Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'84 SIII Gas tank question...

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
(light bulb moment)
You mentioned RADIO NUTS and I pictured CLIMATE CONTROL nuts!
Duh. (';')
I call them radio nuts, but I am referring to the two notched climate control panel nuts, so your assumption is correct.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad

Jose: Search for Dr. Gregory Andrachuk's "JAGCARE II". A marvelous tome written with the involvement of Doug Dwyer. I think it describes the minor alteration to make the lock link work in both directions, lock and unlock!! I merely use the key??? Carl
Carl, thanks for the tip, so why isn't this modification in the HOW TO section??

Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

3. Jose: Search for Dr. Gregory Andrachuk's "JAGCARE II". A marvelous tome written with the involvement of Doug Dwyer. I think it describes the minor alteration to make the lock link work in both directions, lock and unlock!! I merely use the key???

Carl
"Jagcare" and some other goodies can be found here:

XJ Lovers - FAQ's and Technical Information

As I recall, yes, there's mention of the easy modification to make the trunk both lock and unlock along with the central locking system.

From memory....

The lock rod from the motor/solenoid moves in a slotted arm. Being in a slot, rather than a hole, the "throw" from the motor/solenoid is effective in only one direction. The mod is to use a small bolt and nut to capture the rod within the slot. This allows the arm to be both pulled and pushed by the motor/solenoid.....giving both "lock" and "unlock" capability.

Very easy mod; the process/theory is very self-evident when you actually look at the linkage. I did this many years ago to the Series III I owned at the time. It's on my "to do" list for my present Series III.

My involvement with Jagcare was very minimal. I merely helped with some pictures. All the credit belongs to Gregory.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

wonderful! where can I get the instructions??

Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
wonderful! where can I get the instructions??
I'm all but certain the instructions are in Jagcare but if you look at the linkage arrangement it'll be self-apparent

Cheers
DD

Old 01-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

I downloaded and just finished looking at Jagcare III but it is not there, looks like it may be in Jagcare II which I cannot find, and I have no clue how to do it by looking at the linkage (which I am very familiar with). You mention a "nut", but again, no clue.
thanks.

Last edited by Jose; 01-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
I downloaded and just finished looking at Jagcare but it is not there, and I have no clue how to do it by looking at the linkage (which I am very familiar with). You mention a "nut", but again, no clue.
thanks.

I'll do the mod on my Series III soon and take some pics!

Cheers
DD

Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

I look forward to it.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jose:

I get the image as depicted in words. a rod is inserted into a slot. Rod moves one way but, not the other way.

Desired change in operation: Lock and unlock.

Fix: Insert a small bolt and nut into the slot. Tighten. Slot is now a hole. Rod works both ways.

I wonder why Jaguar opted for a slot and one way operation over a simple hole and two way operation??

We will probably never know. "Ours is not to reason why, but to do" ???

Not persuasive in my lexicon. How and why much more popular for me!!

Jeep hatch strut replacement on hold. Two reasons. How to support hatch at maximum open and attach the strut at the lower pivot. Three arms needed. I've only two!! And intense rain...

If it had to be, which it does not, I'd take the Jaguar out of the garage. Put the Jeep in out of the rain, and fashion a post to support the hatch at maximum up!!!

Naah, inside chores and foot ball later. Raiders vs Texans. A conflict of interest here???

Carl

Old 01-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder why Jaguar opted for a slot and one way operation over a simple hole and two way operation??
I think is was part of the 'valet' capability

As I recall...perhaps incorrectly....the valet key operates only the door locks and ignition. Trunk and glove box require the other key.

With this, and the trunk NOT unlocking with the doors, the car could be left with a valet knowing that the trunk and glovebox were secure.

I dunno. Just a guess.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Carl, Thanks.

whenever I need to remove the struts in my Ford Aerostar hatch, I use a ladder in the open position, and just add shims at the top of the ladder as needed to keep the hatch at the right opened height.

