XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Remote keyless entry fob

Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

ALL
I pulled the schematic last nite. To answer the question about full functionality with this mod. Nothing changes with this mod. The car doesn't even know you have changed ANYTHING. The receivers input ...instead of IR , is now RF.
The REMOTE Panic function (from the FOB)is not an option as thought.
The ONLY functions were/are LOCK and Unlock. These commands close and locks everything as the original FOB did. THE ORIGINAL fob did not look (from pics of the original) to have a Panic function either. Panic lock is initiated from the center console toggle switch.

I will order several boards in the next couple days , and use up the bulk parts I bought for the original prototype to fabricate the new RF BOARDS. I will need for anyone that wants one,. to Chime in with their request. This is to keep The initial Board cost down if there is a quantity ordered.

First things first:
YOU NEED To check that YOUR system will function properly ( this verifies that your system will work if you were to even have a FOB ) with this RF mod is simple.
Drop your OVER HEAD panel that has the Map lights.
Find The small connector going into the receiver, it will have 4 wires.

MOMENTARILY jumper .... this means just touch the two points together with a bent paperclip of the sort for a moment .....

MOMENTARILY jumper ...the black wire PIN 8 ...to PIN 2 Green with blue tracer.
This is a momentary ground pulse you are applying to LOCK your car .
You should see an immediate reaction of your door locks.
Now take the paper clip and momentarily bump from black wire PIN 8 ....to PIN 1 Red with Orange tracer..
This is the momentary ground pulse to UNLOCK your car.
If this test works for you .....your cars remote entry system is working if you were to have an IR FOB.

The following users liked this post:
Rob Evenson (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Greykitty,

I performed your test procedure and had activity on the locks while jumping the pins 8&2, and 8&1.

The part number referenced on the container is DBC5119 to be used with DBC3747 transmitter.

What do you guesstimate the price to be for the boards?

And to be clear, besides this board you offered to have produced, there is still the requirement to purchase the RF board (LXD-R06A) as well that will work in conjunction with the board you have produced.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Greykitty,
As soon as I saw your post I went out and tested my system...
You neglected to mention whether the test should be done whilst the plug is connected or not connected to the receiver unit...

To be on the safe side I pulled the plug as I didnt want to run the risk of shorting anything.

Yes the remote locking activates and deactivates when bridging the pins as you said.
Thanks for the info, I hadn't even thought about whether it worked or not prior.

Now if I understand you correctly..... the only change to the system is the PCB in the receiver in the overhead console and the need for a matching transmitter. Is that correct?

Last edited by red_101au; 03-06-2014 at 09:59 PM.
stran0020 (06-30-2020)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM

glad to hear the procedure worked to test your system. maybe it can be put in your HOW-TO Section on the site.
yes anyone wanting to convert to RF would just purchase the receiver board( 7 pin model)
or the 9 pin model ( 2 separate pins at the end of the board for antenna connection.
also and transmitter.... they used to come as a pair
I looked on the site for the board that I purchased and did not see the Brown 4 button transmitter that came with my board. I will look around today.
So far.....I found the transmitter on the same website that the receiver board is found ( the link from previous post)
Goodluckbuy.com the sku is 78262 $5.86 w/ free shipping. this transmitter will work because it specifically uses the PT2262 Chip , which can be coded to your specific receiver board that you purchase.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-07-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Default 1989 ir one button fob

JAGUAR REMOTE KEY FOB | eBay
THE HOLY GRAIL DOES EXIST!!!
CHECK OUT THE STARTING BID.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greykitty
JAGUAR REMOTE KEY FOB | eBay
THE HOLY GRAIL DOES EXIST!!!
CHECK OUT THE STARTING BID.
OMG..... How did you find that???
I have been searching Ebay and anywhere else for weeks....
I even contacted the Jag dealers to see if they could get them lol

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! 299 Pound starting bid

Would be nice to have but not at that price.
I wouldn't mind having that and just replace the inner board with the RF transmitter... still keeping the appearance original lol

Last edited by red_101au; 03-08-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got one of those... just haven't been bothered finding a battery to fit!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Default Upgrade Remote KES from IR to RF

ALL.... VIN#'S 500001-667828 XJ6-XJ40 WITH IR Remote System
I would like a head count, in order to keep cost down... how many persons want a Replacement -turn key RF Remote Keyless Entry system for their car to replace the IR system.. its approximately Same size as the original IR receiver and mounts in the same place.
I will provide everything to you.
Your car will not know you have replaced anything when you are done...
No Hacking into the electrical harness system.
You use only the existing 4 wires, Nothing additional at all (wires or relays).
this is what you would do first ....
After using the procedure from my previous post ( 6March)to acknowledge your car Will LOCK and UNLOCK,
This would be the process:
1. First remove your IR receiver,
2. then remove the Clamp that held the receiver in place
(remove 2 small plastic nubs at base of clamp )
3. You then would need to cut the 4 pin connector off the car receiver harness ,bare the ends of the 4 wires about 1/4"-7mm
4. insert them into the marked 4 contact points and tighten the screws in the receiver.
5. then Program/learn mode the receiver to your two buttons on the FOB, then button up everything and you are done. Of course instructions and phone number is included.
Please pass this on to anyone that wants to Upgrade their system without affecting the electronics of their car.
Apparently VIN #'s 500001- 667828 Have the IR system Installed. XJ6 2.9 ,3.2, 3.6 and 4.0
Hope I haven't overstepped the boundaries of the forum here with this request, Just trying to help anyone I can.
PM me for details ,cost, delivery date , shipment and such for your system.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greykitty:
red_101au (03-09-2014), Rob Evenson (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Hi Greykitty,
On behalf of myself and all the other owners also wanting to reactivate their remote entry.... I thank you.
You can put me down as a recipient..... However I would need an idea of pricing and if you are able to send to Australia.

