XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 XJ6 Shoulder Belt Retractor

Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 1990 XJ6 Shoulder Belt Retractor

This morning when I got into my car for the drive to work, I glanced over at the passenger side and a large loop caught my attention. I got out of the driver's seat, walked around to the passenger side and opened the door. The shoulder harness, that usually moves forward along its track when you open the door, didn't budge and there was that large grey loop sticking out from behind the center post trim panel. Obviously something is broken, but has anyone ever had any experience with this? Can the retracting mechanism be repaired, or do I need to replace it?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

If you are talking about the 'Attack' belts, luckily we don't have them over here.

And no I don't think they can be repaired, although there is still a Jaguar warranty claim on them.

But you'll have a really long wait, they stopped making them.

Others will chime in.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 1990 XJ6 Shoulder Belt Retractor

Hi,

Yes they can be repaired. You can try your local dealer for a warranty repair first if you wish, but most likely they will say parts are no longer available. Call and ask, then post up with an update.

The most likely problem is the cord either broke or has come off it's tracking. If the cord is broken, post up and I can provide you with a vendor with exact part number for a replacement cord.

Good luck, and let us know...

Originally Posted by Robert
This morning when I got into my car for the drive to work, I glanced over at the passenger side and a large loop caught my attention. I got out of the driver's seat, walked around to the passenger side and opened the door. The shoulder harness, that usually moves forward along its track when you open the door, didn't budge and there was that large grey loop sticking out from behind the center post trim panel. Obviously something is broken, but has anyone ever had any experience with this? Can the retracting mechanism be repaired, or do I need to replace it?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Hi, all.
I took a look at the motorized belt on my car and it looks daunting to fix. And I searched the web for instructions on how to repair it. When I couldn't find any info, I decided to contact Jaguar N.A. about the situation. I emailed their customer service and this morning I received a call. I was directed to contact my local Jaguar dealership to get my name on the list for some new manufacture motorized belts that are supposed to be available in January. I went to my local dealership, spoke with the service manager, and now I wait.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Robert:
Does your car still have the little emergency latch (usually in the glove box) for if/when the shoulder belts fail?

Well, I'm VERY hopeful that Jaguar said they might have the repair in January. Common knowledge has been that this would have to be a home repair, as the parts would never be available for the dealership. DO please post when you have a resolution to your problem.

Otherwise, I remember seeing a significant post with detailed pictures at Jag-lovers from a guy who repaired his own. I think it was listed under the title "seat belt demystified" or something like that. At the end of the day, I don't think even a home repair would be rocket science, but it will certainly be a project...

Scott

Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 AM

No shoulder belt release in the glove box. I looked on Jag Lovers but didn't see anything. I'll look again. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Robert,

It's not a "release" that Scott is referring to. He's referencing the "Emergency Tongue Kit" for when the rail delivery system fail. Go to this link and reference item #17:

Passive Restraint Equipment - Parts for XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

They are devices that you can slide into the rail system and you would disconnect the harness from the usual tongue and use the device for a temporary measure, I've had to use them myself when my driver's side failed.

Here are pics from the Jag-Lovers site that Scott mentioned:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

The following is a link to a post on Jag-lovers.com written by the member who posted the pics.

JagFORUM Logon

You may have to sign up to Jag-lovers to view the posts and pics, but the site is free and the forum is loaded with excellent info. If you do have to sign up before the site lets you access the link, you can search the XJ40 forums for post written by "Grooveman", using the keywords "seat belt repair". The post was written in May 2011.

Good luck

No shoulder belt release in the glove box. I looked on Jag Lovers but didn't see anything. I'll look again. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 11-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks, Rob. Good information. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress with Jaguar. The local dealership was very friendly so we'll see what happens.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Update:
Friday morning, Jaguar of North America called again. She informed me that the original manufacturer has gone out of business, but that a new one has been located. They are currently validating the part. Jaguar offered me two options: they can put me on a list to receive the part when it becomes available, or they will buy back my car at "fair market value". I want to keep my car so she will put me on the list. No idea when it will be available.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Default Shoulder Belt

Robert,

That's an "interesting" response from the Jaguar Dealer. Have they even looked at the car? What "part" are they going to replace? Weird.

Doesn't sound right. They are willing to buy back the vehicle? Really! That will raise some eye brows on the forum.

I think they're hedging a bet you "go away", get tired of waiting and fix it yourself. It would be interesting to know what they offer you in regard to "fair market value" for the vehicle.

Good luck, let us know.....please.

Update:
Friday morning, Jaguar of North America called again. She informed me that the original manufacturer has gone out of business, but that a new one has been located. They are currently validating the part. Jaguar offered me two options: they can put me on a list to receive the part when it becomes available, or they will buy back my car at "fair market value". I want to keep my car so she will put me on the list. No idea when it will be available.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

On the one hand, it sounds as if Jaguar has been very pleasant with you. That's always nice! On the other hand, I seem to recall that other folks have been told a similar story in years past: parts on back order and we'll put you on the list for when a new supplier is found and we'll call you. Translation... Well, one can rather guess. I'd LOVE to know what 'fair market value' would be for your car. I'm guessing you could buy a pretty rusty Toyota Corolla from the late '90s with it. (Apologies for some gratuitous lapse into cynicism... But it is based upon experience!)

Meanwhile back on the ranch... You still need a working seatbelt to make the car safe. If it were me, I'd ask to know the new manufacturer's name and contact them directly to keep the ball rolling.

Thank you for reporting back on this one. Keep us updated, because if we haven't been already, lots of us will have to deal with this issue at some point.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Update: Took the car into the Jaguar dealer today to have the front end aligned and while I was there I asked the service manager for an update on the passive restraint system. He said that it would be available when they manufactured them. Not very encouraging, but he did say that they would probably make them after the first of the year.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I disconnected the yellow plug that goes into the belt motor under the pillar on the side of the seat. They do not retract anymore, and now are "manual" belts.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Don't know if it's any help, but this type of seat belt system was fitted to mid-90's Mercury Villagers and Nissan Quests - sourced from same manufacturer?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

No, not encouraging at all; because I think that's what has been said now for years. Though, one can hope... I beginning to wondering if it isn't time to band together and get a petition going (nothing at all nasty, just something to help Jaguar see the size of the problem and now much need there is OR will be as these cars continue to age) to see if we can't get some movement in getting these parts produced, so that Jaguar can honor their commitment. I wonder if there are enough of us who own these cars who care, of if we are now too small an ownership club. thoughts?

Scott

Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
I wonder if there are enough of us who own these cars who care, of if we are now too small an ownership club. thoughts?

Scott
I'm only one, but count me in.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM

Got a call from the Jaguar dealer. He said the new passive seat belt assemblies should be available after Feb 2nd. I'll let you know if I get another call.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Whoa. Wasn't expecting that! Do keep us informed. Maybe this time it shall come to pass!

Scott

Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat Belt Fuse

When my passenger side belt stopped working, the latch stopped near the front of the door where it is no use. I decided to remove the fuse so it wouldn't hum and bother me. The driver's side still operates but instead of having the belt go up and down each time, I pulled the fuse after it was in the upright position. Now I just unlatch it every time. For me, I like that better.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Cool

Update: the dealer called to say that the passive stealth belt assemblies are held up in testing. He said he is still hoping to get them very soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 XJ6 Shoulder Belt Retractor