XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Speaker size

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speaker size

Can anyone confirm the speaker size in the doors of a 89 XJ6. I have found it listed as 3.5 and 4 inch. I'm getting ready to order the the boston acoustics for it and would prefer to order the right size with out having to freeze to death pulling the door panel.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Speaker size

The actual size for the speakers are 3.5" however, you can get a 4" speaker that will fit with a little coaxing. I have already changed my rear door speakers and will hopefully replace the ones in the front this spring. The ones beneath the rear seats are still up in the air.

As a side note, even though you change the speakers, if you're still using the stock Alpine radio, you won't see much of a difference in sound quality. The only way to test the new speakers are to run an adapter for the cassette and have an MP3 or CD play through the system. The only drawback still is the lack of Bass. I've been fiddling with ideas of a sub-woofer to take care of this musical hole. So far, the best sub-woofer I've noticed from monitoring many Jaguar XJ40 Forums is the Blaupunkt THB200A.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM

I have upgraded the stereo to the clarion FB275bt, to say that was a drastic improvement over the factory deck would be a gross understatement lol. It plays mp3 off of SD cards can stream music through bluetooth(also has built in hands free for the phone) and has a aux RCA in as well.

I have also added a PPI 5 channel amp which is not hooked up yet as I need to run the new speaker wiring. For the subs I have been kicking around opening the holes up a bit to fit a 5.25 inch tang long throw woofer.

Hopefully that will fill in the gap I feel is there as well. Glad to hear that I can squeeze the 4" in there as that is prefered to the 3.5's.

Where have people been mounting the blaupunkt sub?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ArmyJag

From what I've read, they have installed it just under the rear seats, I guess in between the two speaker openings.

I've been wanting to change over my radio as well. How did you resolve the bezel problem for aftermarket radio installations? Also, I guess you played with the wiring harness and determined what is what for powering your new radio. Since then, does the stock radio antenna work with you new head unit?

These cars definitely need the updated radio solution. Since the car is solid, the installation of a good sound system should compliment the car nicely. I will assume that you used the existing radio power supply for the new radio. You have to run new wiring for the new speakers because of the shared negative ground that the existing system utilizes. Must be a PITA to run those door wires. If you want to discuss this further with me, you can contact me off line. I think we are straying past the original post question.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: fritterfran

ArmyJag

From what I've read, they have installed it just under the rear seats, I guess in between the two speaker openings.

I've been wanting to change over my radio as well. How did you resolve the bezel problem for aftermarket radio installations? Also, I guess you played with the wiring harness and determined what is what for powering your new radio. Since then, does the stock radio antenna work with you new head unit?

These cars definitely need the updated radio solution. Since the car is solid, the installation of a good sound system should compliment the car nicely. I will assume that you used the existing radio power supply for the new radio. You have to run new wiring for the new speakers because of the shared negative ground that the existing system utilizes. Must be a PITA to run those door wires. If you want to discuss this further with me, you can contact me off line. I think we are straying past the original post question.

There was no bezel issue for me once the old stereo is removed the new sleve is installed slid the radio in and snapped on the supplied trim ring. The antenna does work that was light green and black wire I believe.

I utilized the stock power and speaker wires for now. With the install of the amp I will be ditching the speaker wires obivously for the new ones coming off the amp. It runs ok with the common ground just took a bit of figuring, and a wiring diagram. Oh and quite a few Crown and cokes lol.

Door wires are always a pita, but to do it right it's worth it. I'll do that at the same time I tear the panels off for the speaker replacement and on the passenger side, the door handle replacement....

With the quiet nature of the interior on these I really do think that overall sound quality should be pretty good.

As far as hijacking the thread who cares I started the thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

put 4 inch focals in my xj40 worked just fine and then i pute 5,25" in the rear under the seats and those were Amega q comp gold used this whith an realy expensive Alpine head unit and it worked like a gem

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM

Thanks Jagga, was the 5 1/4 the biggest that would fit or just what fit the stock opening?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i´ve actually seen a car whith 6x9 mounte under the rear seats sounde like **** though because the box wont bee big enough for them

Perhaps you can fit 6 inch speakers but i would go for 5 1/4

Old 02-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Cool thanks