing how to actually drive a RWD in the white stuff. I won't lie though, an XJR with AWD... that'd be something fun indeed. Maybe once it's paid off....

Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I had to google 'snow socks', as I honestly had no idea what they were.
After learning, feels good not to need them.

Stu, on the heater, did you reverse flush the matrix?
In my case, one reverse burst was enough to restore heat after years of non functioning.
Easy try and might prevent you from opening up or replacing the pump.
LOL I probably won't ever need to use them, but it's good to have that little bit of back up on board. I've seen these in action and they do actually work well.

With regards to my heating, I haven't even looked at it. It's freezing cold here, hail, rain, sleet and windy. The last thing I want to do is stand out in all that playing with parts which will cause me to get wet and cold(er). When the weather warms up a bit I'm going to give the engine a full hit including alloy cooling tower, new belt, new oil and filters, new plugs, cleaning MAF etc basically everything. Being a 2002 car it shouldn't have the plastic tensioners, but I'm not taking that for granted so will be checking that for piece of mind.

Originally Posted by CharlzO
I love driving through the snowy stuff and getting to work to have people go "must be that's all wheel drive?" Nope. Just decent all-seasons and knowing how to actually drive a RWD in the white stuff. I won't lie though, an XJR with AWD... that'd be something fun indeed. Maybe once it's paid off....
I remember reading on this forum somewhere that Jaguar originally had plans to make the X308 AWD as there are clues on the floor plan and front axles. I think it was one of the big tech guys like Bob or Count Ibis who mentioned it.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Summary of past few free days..
Junkyard came through with more treasure, this time with a set of chrome Pentas in reasonable condition. Cracked a 1/2 inch drive extender getting the lug nuts off, but I got them free after enough violence. Would have preferred silver instead of chrome, and asteroids instead, but hey, money saved. Much better than the ugly chrome 20's I bought the car with..

Yes please.

Also, crawled around under the rear end to inspect all the bushings. Pleasantly surprised, only need to do the big foam spring isolators, which was expected, and might need to do the big A frame bushings soon. Possibly the upper pendulum bushes, but those are hard to inspect. Found that the flexible part of the high pressure fuel line (?) connected to the fuel filter was kinked at a 90 degree angle. Sigh... Dropped the rear mufflers while wheels were out, just to hear how it sounded. Mufflers came out with barely a fight. Gotta have some fun after crawling on your back.

Top left, right as it comes out of the shielding hose.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
Junkyard came through with more treasure, this time with a set of chrome Pentas in reasonable condition
I agree, that is a much better look than those awful 20", and your ride comfort will be restored to how a Jaguar should ride.

Spend some time to clean up the Penta's, and after install they will look more than decent, even if their condition is not perfect.
I am not a fan of chrome (at all), but I must admit that they do well with x308, especially if fitted with the full chrome window rims, as your car has.

Dropped the rear mufflers while wheels were out, just to hear how it sounded. Mufflers came out with barely a fight. Gotta have some fun after crawling on your back
And how did they sound ?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Not loud enough but definitely something I'd consider doing as a daily-able mod. The best way to describe it, at least from what I heard starting and some revving on jacks, is that it's got a bit more "bite" to it. I've got some crappy cell phone videos of it I'll upload when I remember to do so...

I'm excited to get the wheels sorted, been having a nagging uncertainty in the ride over bumps, and out-of-round tires preventing proper highway driving, which is really the XJR's place to shine. Now just need to decide if I want to spend a somewhat high amount on entry level tires while suspension is sorted, or more on a decent set of tires to just keep longer. Local tire place gave me a reasonable deal on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position which I'm leaning towards. All my common sense says pay the price for the nicer tires now...

Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member

Those Pentas look better in Chrome than they do in standard colour IMO. Defiantly better than the after market things that were fitted, Well Done.

I'm looking to work on my exhaust system when the weather improves, I'd be interested to hear the sound in your videos.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Done. Two videos, first is a cold start and quick walk-around. Slight chirping from the belt drive which I can't seem to pin down...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f...ew?usp=sharing

Second video is once it's warmed up a bit, revving and hitting the 3k rpm park idler a few times. For some reason it never focused properly. Weird buzz noise near the start is my phone buzzing from a text.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f...ew?usp=sharing

Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Done. Two videos
Confirms that removing the end cans adds just a little bit, but I also read that removing them can cause droning.
I guess you will put everything together as it was, right?

On the chirp, I had the exact same, getting worse when colder.
Mine was just replaced when I bought the car, and I managed 3 years to spray them sometimes with belt dressing, but it always comes back.
It is the top surface layer of the belt wearing down.

Just bought a new Gates belt some months ago when I ordered other parts, and it is good ever since.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I didn't have any new piping to stick in place so I just put the mufflers back as they were. Just the bolted strap to lock the pipe on, and it all pretty much slides together. My exhaust did look surprisingly rust free though. I guess getting some pipe bent and routed roughly correct to test drone and sound couldn't cost too much, but that's a project for warmer days.

I had actually just bought a new Gates belt a week ago due to very bad squealing at cold, caused by my old one being worn in the way you said. One of my steel acc pulleys is smooth painted steel (gates) which caused very bad squealing on the old belt, while the other one is a much nicer Uro (they seem to be okay when it's not suspension bits?) with a rougher textured surface, which didn't make any noise on the old belt. I might need a new tensioner anyway, was getting some weird hum/warbling from the belt at idle that seemed like the common low belt tension symptom. Of course it would be easy to test this by just "adding" tension by pushing on the tensioner with a wrench, but it's been too warm for either of those to happen. Maybe just roughing up the pulley with sandpaper will fix it. If I do get a new belt tensioner, I'll just hope it comes with a nicer idler, stick the Uro in the fixed idler spot, and keep the Gates in case of explosion or something.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the videos, it's shown me what I needed to see. I too am waiting for warmer and drier weather to start playing with my car again.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

We had a warm, foggy day yesterday, so I took it out for a good mid-January spin to make sure the battery is charged and to circulate all the fluids. I don't really shut it down and winterize it, so I try to get it out on the road at least once a month. Since I generally try not to drive when there's a lot of snow and salt on the roads, a nice January thaw is just the thing I was waiting for.

Last edited by Patioboater; 01-24-2017 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ericjansen (02-09-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleaned all the leather seats waiting for some leather dye to bring them up nicely

Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Hello all:

On Friday, the mesh grille I ordered came in. I installed it on Saturday.
Wow, what a difference..

BTW, great article in Jaguar Magazine about the history of Castle Bromwich and the old Dunlop facility. LOVED the old pictures. Very well written.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?