XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...

I am third owner 91 XJ6 with 70K miles and have just put 4K miles on since ownes it. This is my weekend car to go to the church only, so I don't know what's going on and what had been done repair in the past with two other previous owners. But anyways, Yesterday I stopped at gas station and filled full tank while my wife was sitting inside the car and she smell strong gas odor but it ran fine from home to gas station about 0.5 mile. I did roll down window to allow wind blow out all gas odor out, continue running car around the town, shopping center, and some market and then went home without any problems. But this Morning, started the car for head out to the church, everything seem to be fine to me run and drive good but 2 minutes later, the check engine light came and stay on. After workship done, I came back and open the trunk, I smell strong gasoline odor. Try look around the car, under, inside, outside of the trunk, everythings is fine but the check engine light is still on. Press VCM botton, no code show. I try to get some ideas before decide to work on it. Thanks.......Zane

Last edited by Zenidyle; 12-17-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM

I post some pics here for you guys look at it. What is two pipes come out from top of tank? One goes straight down, the other one goes to the left side (I mean US driver side, face to pic) and then goes down. My question is this two pipes goes to where? I also found the loosen clamp the hose which run to the top of tank (see pic tank009). Move the clamp to its possition, tighten it. I hope this fix the gas odor in the trunk. Start the car, let running 2 minutes but check engine light is still on, no code appear.

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-tank-004.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-tank-005.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-tank-009.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-tank-011.jpg  

Last edited by Zenidyle; 12-17-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...

Zenidyle,

I have an earlier model than you, my fuel pump is external, where your's is internal. The hoses you see coming out are from the internal fuel pump.

The hose leading away to the left from the rear view is a vapor line which goes to your carbon canister for your emission control system located at the front of the car, left side, between the tire and the fender.

The other hose going straight down is a over pressure pipe, which simply terminates behind the trans-axle. There are a few variations to the set-up depending on the VIN#. Since you didn't provide your VIN, I made an assumption you have a 4L and the VIN is above 667829:

Fuel Latch Box, Filler Cap and Hoses - Parts for XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

If I chose the incorrect one, you can find the appropriate set-up at the link above.

You may have cured the problem by tightening the clamp on the breather hose which runs from the filler neck to the tank. Keep monitoring it.

In regards to your check engine light, have you done the simple thing and disconnect the battery for 10 or 15 minutes and then reconnect to see if it clears?

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Evenson:
Don B (09-03-2016), Zenidyle (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Zenidyle:
Are you sure you are checking the VCM code properly following the appearance of the CEL? You need to shut off the car, turn the key to position II (without cranking the engine), and then press the VCM button. I cannot help but imagine some fault will be displayed.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-03-2016)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks to Rob Evenson & Scott,

The good news that I don't smell the gasoline odor anymore but the engine light still on even I drove to work and back home.
I believe I checked the VCM code properly and also double checked by following your advice: Shut off engine, key at posotion II ( without cranking the engine), and then press the VCM button, but no code appearance.

@ Rob Evenson: Thanks for help and quick answer. I decide to let the engine light stay on and drive couple days to check make sure any code appearance. If reset to clear the code, the enigne run under problem with unknown fault.

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Zenidyle:
Are you sure you are checking the VCM code properly following the appearance of the CEL? You need to shut off the car, turn the key to position II (without cranking the engine), and then press the VCM button. I cannot help but imagine some fault will be displayed.
Scott

Last edited by Zenidyle; 12-18-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Not really Zenidyle. If you reset and you have a problem, then the light will come back on. Most likely with a FFxxxx code.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM

So, should I reset or let it stay on till its automatic off if the problem fixed by hose clamp above? Please advise. Thanks

Originally Posted by Translator
Not really Zenidyle. If you reset and you have a problem, then the light will come back on. Most likely with a FFxxxx code.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Default Vcm

Zenidyle,

Did you disconnect the battery for a short period of time? (10-15 minutes) If you do, you may/may not need your radio security code, I think it's located on a label under the bonnet. I don't have one for my model year, but I think your's does. Again, may/may not be applicable for you.

You need to determine if the check engine indicator was a false signal or if there is more to it. If it comes back, there is still an issue and hopefully a code will appear.

Let us know....

Originally Posted by Zenidyle
So, should I reset or let it stay on till its automatic off if the problem fixed by hose clamp above? Please advise. Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Hi Rob,
Yes, I did. The code is clear but will see if code come back next couple days. I do have the security code for radio. Thanks Rob.

