XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Remote keyless entry fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

sounds good lol...
I mentioned in one of my posts it would be nice to have the original fob.... and replace the inners with the new fob board.... keeping that looking original too.
but the fob that Greykitty is supplying will be ok...... and also has the facility of programming the garage door on the spare button

Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Without reading through this entire thread to see if someone referenced it, I wanted to say that the diagram for the INFRARED CENTRAL LOCKING can be found in Jaguar Publication S63 XJ6 1989MY update.

System description, remote battery replacement and electrical diagram are all in there.

I uploaded it to the large file area years ago. It is an 8 MB .pdf.

bob gauff

Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Motorman
Glad to see you
how about finding the JAG pub for the installation procedure of the RF Intruder alarm system. made by SPECIFIC CRUISE SYSTEMS INC. and installed as RF Upgrade,,and if possible the schematic layout of the components. there are people using the RF SYSTEM and are having trouble tracking down wiring problems. that would be great to find that pub or procedure.. something like the Removal of the SLS publication.
Again , glad you responded.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-18-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM

KC7STW
Can we assume this is your Tech Class Call Sign?

The RF receiver is already in an enclosure and will fit in the same holder that previously held the IR receiver. Nothing changes just the receiver is no longer IR and a different Fob in your hand.
Note ..I have bought a non working IR FOB and will be making RF boards to fit in them for the people that want RF and still use thier IR fob enclosure. A very cool idea from RED_101au

Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Greykitty
KC7STW
Can we assume this is your Tech Class Call Sign?

The RF receiver is already in an enclosure and will fit in the same holder that previously held the IR receiver. Nothing changes just the receiver is no longer IR and a different Fob in your hand.
Note ..I have bought a non working IR FOB and will be making RF boards to fit in them for the people that want RF and still use thier IR fob enclosure. A very cool idea from RED_101au
Yes it is..

I was thinking of the FOB case. That is all. Since some people might want to OEM look.

But sounds like you got this handled. Just tossed out the ideal. Again, I was not aware of every thing you had done.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by KC7stw
Yes it is..

I was thinking of the FOB case. That is all. Since some people might want to OEM look.

But sounds like you got this handled. Just tossed out the ideal. Again, I was not aware of every thing you had done.
That would still be a great idea.... but adapting the PCB inners of the R/F to fit into the genuine fob may be difficult

plus you need to have the original fob case, but as I stated they are impossible to get....
I have only seen one advertised on ebay and it's starting bid was 300 British Pounds

Last edited by red_101au; 03-18-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

KC7stw,

Are you serious about being able to use a 3d printer to recreate the casing for the fobs?

I'd be willing to loan one of mine, or be the first to get the new 3d version models if that's possible.

I'm not up on 3d printing, so if I'm stepping all over myself, you get one shot and one shot only at putting me in my place

I could send one of each fob casing, though the square ones are really beat up.

Greykitty,

Didn't you order some of the elongated ones?

Originally Posted by KC7stw
Coming into this late I see the workaround is a better option, then dealing with IR..

I think I can source a 3D printer here in Reno. Maybe the new entry FOB can be placed in a factory looking case

Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Rob
yes , I have one (89 IR ELONGATED) on the way from the UK.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

This 3d printing thing ...don't you have to have the actual engineered plan/3d scan of the object in some sort of CAD format to send to the 3d printer? I don't think the 3d printing process is as straightforward (yet) as the star trek replicator ..but maybe I'm wrong?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
KC7stw,

Are you serious about being able to use a 3d printer to recreate the casing for the fobs?
Greykitty,

Didn't you order some of the elongated ones?
Yes I am. There are a few places in Reno/Sparks that have them. One is a hacker group (not computer) that allows you to build anything you want with the tools they have.. You pay for a membership and they provide you all the tools your heart can imagine.

The second place, is a massive warehouse that has tools and a 3D printer. It is a burning man art builders project space.

As for having the cad drawings. A friend of mine can scan the FOB and have it printed. But it would need to be disassemble and scanned somehow. I am not into 3D printing. So I do not know how it works. But I know he has made parts for his robot from the broken ones.

