XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Remote keyless entry fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Remote keyless entry fob

Another one for the collection.
In the owners manual it says about the keyless entry remote.
It also has the code numbers for the two fobs stuck in the page where it suggests they should be placed.

Question is..... does anyone know what the part number is for the single button fob for the 1988 XJ40 Sovereign?

I have contacted a company who sells fobs for all vehicles but am told this one is no longer available.

I have searched online everywhere I can think of but am not able to find this style pictured in the owners manual and without the part no. I have no way of knowing what to specifically search for.

I am also wondering if an after market fob can be coded to suit.....
As I said I have the original fob ID numbers A & B stickers stuck in the manual.
I have no idea of the frequencies at all either.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Robert,

The possibility of finding one, yet alone, two of the original fobs is ....hmm, remote....

They aren't made anymore and haven't been for a long time. There was (maybe even, is) a second generation fob that was elongated in shape vs the square shape of the stock fob. I think they have become hard to find as well.

I never could get the fobs to work properly again in activating all of the functionality of the remote closure process. Frankly, I cared more about the door lock sync than the fob working.

If you do find a source, please post and let us all know.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Is this the style?

If so, it's the same as the one I had for my 1989 XJ40.

This is the only one I can find advertised and it's not tested:

JAGUAR XJ6 XJ40 ALARM REMOTE | eBay

The Parts Catalogue shows a different style which could be the one Rob referred to in post #2:

Remote keyless entry fob-xj40-remote.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

If you are sourcing one outside Australia, make sure it's the right frequency. I think UK used 433mhz and US is 315mhz on the XJ40.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-%24_1.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 03-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks Rob & GGG, not sure if we've spoken before lol
I was pretty sure they would be mission impossible to get.

As I said I have searched high and low over the internet, the one you have pictured in the photo GGG is the only thing I could find online that came close.

The one in the parts catalog "is" the one I was referring too.... it looks to be longer and narrower.

Mostly my question was to do with whether I can get an aftermarket fob and reprogram it..... I see adverts on tv where they sell replacement and universal fobs and reprogram them.....

However without knowing the exact frequency... that maybe a little tricky me thinks.
And I doubt if they could even obtain that info now even with the individual fob ID codes.

Thank you for your time gentlemen..... As always I appreciate your assistance.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

I once viewed an XJ40 that was fitted with a Cobra aftermarket alarm/immobiliser. In the end I didn't buy the car but it stuck in my mind because of the beer of the same name!

An aftermarket kit could be a simpler option that tracking the elusive OE remote. Here's a link to the Cobra website:

Car Alarms, Motorbike Alarms and Immobilisers

Cobra is a UK company.

Graham

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Your probably right Graham,
A complete car alarm with immobilizer and fobs included is probably the best alternative....
I have used the Cobra car alarm in two or three other vehicles.... they are not bad systems.

I am not so worried about it at all... more the point was if I could find the original and get that working would have been nice....

Personally I don't have any problem with using the key.... it still does the same thing,
winds up the windows and closes the sunroof (if it wasn't sealed lol) locks the doors and boot and fuel filler lid...... The fob would just be that little original accessory to top it all off lol.

Like I said, I knew they would be difficult if not impossible to find, but curiosity got the better of me so I posted just on the off chance someone knew where we could still get them

I am having a ball here on the forums..... a wealth of information and I get to keep a log of my progress at the same time..... and once I become a little more familiar with the workings etc of the Jag..... I too will be able to offer suggestions from my own experiences

As you are a moderator, I would personally like to thank you and all other moderators and Admin for all their time and effort in hosting these forums..... fantastic, I doubt we would quite manage the little probs we have without this site to guide us.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

A company I found was called keylessride.com. It might be worth checking them out.

red_101au (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks Jeh...... might have to give them a whirl....

Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM

using their quick search got this message
"We currently don't sell a factory keyless entry remote for this vehicle. If you have an existing remote, it is probably a dealership installed or after-market system.

still worth the try lol

Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I saw that as well and it only showed an XJR or XJS. Did you try entering your VIN? Even if it said no I waould still shoot them an email.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 PM

yeah, I probably will do that as well and include the original remote ID codes and Vin
might turn up something.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

THE 1988 -89 used infra-red remotes. no RF frequency involved. Was going to build a xmitter , but found it easier to have an RF board made that would fit inside the factory IR Central locking system box.
I replaced the receiver in the over head with an RF UNIT that fits in the OEM receiver box. Just take out the factory circuit board and install the one you buy. works a lot better than the "tv remote" system that was installed. LOTS more distance!

