XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door lock problems

So here is the problem with the 89 XJ6.

1. I can lock the drivers door only with the key in that lock. Does not lock any other door. It will not unlock the door however.

2. Passenger side the key won't do anything I'm assuming that handle has been changed out and the lock cylinder was not. Door locks and unlocks but does not open from the outside, I'm ordering a replacement handle for that one. I'm also going to see if I can have the cylinder re-keyed to match the other door.

3. The power lock button does nothing. I have found no blown fuses in any of the 3 fuse boxes.

So where do I need to start trouble shooting?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Door lock problems

1) Wrong key for a handle which has previously been replaced. Wrong keys will often enable the lock barrel to be rotated to the lock position, but not unlock

2) wrong key for a handle which has previously been replaced, and now requires a subsequent replacement

3) Roll all the windows down, unlock all the doors manually by pulling the pins, push all the pins down, and see it they now operate when you pull up a front door pin. When they lose synchonization, i.e. when one lock actuator motor has failed or the lockplate is sticking, the system disables and you lose automatic function. If you synchronize them all as described, and you may have to walk the walk once or twice, you can then identify the lock which is causing the problem and go from there. It is not a simple system, but the door lock modules almost never fail. The problems are always inside the doors, which means 4 X 5 = 20 places to look for the failure.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Don't want to sound like a dummy here but oh'well lol.

If the key works in the ignition and enough to lock the drivers door and will turn to the unlock just nothing happens is it still possibly the wrong key for the lock?

The steps to syncro the door locks is great, jags are even weirder than Land Rovers lol, I'll give that a try shortly and post the results.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Hold it up to the screen and I'll take a look.

How'd you make out with those blower motors?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 PM

haha

So far so good the one surges a bit though. It's odd, at idle say at a light the fan will surge up to a much higher speed and than slow back down when I take off. So that will probably need replaced, I only ended up buying the drivers side as I was able to get the other one working with cleaning the armature and replacing the brushes and springs. Looks like it wasn't a perfect repair though. So I'll have to break down and get a replacement for that one as well( passenger side).

Old 02-01-2009, 04:40 PM

OK, well since you had the rightblower out, then you disconnected the door lock control module in the process. Best have a look at your work there,if the door lock synchronization has no effect.

I bought two blower motors from an independant Jag shop in Marylandon eBay, maybe two years ago. Neither worked, one was a bad transistor plate and one was a worn out armature and brushes. Most of the used ones you will find are untested and likely bad, that's why you can buy them cheap. Good used partsa little different.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM

The one I bought runs like a champ, it's the one I "repaired" that runs a bit off.

The locks didn't work before I went mucking about but everything is still exposed under there as I haven't put the dash completely back together yet... Alright time to go see what happens with the syncro

Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM

So I rolled all the windows down then hit the lock button and held it down while it rolled all the windows up( that's a cool feature). I heard the module click in the dash but no doors locked at all. I hit it a few more times and could hear a click in the passenger side dash, and it sounded like a few others in the car but no locks budged. I'll try lubing the lock plates that I found in another thread and see what happens.

With the key off nothing happened at all though.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Apparently you've been overpaying for all of my free advice. I'll let others set me straight, I'm sure you'll get help with that.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 PM

no your advice has been great, it's a lot more than I had to start with. It's appreciated brother

Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM

I double checked everything under the dash with the lock module and it's all hooked up and I can hear it click when the key is on and the button is pressed....

I did however figure out that it does lock the boot.