Not 100% I can make it work. but let me look into it.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Awesome!

I watch a few youtube vids today and from what I observed, as long as you have the 3d scanner w/3d printer, just about anything is possible.

KC7stw, you find out what you can, and let me know when and where to send the fob casings. PM me with a mailing address.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson

KC7stw, you find out what you can, and let me know when and where to send the fob casings. PM me with a mailing address.
I will start making some calls today...

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM

3D printers really are amazing things....
As was mentioned not quite at the startrek replicator stage yet...
But getting there....

When I was doing my original AutoCad course many years ago.... we had to learn programming CNC lathes etc...
Part of the course, we went to the Adelaide Cranial Facial ward here where we got to observe 3D printing at its finest...

Working with microscopic layering, they slowly built up the scanned image in a nylon/plastic to end up with an exact (mirrored in these cases) replica of the original one that was scanned.

These images were of such things as ears, jawbones, eye sockets cheek bones etc
It really was a wonder to see...
Remembering this was like 20 years ago, so this truly was a sight to see.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

these pics of the central locking receiver from my July MY1990 4lt sov may be of some help in the discussion on keyless entry.

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-img_3277.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3279.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3278.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3280.jpg  
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM

michael prichard,

thanks for the detailed pics.
I am sure they will come in very handy

Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Default XJ40s are not all the same

after so much discussuion on keyless entry, and my post on the TPS, it has become evident that not all owners who have 87, 88, 89 & in my case 1990/91 (Sov) models, have indentical vehicles.

Unless I am mistaken, not too many have a 1990/91 model but either they are earlier or later. I have therefore attached some photos which may or may not excite a few members.

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-img_3345.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3346.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3347.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3348.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3349.jpg  

Remote keyless entry fob-img_3350.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3351.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3352.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3353.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Looks great..... sweet ride
Pretty much identical to mine..... even the color
In fact from the pictures, other than yours is in better condition....
I would say they are identical.

I do have one question....
Mine does not have the Leaper fitted, but I have bought one
Could you give me the mounting position for it....
ie: distance from the front edge of the hood to the tip of the nose.
I am not sure exactly how far back it should sit

thanks

Just noticed your wiper is sitting on the passenger side...... does it not return to home when switched off.

Also is that a Mitsubishi Magna in the background?? lol I have one of those too hehehehe

Last edited by red_101au; 03-23-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: observation
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 PM

red_101au

Apropos the wiper, I adjusted the motor so that it would park on left as I hated see the blade as I drove. Not a difficult task except for patience. Background car is a Mitsubishi but Verada Xi. I have been trying to understand why my drivers door rear mirror is heated & the left is not. Jag H T cannot tell me? I am formerly from Adelaide.

Regards,
Michael Prichard
Melbourne Australia

Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Well done with the wiper....
I also thought about spinning the return so it would park on the passenger side..... seems logical that's where it should be.

I have always liked the verada.... they are a good and comfy car.... Mine is not the verada, just a plain old TE Magna.... but its still just as comfy just not fully optioned lol.

As for the left mirror, my guess would be that it had been replaced at some stage and that's why the heating element isn't there.....
You could always add it if you wish.... I remember years ago fitting heating demister to half truck mirrors on an old panel van I had.... I simply used a rear window demister and cut it to size

Good to see there is another Adelaide boy on here.... I was feeling quite lonely, most posts from Australia seem to come from either NSW or Vic.
Where are you located now? you said formerly from Adelaide.
From your plates I can guess you are in Vic..... I did most of my schooling in Melb. and Carlton was my old stomping grounds.

I have lived in Melb city (Victoria street), Dandenong, Narre Warren and also just down the road from Knox city.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-23-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Key fob and 3D printer...

well, it looks like all the printers in the Reno/Sparks NV area have a 6 month wait to get a new project in the que...

Any other ideals.

I was thinking maybe a DIY plastic injection molding. Since I have access to more plastic beads then we could need.. (the industry's we deliver rail cars of plastic will give me buckets of black and white beads.)

Quick Reply: Remote keyless entry fob