XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 Jaguar XJ6 Not Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow 94 Jaguar XJ6 Not Starting Issue

Hey everyone! Thanks for directing me in this direction. I'm hoping to find out whats up with my car. When I bought the Jag in Sept 2012 I was told it was with it's second owner, garage kept for all it's years, no major issues, I could get in it and drive it to Florida, which is my intention in June 2013 if I can fix it! It's about 20 degrees outside. I dont know if that is part of the issue, but my car isnt starting. I drove it a couple of times and then it stopped turning over, just clicking and then nothing. Since then I've replaced the battery, the fuel throttle sensor, the fuel pump, the drivers side kick panel, another fuse box that runs the turn signals on the drivers side, door handles, trunk latch...I know there's gotta be something else in there. After I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago it started up, no issues. I work at home and dont drive it often so it sits in the garage, not being started daily. I went out there on Monday and it turned over but didnt fire, didnt start. I pumped the heck out of the gas peddle and eventually it started, with a cloud of dark smoke coming out of the tailpipe. That was on Monday. On Tuesday, it wouldnt start. On Wednesday it wouldnt start. I thought maybe the battery again, but it's at 95% so that should be alright. I read that it could be the coolant temperature sensor... It seems the car has been garaged, but very neglected. I have put SO MUCH money into this car already. I've paid one of the only Jag mechanics a lot of money to not get down to the nitty gritty of this problem. I know other things needed replaced, but I'd like my car to run, and stay running... Could it be that it doesnt like the cold? Could it be the sensor? It just doesnt seem to be getting the kick it needs to start. It seems to want to, but cant get it to... HELP!! PLEASE!! I love my car. I've always wanted a car just like this. I know there will be issues sometimes, but man... I really want to take it with me in June. I appreciate any and all help!! THANK YOU!!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

I've moved your question from the US Mid West Region section to the XJ40 section.

This is the place to advice from all members with the same model.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Aliss72 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Aliss72,

Welcome. Start with the simple stuff first. It sounds like you may have an issue with the system maintaining fuel pressure at the rail/injectors.

Do this, turn your key to Position II only (don't turn it over) and wait a few seconds, then turn it to crank the engine. Some people actually cycle the system, meaning they turn the key back and forth to Position II several times before they attempt to crank the engine.

Need to make sure you have fuel at the rail, you may be losing pressure when it sits, which may indicate a problem with the FPR (fuel pressure regulator)

Not implying this is the magic bullet, but need to determine the fuel delivery is present.

Are you sure you calibrated the TPS (throttle position sensor) properly?

The following users liked this post:
Aliss72 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've forwarded that question to my mechanic and also let him know what you said. I appreciate your imput VERY much!! It makes sense... It seems to do fine once it's been started.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Aliss72:
Welcome again. Have your mechanic swap out the fuel pump relay with another one that's known to be working and see if that makes a difference. I think the relay on a '94 is located in the trunk behind the carpet on the right side toward the rear tail light.

This is an interesting problem. I think Rob is right in that if you haven't already, you're truly going to need to determine if you have pressure at the fuel rail that is sustained. If you've got fuel, then it seems to me you will need to begin looking at spark. There are a number of rabbit trails there....

Rob, am I right in thinking that an easy -but not foolproof - way of checking the fuel pressure regulator is to pop off the vacuum line while the car is running, and if fuel squirts out, the regulator is bad? That would be another easy 'check'...

Report back and we'll throw out more ideas!

Best of luck,
Scott