Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 XJ12, New home

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunday update

This weekend I've only spent few hours on the car
I removed the fuel injection harness and I'm starting to clean the 'vee' area. I don't want to remove the old spark plugs without remove all this dust surround them. Also, once I'm there, I'm going to test the injectors. Does anybody know the optimum fuel pressure? I mean fuel pump is working but I was thinking to use a fuel pressure gauge during the test. This way I could know if the 'bank B' issues are related with the fuel pressure regulator.

Does anybody know where I could find the 'original style' pigtail rubber boots for the injectors? I've found ones in a Porsche 914 website but they asking for 12$ each! we need 12+2 for the cold injectors. Sorry I was expecting to pay 0.50/2$ for each... Otherwise I'm going to invent something else.

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004657.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Debbie,
You may want to contact this guy for boots.
http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice...%20pricing.htm

The following users liked this post:
Debbiesidera (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Debbiesidera
Does anybody know the optimum fuel pressure? I mean fuel pump is working but I was thinking to use a fuel pressure gauge during the test. This way I could know if the 'bank B' issues are related with the fuel pressure regulator.

I found it! 28.5-30.8 lbf/in2 (Page 96 Haynes Book).

Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Default So slowwww....

Hi guys,
These days I had been cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning... This is one of these kind of jobs that nobody can't see.
The wire harness though is better than I thought. I label all the connectors since you can't even read the originals. It looks all broken but if you pay attention on the picture #2 it is only a peeled brown/clear coat over the plastic insulation. I've cleaned them with lacquer thinner and it works pretty well. Some of the areas though are very bad, especially where the wire is cover with a kind of fiberglass insulation. Some of them are completely melt.
My first idea was to order the top line of fiberglass insulation, the new boots for the pigtails, new pigtails connectors... bla, bla. I went up to 280$ budget... So, I'm going to just fix the bad wire areas, use shrink tubing, clean the whole thing and change the electrical terminals. I found the WURTH ones with the lock for less than 0.30$
Then, I'm thinking to hang the harness up to the intake bolts. At least it is not touching directly to the engine block.

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-injection_harness_repair_xj12.jpg  

Last edited by Debbiesidera; 07-23-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Then, I'm thinking to hang the harness up to the intake bolts. At least it is not touching directly to the engine block.
I did that on my XJS. Wiring will be cooler on top of the intakes. In the valley is too hot.

Debbiesidera (07-23-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 02:32 AM
Default Seats Question.

Hi Guys!

While I'm doing the harness and engine cleaning I had been researching about the interior leather. I found some leather kits for about 900$-2500$. Then I thought to find a donor car and swap the interior. There are lots of 90-95 saloons in ebay. Do you know if they could work? Modern XJ6, xj8,...?
It is very difficult to find a 1970-80 car with a good interior.

I would not like to spend all my budget in the seats... otherwise I going to spend some time in mines and fix them. The rear ones are really bad.

Thanks
Debbie

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Guys!

While I'm doing the harness and engine cleaning I had been researching about the interior leather. I found some leather kits for about 900$-2500$. Then I thought to find a donor car and swap the interior. There are lots of 90-95 saloons in ebay. Do you know if they could work? Modern XJ6, xj8,...?
It is very difficult to find a 1970-80 car with a good interior.

I would not like to spend all my budget in the seats... otherwise I going to spend some time in mines and fix them. The rear ones are really bad.

Thanks
Debbie

Debbie. If that was my car I would tend to try and keep it as original as possible. Very few XJ12's were ever exported into the States so that makes this car just a little bit special. The 1990 to 1994 Jaguars were of the XJ40 model and although the seats can be fitted it takes a lot of fiddling to get them in and even then they don't look that good. Forget the later cars and they would be a nightmare to fit with all their electronics attached. Anyway a lot can be done with old leather even when it is split see here for example.
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

With your starter... There are two ground straps that play a very important roll on the proper operation of the starter. The first is in the engine bay and if I remember correctly runs from the inlet manifold to the body on the passenger side. The other is on the underside and runs from the bell housing to the body again on the passenger side. Both should be removed cleaned and then put back with the bolts done up firm.

If you jack the car up please use jack stands or something to secure the car before venturing under it. I lost a very good friend not so long ago when his car fell on him. I felt terrible because I had just given him advise how to fix his horns and he did not secure the car before starting the repair.

Bob.