Caravelle (11-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM

Grey,

Can you provide more detail on what exactly you did to accomplish this. Some of us (me) aren't exactly tech savvy and need detail, such as where did you purchase the RF unit from, and how was it wired into the Jaguar system.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by Greykitty
THE 1988 -89 used infra-red remotes. no RF frequency involved. Was going to build a xmitter , but found it easier to have an RF board made that would fit inside the factory IR Central locking system box.
I replaced the receiver in the over head with an RF UNIT that fits in the OEM receiver box. Just take out the factory circuit board and install the one you buy. works a lot better than the "tv remote" system that was installed. LOTS more distance!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM

thanks Greykitty..... aounds like a good idea...
I also concur with Rob..... can you provide more info..... perhaps step by step, with pics would be handy
I know a little about electronics if I have step by step guide it is so much easier.
You said you had the RF board made..... details of who makes them would also help in this, or at least design schematics
And what receiver? is it readily available off the shelf?
Also what did you end up using as the remote sender?

I know I ask alot hehehe

After thought: There could almost be a market in this.... someone who can produce replacement remotes for older Jags.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-03-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all, definitely sounds like a good idea. I'd love to get the keyless entry working again in my 91 Daimler. As like most I got my lovely girl with no fob.
Troy

Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Gentleman
I did not want to bore everyone with the details of my "FOB Quest". This change to RF from IR is only applicable to the 88-89 MY. IN 90 and up they went to RF 433Mhz.
I got on EBay and bought an RF pair. REceiver board ( LXD-R06A) THIS Board already has the encoder on it and the transmitter also comes with the board.
So its ready to go as a transmitter / receiver pair. This board is tiny and the transmitter is a small 4 button unit. AFTER pulling my Central locking unit from the over head ( where the little sensor bulb is) thats the IR sensor under that . I took the board out ,measured it for size and fit and mounting hole locations.I also took the plug in connector off the board , because I knew I that would be how i would use the cars original wiring without any mods or hack job.
I used the car electrical schematics and it showed that you only need to take 2 wires , one at a time.. to ground ....for lock and unlock.
I got on PCBEXPRESS.COM and did my schematic on the same size board and sent it to them online. they made it and sent it to me.
I USED THE oem connector from the IR board and mounted it to my new RF board . the design allowed for a connector pin placement exactly like the OEM connector. wrapping this up.... I have the schematic I used on disk and pictures on disk that I took back when i thought there might be an interest in this.
Anyone can PM me for detailed instructions

I have also done the vacuume boost conversion on my car.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-04-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Rob Evenson (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Grey,

Please correct anything I wrongly interpreted.

If I understand you correctly, there are two vendors involved:

1) is the purchase of the encoder (receiver board) which comes with a four button fob. (you provided a model number which you found on ebay)

2) you contacted pcbexpress.com (via online interface) and designed the required board specs on their site, they made the board, and sent it to you. From there it was plug an play (after you attached the original IR OEM connector).

Please do share any and all information in the procurement of the material. If at all possible, include a copy of the receipt (edited of course of personal information), or include any descriptors the company used for the board.

Question, on my 89, the remote also rolled up the windows and shut the sunroof, beside locking the doors, fuel and boot, did you have that ability as well? If so, did you regain complete functionality?

BTW, nothing boring about this en-devour. There are a lot of people who would love the get their remote capability working again.

Again, thank you in advance.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd be interested in obtaining a copy of your top secret drawing Greykitty in regards to this.

I found the RF Wireless receiver here:

RF Wireless ASK Super Regeneration Receiver Module (LXD-R06A) 2pcs $4.10 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

Couldn't find any on eBay though so might have to search some more to find one here in Oz... might try Jaycar...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Greykitty.....
I am very sure that like myself.... every other 88-89 Jag XJ owner would love to get their hands on this also.

I would love to have all the info and contact details you can provide....
or better still..... give me a price and I'll just get you to do it all again and send it to me lol

There would definitely be a market for them here in Oz.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-05-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Greykitty,

I got on the pcbexpress site this morning and what became apparent to me is that I had no business messing around with the site.

Do you have the CAD software to do the design? I thought it would be a little simpler, then I reread your post and it appears you are skilled in CAD or board design, which made this task easier for you.

Is there a work-around for gnomes like myself? Any vendor you know of where I could send a pic of the board, connector and schematics and they will know what to do?

Quick Reply: Remote keyless entry fob