XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Seatbelt issue with 92 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seatbelt issue with 92 XJ6

I was instructed to post this here so here it is again

Hello everybody. I have a 92 XJ6 VDP that's having some seatbelt issues. The passenger restraint won't come up and the drivers won't go down. At a few points the drivers wouldn't come up. When car off it kept trying to trigger and ran the battery dead. I removed it, opened it up and blew it out. It worked a couple of times after that then came up and stayed. Once it did i unpluged it. Better to have it up than down, that'sbig ticket here in Texas. I'm assuming it's the Passive Restraint Controll Module. The Haynes wiring schematics don't show it. The moduel has two pin connectors (1 square, 1 round). There is no action when the round connector is plugged, i tap the square connector together and can feel a click in the module. The clip makes a short jump (up and back about 1/2") trying to engage.

Question: Would replacing the module solve this or are there other relays to consider

Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Seldom,
Were it me, I'd take it right to Jaguar and have them figure it out. There is supposed to be a life-time recall on the auto-belts in these cars. (Although I understand there can be quite a wait on them finding the parts...) I cannot say, obviously, whether your specific problem is covered. But wouldn't it be nice to know before fiddling?
I suppose this falls less under technical help and more under spiritual encouragement... Good luck! Scott

Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 PM

What a pleasure it is to have found this site. I'd been dealing with my seatbelt issue for several months. I did everything from pullung fuses to unpluging and repluging relays. There's nothing in the Haynes manual related to the seatbelt wiring and after downloading the schematics i saw that there were no fuses or relays related to the seatbelt. I was able to trace down the module and figured that that had to be the problem. I ordered another module a few days ago, before i came across the forum. I tried it today and nothing changed. Thanks to the info i got here i contacted my local Jag dealer and now have an appointment to have the issue fixed. I never would have known about it without your help. I'm gonna tell all my Jag buddies, old, new, even the ones i don't like where to come for good info. Thanks guys

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Let us know the outcome please.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Turned out to be a bunch of crap. They gave me an appointment only for me to drive across town and be told that the parts weren't available. I'm sure it was just to say they did try to honor the recall. I was told that they were looking for a distributor for the parts, think she meant to say manufacturer after stating that the parts weren't available. Then she tells me that it could be 2 months maybe 6 or even a year. I don't think they want to honor the repair. I'm suprised there isn't a class action lawsuit against Jaguar.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Yikes. I'm very sorry to hear that. I have never heard of anyone repairing their own shoulder restraints (anyone??), so it may be the case you will need to wait until the parts come in. Were it me, I'd set them off getting the parts, then I'd call them every third week to check on progress, meanwhile I'd be calling other Jaguar suppliers until I found the parts myself. It sounds to me like they could do better, but in order to benefit from the recall, you may have to do some waiting.
I am concerned about this because to my knowledge, my own belts have never yet been done and there may come a day! What kind of a life-time recall is it if Jaguar will no longer have the parts required to honor it?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

To the best of my knowledge it's not a recall on the belts, but due to issues they have to warranty the belt system for life. Have them order the parts what's the worst that happens they come in and fix it. Mean time I would check with junk yards and used parts suppliers to see if I could fix the issue myself or with known good parts in hand you might be able to get Jag to install them for you free of charge.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi all, the issue of the 'attack seat belts' in the US does come up from time to time.

From reading various posts (do a search for Attack Seat Belts, above) I believe that the lifetime warranty was transposed by your Govt' into a 10 year warranty, which means that there are no cars in existence that would be covered.

And of course parts are no longer available.

Here is a link to an old thread on the same subject, Attack Seat Belts.