Debbiesidera (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
Debbie. If that was my car I would tend to try and keep it as original as possible. Very few XJ12's were ever exported into the States so that makes this car just a little bit special. The 1990 to 1994 Jaguars were of the XJ40 model and although the seats can be fitted it takes a lot of fiddling to get them in and even then they don't look that good. Forget the later cars and they would be a nightmare to fit with all their electronics attached. Anyway a lot can be done with old leather even when it is split. Bob.

Hi Bob! Yes, I really was thinking to save the original ones... but they are completely broken, everywhere. I would prefer by some new leather and rebuild them in some upholstery shop. But I found these seats for a very reasonable price and a very descent shape. I thought that they could work. They are from a 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It has a split bench and I don't know if it could work... anyways it could save me a bunch of money, but I don't know how difficult is to adapt them. And door panels? should they work too?

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-87xj4.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 AM

If you jack the car up please use jack stands or something to secure the car before venturing under it. I lost a very good friend not so long ago when his car fell on him. I felt terrible because I had just given him advise how to fix his horns and he did not secure the car before starting the repair. Bob.
OMG!!! Sorry for your friend... Yes, I have the car over 4 jack stands. THANKSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_2815forum.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I found these seats for a very reasonable price and a very descent shape. I thought that they could work. They are from a 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It has a split bench and I don't know if it could work... anyways it could save me a bunch of money, but I don't know how difficult is to adapt them. And door panels? should they work too?

Those seats are out of a XJ6 VDP and yes they will both work for you. The seats are one piece, they just look like they are spit. The door panels should also work, cannot remember if you will have to change anything but if you do it will be very minor. The wood trim on the door panels however will not match the existing wood in your car so you will have to play with that. That is if you are as **** as I am with my cars.

Debbiesidera (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM

Those seats are out of a XJ6 VDP and yes they will both work for you. The seats are one piece, they just look like they are spit. The door panels should also work, cannot remember if you will have to change anything but if you do it will be very minor. The wood trim on the door panels however will not match the existing wood in your car so you will have to play with that. That is if you are as **** as I am with my cars.

Thanks again! Yes, I'll buy them though. I'm super Picky too. But I can't invest to much in this car since everybody is telling me that 'I'm crazy...' I mean a complete upholstery job could go up to 12-15k... and there are a bunch of Xj12 for less of 2000$ in craiglist. The good ones might are 20K but... I'm tired of what they saying. I'm not planning to sale it anyways!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Default Update Monday

I can't work too much in my fuel injection harness because I'm still waiting for the small terminal, some new pigtail connectors and the rubber boots. I have been cleaning and cleaning with a teeth brush and some old gasoline.
I don't want to even change the spark plugs without remove this 'crap'.

Finally is just clean enough to pull the spark plug and the injectors out. Another detail (My Bank -B was not working): I saved in order the old spark plugs. The ones from Bank -A have a clean electrode (a very small area in the surface) vs the ones from the Bank -B are completely 'black'.
There are lots of areas with a melted wires. I have to fix them one by one. Then I'm going to insulate the harness with a Termo Techflex and hang it rather to sit over the engine block.

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-engine_clean.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-spark_plugs.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004775.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004779.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Default Sunday Update

Hi guys,

I didn't work too much in the Jaguar this past week. I'm still waiting for some parts to finish my wiring. I just get the pigtail boots, but I'm still missing the electrical insulated tubing and the brass terminals. I really would like to start the engine and feel all 12 cylinders running!

In the meantime I had cleaning the inner fenders. ( I didn't post the finished wheel yet but they are SUPER shiny) These areas are always a mess. There is a undercoat messy layer that is not easy to remove... Patience though.

Since I'm having to smog this car I'm taking all the emission parts carefully. I'm looking for a new EGR valves (I can't find them! Do you know any aftermarket/exchange part number? )
I found another area with burn wires. I'm fixing them one by one.

Debbie

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004841.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004842.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004846.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004847.jpg  
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM

Hi Guys,

I was not posting for two or three weeks. I have been busy with the XJ12. OMG! I need to find a stopping point otherwise I'm going to rebuild the whole thing.

The harness is almost done. I've just received the injector rubber boots much better.

Then I bought '2 miles' of rubber hoses. I could not believed there is a ton of them. I'm still waiting for the Fuel ones though. Question! Does anybody has a correct vacuum digram for the California '76 XJ12? I research in internet and Haynes book but they are different. I know is something wrong because I can't see some 'Mickey mouse' connections and some broken/cut hoses. but they are different for sure.

