XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1988 XJ6 VP Repair Costs Or Walk?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1988 XJ40 VP Repair Costs Or Walk?

I visited a little Jag for sale in my neighborhood.
Wondering if a good one to start fixing up or too much trouble?
What to offer?
It is heavily worn inside with cracked dash.
The rear power windows do not work.
All the door handles are loose and difficult to open
The power steering reservoir is leaking.
The brakes are soft with brake warning light on.
It has passed smog and currently registered.
250,000 miles
Driven 1,400 miles over the past year.
Valve cover gasket is leaking.
Electronics controls appear to work
The A/C is moderately cool.
The third or fourth owner is asking $2500 OBO.
I have not taken it for a drive on the freeway yet or to a Jag mechanic.
Drives well and changes gears (automatic) well.
It had a little shift with sharp U-turn.
Please send a good past forum links for information on costs and repair difficulties.

Thanks for your expertise,
Maria

Last edited by MarylaLuna; 04-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

hi,
too many issues, too much price. That's a XJ-40, not a XJ-6, they also have an issue with the rear suspension that requires modifications, pass on it, you can get a nicer example for the same amount or less. The 1988 XJ-40 also has electrical issues. It is a nice Jag to have, if you find a nice example.

The following users liked this post:
MarylaLuna (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Default Thanks Jose.

[Exactly the advice I needed. Onmy way to a great love affair w jags.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Maria,

I've moved your question from XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III to XJ40 forum. Members here with the same model you are considering will be able to help.

I can't comment on CA values (I'm in the UK where used Jaguars values are very much lower) but as a general observation, it always costs a lot more to fix up a neglected Jaguar than it does to pay extra for a good one.

Graham

MarylaLuna (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 AM

Hello Graham,
Thank you for friendly welcome. So far I have calculated at least $4400 in possible repairs (parts only) since there are no maintenance records on the rear suspension or electrical wiring/breakers or the ABS brakes. I would offer at the most third of the asking price after I take it to mechanic. Definitely a project car, that would take me some time to repair and not take on a long trip, but I would definitely learn about refurbishing old cars. Maybe start on an old ford or chevy since the parts would be cheaper. as you know there is extensive electrical system and many motors on this car.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

MaryLaLuna:
Sounds like you've already gotten your answer, but yes - walk away. Because of the prices of these things, I would have a hard time getting 3K for my '91 that is showroom nice. This car is worth less than a grand, and even then, who is going to spend the time and money?
Rule of thumb is always: buy the BEST Jaguar for the money. By all means, however, keep looking!
cheers,
Scott

MarylaLuna (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Mary,

Drive the car. See for yourself how it feels on the road. I'm in disagreement (I'm not arguing a point, simply a different perspective) with the generalizations made. Everything you listed on your original post I have dealt with on my vehicle. It's 26 years old!!! Most vehicles are not concourse condition at 26.

I think the parts expense you listed is high, no doubt you did your home work, but there are components I would not replace with exact like components. The rear suspension and brake system can be converted for under 1K..... and with the conversion, you will never have to deal with them again (except maint.), I converted mine 10 years ago, never had I had an issue with the conversions.

All other items are easy repairs. There are DIY door handle repairs in the forum. The cam cover gasket replacement with new screws is under $18. Get the AC recharged (if possible in CA R12), or have the retro fit done for the R134 for about $200. All other items need to be investigated before judgement made, could be simply an issue of cleaning grounds and connectors.

The dash can be repaired and you are fortunate enough to have a specialty shop in So. Cal. that handles resurfacing those style dashes. I know exactly whats wrong with it (why it cracked) without seeing it. The dash assembly is actually the air delivery box for the AC/Heat system. It's probably separated on the side that faces the firewall and the air is escaping out the front of the box, rather than through the fascia vents, thus your observation of "AC moderately cool"

Electrical problems are most frequently related to either a bad solder joint, or dirty grounds. There are not ugly monsters hiding in the wiring looms throughout the car, that devour humans and the owner is never heard from again. Simple fixes! They may be tedious to track down, but not expensive to repair.

I saw the pic in your album, the exterior looks really nice, especially those chromed rims. My car was originally purchased in Torrance, and I have the 20 spoke chrome rims, except a different style hub center cover.

I agree with your approach, except drive the vehicle, and offer $500 -750. They're probably hedging a bet because it's a Jag they can ask more, even though in disrepair. Armed with your extensive list of parts, you may be able to get them to back down. I wouldn't pay more than 1k, you can recover that in just the rims. Those rims sell for $325 each at a So. Cal shop.

There, that's at least twenty five cents worth, possible fifty...

Good luck

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 04-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.
93SB (05-14-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 AM

BTW,

Forgot to mention, there is a positive in your list. The fact the vehicle passed CA emissions testing is a plus. In regard to the slight "shift" during a sharp radius turn, the bushing probably need replacing, along with the other soft front end components, especially at 250K miles Parts are not expensive, but labor intensive.

MarylaLuna (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Default Offered and Refused

Hello Guys,

The owner was angry with my very low offer and didn't counter. He is willing to hold for someone to buy for parts or sell off the wheel rims at least.

He claims not be a Jag person and to not know about the car's repair needs.
He said he thought the rear door issues were because of a child safety lock.
There are no child safety locks on this particular car. I checked.

The car drove well, just not interested selling off the parts myself.

So there is a Jag still for sale in Riverside, if you want those nice Jag rims!

Thanks. On to the next one.
Back to work.
Maria

Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
BTW,

Forgot to mention, there is a positive in your list. The fact the vehicle passed CA emissions testing is a plus. In regard to the slight "shift" during a sharp radius turn, the bushing probably need replacing, along with the other soft front end components, especially at 250K miles Parts are not expensive, but labor intensive.
Hello Rob,

That car is still sitting there. Should I offer more to compensate for the $1,200 worth of wheels? I agree with you, the car itself with any other kind of wheel is not worth more than $1,000 with the condition and miles. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Does one actually make an offer including the value of parting it out?
I thinking once I got the cat grabbed by the tail; I am going to say, "oh....."
But it would be a fun and pretty tinkerer project.
Thanks, Maria

Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylaLuna
Hello Rob,

That car is still sitting there. Should I offer more to compensate for the $1,200 worth of wheels? I agree with you, the car itself with any other kind of wheel is not worth more than $1,000 with the condition and miles. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Does one actually make an offer including the value of parting it out?
I thinking once I got the cat grabbed by the tail; I am going to say, "oh....."
But it would be a fun and pretty tinkerer project.
Thanks, Maria
Hi MarylaLuna,

I've been watching your thread with interest, wondering which way you might go. Just for reference, here in Nashville a few months ago there was a gorgeous 1994 XJ40 listed on Craigslist. In the photos, it appeared to be damage free with a very clean interior, good paint and good tires. The owner said the car ran well, but had "an electrical problem." The asking price? $500.00. If I wasn't already out of room in the garage and driveway, I'd have snatched it!

But even with the valuable wheels on the car in your neighborhood, the equation begins to shift in favor of finding a better car with fewer issues for $2,000 to $3,000. My instinct would be to let the owner sit on the car a while longer and then go back with your low offer again after he's seen how little interest there is at his current asking price.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-24-2014 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-10-2014), MarylaLuna (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Talking

Hi Don,

Thanks for your interest. Yes I am going to wait it out until I get over the romance.
I am too busy this weekend anyways. If still there next week, I will call him then with a low offer again. The smog and tags expire this month.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM

A base model 1991 xj6 sold for 1200 on eBay in next town over today.
Yes, I told the owner his price was set for a mint condition very low mileage model.
I trust all the advice on JF. Thanks !

Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Yes I am going to wait it out until I get over the romance. If still there next week, I will call him then with a low offer again. The smog and tags expire this month.
If his registration expires this month....by all means wait and see how he feels about getting a CA smog certificate..... in fact, make him get the certificate, his reluctance to do so may be telling......

I wouldn't give more than $750 based on your description. My reference to the wheels was an analytical consideration of readily salable parts vs. your cash outlay. I don't think you would get $750 for the rims, perhaps $600 for the used set, the 20 spoke chromed teardrops are not common rims.

Keep your eyes on ebay, I've seen some beautiful XJ40's in So. Cal. at reasonable prices through the years.

This is what mine look like.

Attached Thumbnails 1988 XJ6 VP Repair Costs Or Walk?-1%7E1031704466a.jpg  
MarylaLuna (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM

Here's a sweet ride, only 20K original miles, garage kept...... except it's in New Hampshire..... bummer... only $1400 to ship

Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas | eBay

Why don't you add this one to your watch list and see what they do with a pristine condition XJ40..... asking 4K, but no bidders.....yet.

MarylaLuna (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Default NH Jag

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Here's a sweet ride, only 20K original miles, garage kept...... except it's in New Hampshire..... bummer... only $1400 to ship

Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas | eBay

Why don't you add this one to your watch list and see what they do with a pristine condition XJ40..... asking 4K, but no bidders.....yet.

Yes I saw that one earlier this week, I recall it was much cheaper list price.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks Rob for explaining the rational on the wheels. I will look for better cars and just ask my talented friend to give it a custom paint job. Have you seem a black Jag with jaguar spots (with ghost pearl)? Someday you will!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Have you seem a black Jag with jaguar spots (with ghost pearl)? Someday you will!
MarylaLuna,

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing a Jag with ghost pearl spots! Hope your dream comes true soon.

Cheers,

Don

MarylaLuna (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

IMHO that sounds like it needs to much for the cost. KBB on a 94 (it doesn't go back that far) calls the value at about $1600 and thats for fair value.

I understand the age issue and its not new anymore but that one sounds cosmetically rough and mechanically rough as well.

MarylaLuna (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 AM
Default because it was a jaguar...

everyone feels better .

love it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 XJ6 VP Repair Costs Or Walk?