Ok, I know the boot mechanism pretty good. The electric lock solenoid has a rod that extends into the latch, and its "L" shaped end hooks into a clip.

the question I have is: where the heck do you put a screw and nut?

here's a picture of the boot lock/latch asembly.

Attached Thumbnails '84 SIII Gas tank question...-xj-trunk-linkage-rod.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

My memory is being challenged and my car is 83 miles away!

Maybe the slot we've been referring to is at the solenoid end of the linkage?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Jose, have a helper operate the door locks while you observe the throw of the trunk lock linkage. Things should be apparent.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

ok will try that Doug, but to clarify, the rod that comes out of the solenoid, is a rod with a "Ring end" onto which a "hook" connects to, coming from the opposite "L" shaped side.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

found it: here's the mod instructions even though I still don't understand how bending the rod from the solenoid can cause the lock to unlock AND lock. Anyone has a picture of where the screw is inserted? This is not as apparent as it sounds.

============================================

S3 Trunk Solenoid Mod to Unlock
Michael Stanford & Harold Rabbie

modify the S3 XJ6 trunk lid solenoid to both lock and un-lock.

Fairly simple, requires a small bolt, a nut, two washers and a slight bend in the solenoid actuator rod.

Looking at the lock mechanism from inside the trunk (with the lid open, duh), you will find a slotted metal linkage with a round metal rod linked to it horizontally. The rod comes from the solenoid (to the right as you look at it) which is wired parallel to the door solenoids. The length of the slot and rod prevent the solenoid from unlocking the latch.

To make it unlock, just find a small bolt that will fit in the slotted piece of metal. In my case, a metric bolt and nut that were laying in my tool box worked great. Put a 1/4" flat washer on the bolt, thread it through the slot, add another washer and nut on the back. Tighten the bolt securely in the left-hand end of the slot. Then, carefully bend the rod coming from the solenoid in a manner which will shorten it about 1/4-3/8".

Operate the door locks. You should find that the trunk now un-locks and locks with the doors. If not, adjust the rod length by bending or move the bolt slightly.

============================================

Last edited by Jose; 01-09-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Jose:

1. I had to look. As I had emptied my office wastebasket, a trip out was needed. Coco needed an out as well. I took my neat little LED flash light, aka "torch" along with me.
I opened the boot, with a key. By sitting on the boot floor, feet still on the garage floor, and the use of the light, I could see the mechanism clearly. Exactly the same as in your picture. Color included!!!

Look carefully at the cable that is parallel to the boot lid lower edge. A male end enters a female lever. The clip that keeps the end in place hides the fact that it is not into a hole but a slot. Not long, 1/4" or less as I view it.

Remove that clip and one should see the slot. Close the gap, a teeny nut and bolt, or..

The trick, if any might be rehooking the retension clip.

2. Great minds run in the same channels. I wondered about a prop stick. One of my sawn of tree limbs, a shileahleah (sp), a two by four from my wood supply. Then light came on. My step ladder....

Probably not today, sprinkling only, but wet and messy. If it had to be, I would do it. It doesn't...

The plastic was stuck in my woven cane basket. The whole durn thing came close to
going to recycle..... temper, temper....

Carl.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

ok, Carl, so we are talking about the rod that comes horizontally from the solenoid actuator, correcto? ( not the linkage that goes vertically as in the photo).

so pulling the clip will reveal a slot. And in that slot I am inserting a screw and nut?

I am laughing because I still can't figure this one haha!

Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Carl, since you know about vintage car parts, check this guy out, he's selling the entire store in Florida:

SELLING OUT OLD AUTOMOTIVE STORE

Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

YUP!!!

At times, one's mind just gets stuck. Then, it hits...

Carl

Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the slot with small bolt installed.

Unfortunately my lock solenoid id dead. Oh well. Another item on the list!

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails '84 SIII Gas tank question...-lock-slot.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-09-2017)

Search this Thread