Another issue I've just noticed is the distributor. OMG! You must see it. I attached a picture. The distributor has a outside bold to adjust the timing (just some degrees) and this bolt also has an eccentric pin on its bottom. This pin should run in a track an allows to move the distributor. Ok, So just take a look on the picture. They broke the pin and tight the distributor way to far from the correct marks. I mean I started the car before but this means that they have been messing with the timing and installed the distributor shaft with a tooth off. Am I right? Also I checked the vacuum diaphragm and it is not working,... it doesn't even hole the pressure down.

I ordered a ton of parts since I can't put together the 'V' stuff with changing all of the parts of the area. check valve, A/c expansion valve, oil sender,... I hope to find an stopping point!

Under the carriage. Yes, I'm still cleaning all the inner fenders area. It is so slow job. I have to order some seam sealer and undercoat but again,... I'm going to change the ball joints, shocks, and some bushings... I mean I can't just clean the crap and leave the same bushings... I can't!

Can you believe I found in Autozone. New front shocks for 27 bucks!? They are not bilstein,.. but I'm sure that they will be better that my old ones. I can't even paint them for this such price.

I found some 'cancer' areas with to much rust. I've just decided to use my Dremel and cut them and use a new steel piece to fix them.

The best
Debbie

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-photo-1.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 AM
Default Fuel tanks

TA TAN! Another surprise!
I can't switch the fuel tanks... they were already connected.
I found another fuel pump inside the car so, maybe it is a bad one or maybe is a replacement one... I don't know yet.
I should vacuum the whole thing before the pic, lol. but the car came full of dust.

Debbie

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004964.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Default Transmission wire

Hi,

The transmission solenoid has only one pin (I can't see it very well without removing the whole thing) and I have two wires going down the bell housing. One it was connected to the transmission solenoid and the other was broken. I follow it and it ends by the cylinder 1A area. Since my harness was completely fried, I don't know were it goes. Does anybody know it?

Debbie

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_00004989.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Default Labor day update

I spent the labor day playing with the distributor. Now we know that it is working for sure!

'Red' waves are injection pulse Bank 'B'
'Blue' waves are injection pulse Bank 'A'
'Green' waves/spikes are the ignition pulse events for each cylinder.

I also fix the eccentric pin to adjust the timing. (it was broken)

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_00005131.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-xj12_distributor_draw.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_00005145.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Woweee!

I am impressed. An engine analyzer/oscilloscope and an off the car spinner ala the Sun Machines of olden days.

As to jack stands. Definitely, but leave the trolley in place as well. Belt and suspender thing. if you work alone, a cordless phone within reach and range or better yet, a cell. Don't use the split tube things unless they have been modified to avoid splitting. I use a couple I have for very light duty, no Jaguar on them.

Yeah, some counsel the tank connection thing to dispose of a faulty change over valve. I have such a "T' fitting in my left overs! But, so far my valve works like a charm. There is a potential problem with the paired system. if one parks on a steep side hill and there is a lot of fuel in the tanks, the uphill tank fuel will run to the lower one. when the lower one reaches capacity, it will over flow. Gas on the street under the car and an errant spark....

New spark plugs, of course, not worth messing with the old ones, especialy in this car with tough access. I am not sure what the sooted ones mean? Black connotes rich running, not no running???

Carl

Debbiesidera (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, some counsel the tank connection thing to dispose of a faulty change over valve. I have such a "T' fitting in my left overs! But, so far my valve works like a charm. There is a potential problem with the paired system. if one parks on a steep side hill and there is a lot of fuel in the tanks, the uphill tank fuel will run to the lower one. when the lower one reaches capacity, it will over flow. Gas on the street under the car and an errant spark....
Thanks! mmm... Yes, I'm thinking to put the two pumps together as the factory and fix the console switch.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Cool Wednesday update

Upholstery day.

Today Louie Mesa help me to remove the complete interior. He has one of the best reputation for his work on leather. Plus, super nice guy! We are going to order the material while the car is going to be towed to the paint shop.
Question: I can see by the heat marks a hood liner or some kind insulation but it is missing. Does anybody has the correct picture for what in need?
THANKS!

Attached Thumbnails 1976 XJ12, New home-img_3298.jpg   1976 XJ12, New home-img_3290.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1976 XJ12, New home