The fact that it is unobtrusive and basically not even a visually detectable change makes it all the more appealing.

I even started toying with the idea of an aftermarket immobilizer/alarm so I could have the keyless entry feature.... but dismissed it as I do not wish to add any rubbish that does not belong.
My goal is to keep the car as original as possible.

I assure you, you will be making many people very happy.

JugJag (07-20-2023)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default keyless entry

greykitty,

I appreciate you confirming the operation of the power at the 4 wire pin , but is that conclusive of IR or RF as the MY 1990 models on, appear to be RF. See other entries on this site which suggests that it is RF @433Mhtz

Look forward to your helpful advice.

Michael P
Melbourne Australia

Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

MY 88-94 had the IR system, the MY 95 (x300) started the RF era. IIRC, the locking/security options were often installed by the dealerships, so it may not always hold true that an IR system was installed. I'm not positive about that statement, but a review of the official Jaguar Classic Parts site indicates that VIN 500001 through 708757 had the IR system for the XJ40.

VIN 500001 to 667828: MY 88-92
Infra Red Locking System - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

VIN 667829 to 708757: MY 93-94
Infra Red Locking System - Parts For XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Also, considering the age of these vehicles, it is possible someone has done a conversion on the original IR system.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 03-12-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Michael...I can speak to the 1989 MY , I have 2 and they both have the 4 wire connection and were IR.
l

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Rob
just saw your pics of the FOB'S. the elongated ones IR, notice the little IR lamp pointing forward. what I liked to see was the chip....that is the 22 pin TFK (Telefunken/German) chip.
That is your encoder chip and you will have a similar looking one in your IR receiver.
that chip can be reprogrammed. the square fobs appear to be RF .... this is not an issue
but on a side note can also be reprogrammed rather easily...DIP SWITCHES.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-12-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Greykitty,
Yes I saw the fob posted on facebook, the first on only one I have seen anywhere and starting bid of 300 pounds....
a little too pricey for me I'm afraid lol

Unfortunately I do not have either the original or the square model, or any other for that matter.
What I will need to do is get a fob to match the frequency of the R/F PCB that is to replace the I/R Board.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-12-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Red
I thought you were in for an RF upgrade?
I will be sending you a complete system ready to install ...complete with FOB. Nothing more is needed.
only 4 wires to connect .... and learn the FOB Button to the receiver as I have described in previous post.

Have you verified that your system Will UNlock and LOCK using my procedure?
also ....without a FOB you can still test your system actuators and such.
Just get in the car , dont know if you you need to put your setbealt on.... and push the PANIC Toggle on the Center console
I can get in my car and close the door ,hit the button and all doors lock.

I pulled a complete central locking system , as well as harness and connectors out of a junker and have it set up here in the shop. I can now use it to test the RF replacement systems. before sending them out to anyone that wants a replacement RF system.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-13-2014 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greykitty:
KC7stw (03-17-2014), red_101au (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM

Sorry for any confusion....
Yes Greykitty, I am up for the R/F system you are willing to provide...
I was just responding to the previous post, but think I only managed to confuse things lol.
What I was saying was that I will need the complete system with fob as I do not even have an original fob.... I just hypothesized that it would be nice to have the original and install the new fob inners into the old case.... making it appear original

Yes mate.... I did test the system bridging the pins on the receiver module wires and it all works great..... also yes, the panic switch does work without ignition being turned on.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy keyless entry REceiver board ( LXD-R06A)

Dear Geykitty,
17th instant

It appears that from the 5th March, 2014 we have not had the benefit of any answers to the questions concerning your brilliant (sic) skill in the adaptation of RF central locking from the existing IR system. Can I urge you to share with all other members full disclosure. AS an aside, MY July 1990 still had IR keyless.

Michael prichard

Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What you need is a 3D printer and a FOB to copy..

From reading this. I don't understand why a IR FOB can not be built? Unless I missed something, along the lines of each car had it own code. but IR remotes are pretty simple devices.. I can't see jaguar running 300baud to 1200 baud data packets to unlock or lock the car...

Glad to see a RF compromise and placing it on the things to do list.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by KC7stw
What you need is a 3D printer and a FOB to copy..

From reading this. I don't understand why a IR FOB can not be built? Unless I missed something, along the lines of each car had it own code. but IR remotes are pretty simple devices.. I can't see jaguar running 300baud to 1200 baud data packets to unlock or lock the car...

Glad to see a RF compromise and placing it on the things to do list.
lol
Thats what has been discussed here during this thread.....
This post started with my search for the original I/R fob and not being able to find one anywhere.

Not wanting to move from original parts etc..... it was bought to our attention that Greykitty had infact changed his system to R/F while still maintaining the original appearance. But also offering the added security of what I assume will be a roaming frequency R/F signal....

As you stated, I/R really is not that complex and extremely easy to highjack..... you could probably almost get the right signal using a common household remote.

Utilizing another PCB and adapting it to fit into the original receiver module, thus absolutely no change detected by the car or the CPU.

Of course we all realized this was a wonderful idea and jumped on him for all the details....

Now Greykitty has kindly offered to make these available to those of us who wish to follow his brilliant example

KC7stw (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red_101au

Now Greykitty has kindly offered to make these available to those of us who wish to follow his brilliant example
Coming into this late I see the workaround is a better option, then dealing with IR..

I think I can source a 3D printer here in Reno. Maybe the new entry FOB can be placed in a factory looking case

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote keyless entry fob