XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Stressful 88 VDP Door lock/latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stressful 88 VDP Door lock/latch problem

Heres whats up from the top. Had my jag for a few years now. Of course, had a battery draw from the start. Mainly when its below 32 degrees. Come out to take son to school. Unlocked drivers door with the key, popped hood, and hooked up battery. To unlock all doors I just turn the key to lock and then unlock, all doors then power unlock. Well today when I relocked the door with the key and tried to unlock, the actuator unlocked and immediately relocked the doors. No biggie so I thought. When I reached in from back door to unlock the level manually, it refused to move to unlock position. Removed enough of the door panel to access the latch. Found nothing restricting the latch function. Unhooked the lock actuator (works perfectly with rod removed) still cannot get the door lock to release. while trying to push the plastic switch on the latch down. I managed to break the plastic rocker arm to the actuator link. So I now know I need a new latch. The only problem is I still cannot get the driver door open. Both inside and outside handles work. As in, I can watch the latch mechanism function. I've even tried pushing on the door with my hip. The lock on the latch mechanism just flat out refuses to move from unlock position... Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have any advise on how to get the door open so the latch can be replaced. I love the car. I'm college experienced in mechanics and I've been able to maintain all its little quarks until this... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

A few things come to mind....

It sounds like the linking rod needs to be adjusted via the turnbuckle connecting the outside handle to the latch.

The latches should be lubricated periodically, they do stick once in a while from grime and debris. You can use WD40, or a penatrating spray and let it soak in for a while and with patience, apply upward pressure (pull) the locking pin while working the handle. Patience, not brute force. You may also do this from the outside with the window down, while applying hip pressure on the center of the door. After you get it open, you will want to use a different type of lubricating spray for maintenance purposes.

It is seldom reported that the actual door latch has broken on these vehicles, usually the problem is always with the linking rods being out of adjustment. You will get it open...with patience.

I speak from experience.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM

That was my first thought as well. Until I took the door panel off and checked the adjustment rod. I also detached the rod and lifted the lever on the latch itself. I can manually push the release latch all the way up, but door does not open. The lock lever has been completely unhooked and attempted to manually unlock from the latch and it refuses to move into the unlocked position. I have WD-40'd all latch mechanisms, as I do every six months. Winter seems to make the back doors not latch correctly. It in fact does appear that the lock itself has seized.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Default Door lock FIXED

So, I got the driver door open finally. It turns out, you can over tighten the door latch adjustment. Door unlocked fine for a few days. Then the lock refused to move into unlocked position. If you over tighten the door handle adjustment, this does not allow the latch to return fully to its resting position and the lock will not move. You have to make sure the latch is resting on the handle lever. Glad it was a simple mistake and not something more troubling. Hope this thread helps someone in the future.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Congratulations!

I must admit, it didn't occur to me the other day the turnbuckle was too tight.