Sorry I can't be of more help, we don't have this system over here, just normal inertia belts.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I just had my parts guy pursue the passive restraint motor/drive unit [that's what they call the part covered by the "extended lifetime warranty". Jaguar Parts DOC relayed to us that there is currently a lack of a supplier for a sub-component of the restraint motor. They are working on a new supplier and when found they will continue to build the parts. They admitted there is no ETA right now, and there is 1300 motor drives in the queue waiting.
Right now the auto industry is in such a state that one day they can build a part, and the next day one of the suppliers is gone, out of business. Then they have to contract someone else to start building parts. Helluva way to do business, but everyone has to deal with that now, not just Jaguar.
At lease they haven't told us "sorry there won't be any more"..... yet!
Apparently the 1300 applies to the XJ40, the XJS with passive belts is another story in itself.
I'd advise letting the dealer diagnose the restraints and make sure the motor/drive is at fault, then have them get you in line for a replacement.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Thanks for the info xjrguy, mentally filed

Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here are the 2 TSB/recall publications. When I worked at the dealer several years ago, the parts were getting harder to find and some parts were discontinued.

3-120
76-91

You should still have the shoulder belt attaching device if the belt drive is in the forward position. It clips into the drive section at the 'B'pillar.
There is one for each side and were in the glove cubby when the car was new.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3-120.pdf (161.0 KB, 379 views)
File Type: pdf
76-91.pdf (545.2 KB, 297 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

On the '90 XJ40 I used to have the passenger side rail got jammed up. I managed to get the shoulder clip that runs up to the B pillar back to the locked position at the B pillar. Then passengers had to unclip the shoulder strap entering and exiting the car.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM

I took my 91 xj40 in for a seat belt repair about 2 years ago.

The driver side was acting up. The dealer repaired it under warranty and it works great. About six months later the passenger side started doing weird stuff, just moving up and down a little bit intermittently.

I took it back to the dealer last september and they still dont have the part in.

Same story about the supplier being out of business.

Can't we join forces and file a lawsuit, maybe under the lemon law we could get new cars!

Or perhaps there is a number at the nhtsa that we should be calling notifying them that Jaguar is not repairing these problems.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:53 PM

I just got off the phone with the dealer, they have no info on when the new parts will be available.

The guy said they would go to the wrecking yard, find a used one and install it.

So we'll see what happens. That is really weak on jaguars part, but i give credit to the dealer for coming up with a solution, though they should have done this a year ago.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

where is the shoulder belt motor located?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 AM

I sold the car back in 2011, but to update-the dealer finally installed a new part.
If you are having problems with the seat belt, definitely go to the dealer, I believe they are still required by law to service it. I wouldn't mess around with it, until you've pestered your local dealer and are sure they won't fix it.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is an active seatbelt warranty. Had my 92 fixed at jag dealer in Richmond, va. drivers side was not working. Just fixed ths past fall. Jag admin bulletin 3-120 dated 2-94

The following 2 users liked this post by beegee:
Don B (03-31-2018), Lawrence (04-02-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just joined and decided to look up this issue on the threads. Extremely informative. I wound up calling my local Jaguar dealer, who gave me an appointment to check out the issue: driver's side passive restraint belt is stuck. What I DO have to report to you today, before I let you know how it ends up, is that (1) all the OEM parts are still around (e.g., https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/HMD1301AA), (2) the guy at the Parts Department at my dealer, through whom I had to get before I could get my appointment, checked and confirmed that he could order the parts, and (3) the Service supervisor told me that if my problem with the passive restraint was the subject of a recall, they'll fix it without charge.

I'll keep you posted.

(I would point out that the reason I pursued this is because it makes no sense to me that a company would negotiate with the government to warranty something for the lifetime of a vehicle and then simply explain that it is prevented from keeping its word because it decided to stop ordering the manufacture of the parts. In my humble opinion, whoever told you that was just hoping you would go away and not make them do work for free. But who knows?)

Thanks,

Chicho
​​​​​​​Valhalla, New York
1990 X40 4.0 Sovereign

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by chicho
(I would point out that the reason I pursued this is because it makes no sense to me that a company would negotiate with the government to warranty something for the lifetime of a vehicle and then simply explain that it is prevented from keeping its word because it decided to stop ordering the manufacture of the parts. In my humble opinion, whoever told you that was just hoping you would go away and not make them do work for free. But who knows?)

Thanks,

Chicho
​​​​​​​Valhalla, New York
1990 X40 4.0 Sovereign
The Gov't OR a company keep it's word????????????????

The Indians signed an agreement.

NOTHING IS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts