Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Classics ) > XJ40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ40 1986 - 1994

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Default 1993 XJ6 "Anti-Lock" and "Brake" light on, and brake hard

Hello, I have a 1993 XJ6, Lately a lot of problems had arise, I fix one thing something else fails.

recently changed spark plug and cap and rotor, that failed.

power steering hoes was replaced, and when driving the brake lights came on both anti lock and brake light on bottom.

Could any one give me some suggestions what I can do? to fix this brake problem.

Right now i am planning on buying the brake sensors, for only fronts? or all 4 front and rear?

if that doesnt fix it, what else could it be?

Thanks any info would happily appreciated. the car runs strong, need to fix this and get my A/C working to be more complete.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Hi:
Welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the 'new members' section. We like to stay really friendly around here!

My gut reaction was a failing accumulator sphere. To check, turn key to position II (without starting) and allow the pump to run until the ABS and Brake lights are extinguished. With ignition still on, pump the pedal two times and the pump will again recharge the sphere. Then turn the car off, and you should have a good 25-30 pumps of the pedal before it goes hard. If it goes hard right away - bingo; Very likely a sphere not holding pressure.

Again welcome!
Scott
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM

alright, the ABS and Brake lights does not extinguish? reset the battery and same thing. The brake pedals are still stiff.

So the only thing need replaced is the accumulator sphere itself, a sphere thats attached to the accumulator? from between which particular year can i buy this if used?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM

If the Brake and Anti-Lock lights do not go out and the brake pressure is always hard the electric pump may be not operating. Check to see if the booster motor is operating and check the fuse feeding it to see if it is blown.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 AM

I just wanted to say that replacing the accumulator had fix the problem, I bought the part used online, I actually replaced the whole thing, not just the ball but the accumulator itself. easy, took 5 minutes.

I now would like to get the A/C to work, I'll start a seperate thread.

Thanks everyone who had chimmed in.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Tags
1993, 93, accumulator, anti, antilock, brake, hard, jaguar, light, lock, panel, pedal, problem, sphere, xj40, xj6