XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Steering Stiff on Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stiff on Start

Ok, so I could be incredibly stupid and just be low on steering fluid in my 89 XJ6, but every time I start the car, the steering column is so stuff that I can't move the wheel hardly at all. I have to wrestle with the steering wheel until I feel it "snap" and loosen up. Warming up the vehicle makes no difference, and it is worse in cold weather, however it does happen in hot weather. Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Gardianlh
Ok, so I could be incredibly stupid and just be low on steering fluid in my 89 XJ6, but every time I start the car, the steering column is so stuff that I can't move the wheel hardly at all. I have to wrestle with the steering wheel until I feel it "snap" and loosen up. Warming up the vehicle makes no difference, and it is worse in cold weather, however it does happen in hot weather. Any suggestions?
Hi Gardianlh,

You do need to check the power steering fluid level. The Haynes manual shows how. The reservoir is under the hood near the right wheel well. A common indication of low fluid is a "groaning" noise from the steering system. If you find the fluid is low, check for leaking fluid under the reservoir and at the pump (to find the pump, follow the large diameter hose from the reservoir down toward the lower front of the engine). The most common fluid leak point is the low-pressure hose from the reservoir to the pump. The photos at the link below show our '93, which is a little different from your '89, but the principle is the same:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Check the tension of the main drive belt that powers the alternator, water pump and power steering pump. If it's loose, you may not be getting full power assist.

Some owners have needed to rebuild their power steering pumps - I don't know if the rebuild kits are still available, but hopefully this won't be your issue.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-22-2015 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (05-28-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I think there was a TSB about this fault about 20 something years ago but I don't remember the details. I looked through my TSBs in .pdf but it might be in a paper form that never got put into a digital format. (not all Jaguar TSBs were)

There are HUNDREDS of TSBs from the early 'paper days' that are not digitized and are kinda lost to obscurity.

It sounds like the valves in the steering rack are 'sticky' and you might try to flush the PAS system. An additive for Auto gearboxes that has a slight solvent might help if the valves are 'gummed-up'??

You could try the additive and if it helped, then flush the system with new fluid.

I think the solution 'back-in-the-day' was to replace the steering rack assy.

Try more research??

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
93SB (05-28-2015)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:58 AM

Hi!
Did you figure out what was the problem? I have exatcly the same problem, and my bet is on pump. But at the same time I have just rebuilt my stearing gear and it might be the problem too.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

The issue with the steering being stiff when first starting your car is the pinion seal. When those cars were new we were changing the steering racks for this issue.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
The issue with the steering being stiff when first starting your car is the pinion seal. When those cars were new we were changing the steering racks for this issue.
I just rebuilt the rack and I was hoping that problem is in different place, but most likely and logically it is rack. Are Adwest easy interchangeble with ZF? I have zf on other xj40 that is going to garbage.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Default Mine does this ..

Originally Posted by Gardianlh
all i do when i first start from cold . If it feels stiff i give it a little rev . Switch the car off then start again with a little bit of a rev and its working fine .. first time everytime ...