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Zenidyle,

Did you disconnect the battery for a short period of time? (10-15 minutes) If you do, you may/may not need your radio security code, I think it's located on a label under the bonnet. I don't have one for my model year, but I think your's does. Again, may/may not be applicable for you.

You need to determine if the check engine indicator was a false signal or if there is more to it. If it comes back, there is still an issue and hopefully a code will appear.

Let us know....

Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

If your check engine light is on, then there will surely be a code. Are the rest of the displays working on that screen within the VCM console? Gas mileage, etc?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi mrtalkradio,

Every things works good condition so far. I keep watching out the gas odor in the trunk and check engine light illumination. Yesterday, I picked up my daughter at shool and she complained gas odor when sit on rear seat but I am not(could be just me). The problem is that I don't drive often, just some times in weekend only because don't want to put more mileage in this baby. I will keep post the issue in next time

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
If your check engine light is on, then there will surely be a code. Are the rest of the displays working on that screen within the VCM console? Gas mileage, etc?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Zenidyle,

Keep a close eye on this, you may have a pinhole leak (rust) on the bottom of the fuel tank and at this point it is simply "seeping" a drop at a time, thus not highly noticeable until certain conditions make it more noticeable, such as windows down, sunroof open, causing air flows which stir up the fumes via the flow ventilation.

I'm not implying you have a leak, it just sounds like telltale signs of a leak. I have first hand knowledge, I've pulled my tank twice in the past ten yrs to either replace or repair. Both times is started out with the faintest of odors from the boot.

Watch the fuel gauge, make a note of the level the next time you park it for the week since you don't is it as a daily driver. You're boot (pics) appears to be well maintained and lt doesn't look like you have a moisture problem. but just the same, some owners have had water seep down the rear window seal and work its way down, drip on to the tank where you don's see it and pool down by the feed/return hose area.

Right now it sounds okay, but in a week or two, get in the back with someone else driving and see how strong the odor is. Open the roof, roll down the windows and see if you can create a variety of air flow scenario's which cause the fumes to circulate.

Hopefully it won't

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-03-2016)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM

Hello all Gentlements,

OK, the check engine light came back this Morning on the way go to the church but not show the code when press VCM botton while engine not running, key at position on. Car seem run fine to me but when I got home, shut off the engine, took some pictures on the instrument pannel to prove with every one that every things works good condition on console pannel or in the instrument pannel also. And then restart engine, it look like that it run little bit weak power about 2 seconds, little bit shaking engine with RPM at 650 - 700 RPM then pick up 900RPM with engine running smooth, engine temp gage show normal at middle. I could not determine gas fumes interior with all windows up, sunroof close or either all windows down but when open the trunk, I can feel very very slight gas odor that make me thinking its remain in carpet last time. I don't think I have gas "seeping" or little leak from the tank. Anyone has any ideas or experience in the past or want me do more further trouble shooting to make decision just shoot me the instruction I will do follow it and repost. Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-030.jpg  

Last edited by Zenidyle; 12-23-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Here is some pics

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-031.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-032.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-033.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-034.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-035.jpg  

Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-doorpanel-036.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Range 645, with 1/4 tank of gas? Take pic 5 again with the car running please. That's with the "range button" on the VCM pushed down.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Here is pics taken while engine is running

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-005.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-006.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-007.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-008.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-009.jpg  

Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-010.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-011.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Here is testing VCM botton working or not by removed a fuse from left fuse box and then press VCM botton show fuse 2 in the instrument pannel. So that's mean VCM working condition, right?

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-012.jpg   Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-013.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Here is pic with check enigne light on but no showing code while press "botton" VCM down.

Attached Thumbnails Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...-checkengine-004.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM

Ok, VCM is working, except to display its code from the CE light. In the mean time, go try and find out what bulb is out and let's see if that lit icon goes away.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

That's funny, mtr... You could be sending him on a fool's errand to find that bulb, knowing full well that most of our cars now only light the indicator when all of our bulbs are in fact working perfectly! (Though, you should still look, Zenidyle...)

Ok, seems like you have done everything right; and here's where I stand to learn, and I hope everybody will pardon my ignorance in asking. Are there faults that will flag the CEL but not display a fault on the VCM? In other words, are there codes on these cars that can only be read by a code-reader at the shop?

It just seems so much like you've got a fuel-related problem - which always seems to have a fuel-related code on the VCM. I guess we'll find out!

Thank you, by the way, Zenidyle. You are being very patient and thorough! Keep it up!
Cheers,
Scott

Quick Reply: Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...