XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Wiper problems Please help 92xj40

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper problems Please help 92xj40

Hi All,
92 xj40. After i turned the wipers on when they were frozen to the windshield They now stop where ever they want to when i turn them off. Also, they only give 1/2 wipe with the delay. I have heard it could be the microswitch or a in line fuse somewhere that is not in a fuse box. Does anyone know where this would be for this year? (or actually if it is the switch or fuse?). Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Wiper problems Please help 92xj40

Greetings,

Since the fault occurred under the conditions you described, it's likely to be the inline fuse for the wiper delay module. Remove the under-dash panel (scuttle panel)on the right side, below the glove box. There is an additional black reinforcement plate on your model year, remove that as well.

Now you are looking at a rather large bunch of relays and wiring harness. There is only one factory installed inline fuse holder in that area, and that is the one for the wiper logic module, 7.5 amp.

The following users liked this post:
mrtalkradio (03-04-2011)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Thank you JagtechOhio!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Glad to help. Where is your home in Pa? I grew up in Jenkintown, near Philly...which segues into a good opportunity to say "GO EAGLES"!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on my '88 Vanden Plas the wipers began acting funny and stopping wherever they wanted. The problem was that the nut holding the wiper to the spindle had loosened. I don't know if that's your problem, but I would look at that first. I believe to access the nut I just flipped open the end of the wiper where it mountson the spindle.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be spot on the money i´ve changed my fair deal of those fuses as i worked at a jaguar workshop in Norway and it´s cold here i can promise you

Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM

JagtechOhio is the MAN. Exactly the problem. Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Big E
I know on my '88 Vanden Plas the wipers began acting funny and stopping wherever they wanted. The problem was that the loose nut behind the wheel..holding the wiper to the spindle had loosened. I don't know if that's your problem, but I would look at that first. I believe to access the nut I just flipped open the end of the wiper where it mountson the spindle.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM

i have a wiper problem on my '88 xj40 when i let go of the lever or switch it to O the wipers just stop where they are and dont get back where they should do.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Well you found the right thread, check the fuse as described above and that will likely fix your problem. If not, the park switch inside the wiper motor is faulty. Message me if you need one.

The following users liked this post:
mrtalkradio (03-04-2011)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Hi guys. I have followed this thread pretty closely on my XJ40 3.2L '93 model, but I do not seem to have this inline fuse! I have taken apart the scuttle on the passenger side- a right hand drive car- and it doesn't have all the relays shown on the photograph that someone else posted- thanks for that!
It would seem as though either[1] I have a lazy motor or [2] a crapped out one. Works perfectly off the screen and not at all on it. I inadvertently put the wiper back on in the wrong position which meant the wiper could not move, giving off a high pitched squeal for a minute or two. I was hoping the problem had blown this fuse bit since I cannot locate it, does anyone know if it was incorporated into the fuse panels at this late date in the run?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by WUDZY046
Hi guys. I have followed this thread pretty closely on my XJ40 3.2L '93 model, but I do not seem to have this inline fuse! I have taken apart the scuttle on the passenger side- a right hand drive car- and it doesn't have all the relays shown on the photograph that someone else posted- thanks for that! It would seem as though either[1] I have a lazy motor or [2] a crapped out one. Works perfectly off the screen and not at all on it. I inadvertently put the wiper back on in the wrong position which meant the wiper could not move, giving off a high pitched squeal for a minute or two. I was hoping the problem had blown this fuse bit since I cannot locate it, does anyone know if it was incorporated into the fuse panels at this late date in the run?
Hi WUDZY046,

I have the 1993 Electrical Guide and the schematic does not show an inline fuse for the wiper motor, but if I recall correctly, the schematics for the earlier cars didn't show the fuse either, so our '93s may actually have an inline fuse somewhere. According to the schematic, ignition switched power for the Wiper Motor Relay comes from Fuse 2 in the Center Fuse Panel (in the forward end of the cubby compartment in the center console). The schematic indicates this is a 3A fuse, but in our '93 all the fuses in that fusebox are 5A.

The Slow/Fast Relay receives battery power from Fuse A8 in the Left Fuse Panel (in the left footwell scuttle panel). The fuse is 20A.

The Wiper Motor Relay and the Slow/Fast Relay are inside Relay Module E, behind the left headlamp (I believe it has a black plastic case).

If your motor runs with the wiper lifted off of the windshield, the fuses would seem to be okay. If a fuse was blown you would have no voltage at the motor. If the motor can't run with the resistance of the wiper blade on the windshield, then I would suspect a shorted coil in the motor or damage in the motor's gearbox. But it might be worth checking the voltage at the motor connector to be sure you have a full 12V.

Perhaps someone else will have a more specific idea of what may be causing your symptoms.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi WUDZY046,

I have the 1993 Electrical Guide and the schematic does not show an inline fuse for the wiper motor, but if I recall correctly, the schematics for the earlier cars didn't show the fuse either, so our '93s may actually have an inline fuse somewhere. According to the schematic, ignition switched power for the Wiper Motor Relay comes from Fuse 2 in the Center Fuse Panel (in the forward end of the cubby compartment in the center console). The schematic indicates this is a 3A fuse, but in our '93 all the fuses in that fusebox are 5A.

The Slow/Fast Relay receives battery power from Fuse A8 in the Left Fuse Panel (in the left footwell scuttle panel). The fuse is 20A.

The Wiper Motor Relay and the Slow/Fast Relay are inside Relay Module E, behind the left headlamp (I believe it has a black plastic case).

If your motor runs with the wiper lifted off of the windshield, the fuses would seem to be okay. If a fuse was blown you would have no voltage at the motor. If the motor can't run with the resistance of the wiper blade on the windshield, then I would suspect a shorted coil in the motor or damage in the motor's gearbox. But it might be worth checking the voltage at the motor connector to be sure you have a full 12V.

Perhaps someone else will have a more specific idea of what may be causing your symptoms.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don,
I shall swap out the fuses when I get home and check it again. I will also take a look at the relay and see if there is damage or water ingress around the casing.
Thanks for the advice!