XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

body kit ... xjr ... twr ... other

Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

umm my paint's factory

I'm planning on repainting it when I get home from deployment, I did replace the rims though

I'll say that I don't think it's a waste to want to sport up the old xj if it makes you smile. Besides if the chrome bits on your bumper are getting bad and the rubber bumper portion is looking it's age. Why not do something different when your repairing it.

Last edited by ArmyJag; 01-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
umm my paint's factory

(even better, I thought that you had had it painted, my mistake).

I'll say that I don't think it's a waste to want to sport up the old xj if it makes you smile. Besides if the chrome bits on your bumper are getting bad and the rubber bumper portion is looking it's age. Why not do something different when your repairing it.
I am showing my age, please make allowances. Of course you do to your car whatever you want to.

There was once a member called "bodykits" who did have a website, something like 'love body kits' don't know if they are any good, or any use.

One thing, do we get to see a pic or two of the car as it is now?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Mine looks just like it does in the pics, those were taken shortly before the last time I saw her Well maybe not by now I'm sure the blankets that were put over her are covered in boxes by my wife

Last edited by ArmyJag; 01-14-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 AM

well I had the wife take pictures of the chorme bits on the jag including the leeper, and sent them to a local powder coating establishment for a quote. They can do it all in a nickle finish for about $400 so I'm thinking of going that route. Also after seeing how reasonable it was I'm thinking of sending the pics on the rims and have them done to match.

I know it's money on a car that really has no resale value as pointed out. Doing updates such as this and repairs to improve it's looks or performance are still cheaper than a car payment

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
well I had the wife take pictures of the chorme bits on the jag including the leeper, and sent them to a local powder coating establishment for a quote. They can do it all in a nickle finish for about $400 so I'm thinking of going that route. Also after seeing how reasonable it was I'm thinking of sending the pics on the rims and have them done to match.

I know it's money on a car that really has no resale value as pointed out. Doing updates such as this and repairs to improve it's looks or performance are still cheaper than a car payment
That seems very reasonable. Will you get to see colour samples before you launch the attack?

I think my problem was that the price of the Kit + shipping + fitting + filling + painting was going to equate to around twice the value of the car, and it is not something like wheels or a sound system that can be removed before either selling or scrapping the car.

Mind you I once chopped a perfectly good family Range Rover down into a pickup, rivetted chequer plate all over it and stuck a Perkins tractor diesel engine in it coupled to a 4 speed manual with overdrive, giving 16 forward and 4 reverse, just for Off Roading.

So who am I to talk.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Got pics of that

I'm a rover nut also...

they are sending me pictures of completed parts, if I like what I see and can get it all stripped before my R&R is over I'll try to drop them off so they will be done when I get home. Plus then I'll be half way stripped for repaint to.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'll try to dig out some pics. Unfortunately I am from the days before digital cameras, and I was usually behind the wheel.

However this is a low res scan of my 1955 Series One 86 hybrid Landy in action in the South of France 14 years ago. It started life as Chassis no 998 and then I got it.

This is actually another reincarnation of the afore mention Range Rover, which ended up being just too bashed about and so had to go, although it ran great under water, another story).

The chassis was salvaged from the Range Rover and then using a Haynes manual and the 86" as a measuring reference I chopped it in half, removed 14" from the middle, and joined it back together. (butt, puddle and plate welds)

Also changed all the outriggers and rear X member.

Gave it a body and suspension lift and bolted the S1 body back on. To create an 86" coiler with disc brakes.

Then stuck in a 3.9l V8, power steering and away I went.

I eventually sold it but still miss it. I think I know where it is, so who knows.....

Last edited by Translator; 01-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 AM

I know right now I'm in negotiations on a series II 109 but if I get it the RRC has to go away, which seems like I'm loosing a family member seeing as how long she has been in the drive...

So OP did you go ahead and get the kit or find anymore options in the USA lol

Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just been fooling around with my 4x4 hunting/woods/mud truck to keep me busy.i am trying to make an all around bomb proof truck. i will still contine my search for a kit, but im not paying that much for shipping. the jag i have is in great shape so im in no hurry to find a kit. i know all the money i put in it i will never get out. i got it for a hell of a deal from a guy that that needed cash bad and he got it from a guy that needed cash bad, so i got it double cheap. the car has no dents or dings the chrome is all in tip top shape. no rust any where (not even from the bottom when its on a lift) the car does not even have a scratch yet (now that i said that i will crunch it) i was thinking about powder coaating all the chrome black like the rest of the car, if i have no luck and still am looking for a change i may take that route.my wife still does not know i have it, maybe i will give it to her on val- day. we will have about enough things to drive then, a car, a van , a suv, two trucks and two bikes. paying the insurance sux, but i like things with motors and it keeps me out of trouble. i have my 4wd truck and and my older GP race bike that i an working on making sreet legal to tinker with to get my fix (its a two stroke so im sure it will flip people out since they have not imported any real 2 stroke street bike into the states since the mjd 80s . it was oringaly titled so i should have no probs,, a race bike with lights on the street got to love it) sorry im rambling..
i will keep my ear to the ground and if i have any luck i will let you guys know,, an if you guys run across any let me know

thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Mine has a bit of rust on the trunk lid, that's about the worst of it for me. I'm one of those strange people though, that will be driving this same jag in 5 years or longer....

If I come across anything I'll let you know.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question xjr-s bodykit

hi i just bought a bodykit for xjs the owner said it was a genuine xjr-s bodykit just wondering how you can tell if it is genuine it is made of fibre glass and does look nice.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:32 PM
Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

If you really want to do something a tad different, try fitting parts that were not made for the car, they may be just the thing you are looking for, if not then try something else until you finally find what you think looks good. buying some of the body panels are not expensive (especially those that have a bit of damage done to them.) sit them on your car and see if that makes you smile, that is my 2 cents worth anyway.

You could always try and create something, this is a Falcon XR6 sideskirt just sitting on the car, I will remove the XR6 badge when I paint it.

I am also fitting a commodore wing on the tail, not much to modify to make them fit. They should look a whole lot better when they are all painted.