XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

'91 xj6 4.0 won't crank, solenoid clicks once only

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '91 xj6 4.0 won't crank, solenoid clicks once only

Just had the starter replaced yesterday, started the car 5 or 6 times throughout the day, then it started giving me issues. Won't crank, can hear a click on the right side of the vehicle. Don't think it's the starter because it will only click once, instead of like before I had the starter replaced when it would click over and over as long as you held the key in START position.

Solenoid seems to be working/clicking. Possibly a Neutral Safety switch? The shift lever, when in Park, illuminates the "P", or whatever corresponding light to what gear it's in. Won't crank in Neutral.

I found that by rocking the car about by sticking my foot out the door and pushing back and forth, seems to trigger something because it worked a couple of times like a charm, but now it isn't do the trick anymore.

Any ideas would be helpful, of course! Thanks in advance. Just ordered the repair manual which will help I'm sure.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Doovoe,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I have moved your post from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the XJ40, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1991 XJ6.

There are many possible causes of your symptoms, but the number one cause of starting issues on a Jaguar is a weak battery. Have you tried jump-starting the car with another vehicle? If you do, allow the battery in the Jag to charge for at least 10 minutes before you try to start the car. The Jag's battery must have a minimum charge before the ECM will allow the engine to crank.

The click you are hearing on the right side could be one of the relevant relays mounted behind the right knee bolster below the glove box. The Starter relay, the Ignition On relay and the Engine Management System main relay are located there.

You can download the 1991 XJ40 Electrical Guide which shows the relay locations and electrical schematics here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf

See page 6 of the pdf file for a diagram of relay locations.

A common cause of battery charging and starting issues is corrosion on the battery power connections and ground/earth studs.

Hopefully other members will have additional suggestions.

Since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (09-08-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a new referb battery, with new connections on the cables. I will however put a smart charger on it today, as well as clean the other end of the ground cable just to rule out any connection shenanigans.

Thanks for replying, sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I didn't realize until after I hit Submit. I've posted an introduction with pics in the new member area.

Thanks agaib!