XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 jag xj6 short Hesitation on launch...

Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 87 jag xj6 short Hesitation on launch...

I find this at a stop light once it turns gree. I step on the gas pedal hard and it has a slight hickup before launching. Once underway no issues just from idle to power. This car only has 17,000 original miles most parts that I see are original. So where would you start to figure out the issue?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,911 Likes on 5,277 Posts

"Hesitation on *Launch*"

LOL!! I knew I wasn't the only who drives that way (isn't that what green lights are for??) but it's somehow comforting to see it here in black and white.
(';')

Old 04-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,740 Likes on 7,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettl
I find this at a stop light once it turns gree. I step on the gas pedal hard and it has a slight hickup before launching. Once underway no issues just from idle to power. This car only has 17,000 original miles most parts that I see are original. So where would you start to figure out the issue?

Thanks
Does engine temp make any difference?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

check all the air intake rubber duct sections from the front "cornet", to the air filter canister, to the AFM, to the throttle body aluminum "elbow", are positively in place and tightened, (do not overtighten the clamps).

Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine only does that on a cold engine. Not that i floor it too often when the engine is cold of course. Oh who am i kidding i floor it everywhere.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's does it after being warmed up. If I pull away gradual and slowly it will not do it.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Hehe, way back when I got my T to run at about age 16, my pals called me the speed king. In a T????

But, in a later development of that car, it was fun to stop jump. I had added a milled head, twin straight pipes, an A carb, foot throttle and lost a bunch of weight by dumping the bed and fenders and running boards!! Oh, and a two speed rear axle to cover that gap from first to high in the two speed T transmission. Shifted with a rod and spring. Move the lever and release torque by lifting momentarily on the foot feed and it would snap shift. Kinda intricate, but faster than anyone could do with a conventional three speed. Good for about a 1/4 block and then most anything had enough to catch and pass me.

Well, I don't do that so much anymore. But, at times, it is satisfying to punch the gas on the lump and let the Cadillac show it's stuff. It doesn't spin the wheels, just squats and moves. The low rpm torque and the deep low were developed for the huge Fleetwood Brougham and feel right at home in the smaller but heavy Jaguar.

Factoid: Age and mileage take their toll on cars. If mileage hasn't time has!!
As well as the type of miles. The highway car vs the grocery getter!!!

Some years ago, I was trying to eliminate a similar flat spot in the Sorta Corsa turbo'd 65 Corvair. I was messing with it's infinitely tuneable Webber carb. Then, my bare arm touched the = battery cable. Hot!!! Not good. I changed it for a better one. Guess? Flat spot gone!!!

The loud pedal is there for a purpose!!!

Carl

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,740 Likes on 7,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettl
It's does it after being warmed up. If I pull away gradual and slowly it will not do it.
Well, it does sound like a momentary lack of fuel. But Jose's advice is sound as leaking air intake tract can cause odd symptoms.

Carl's battery cable story is also pertinent as the F.I. system relies on lots of voltage supply and good grounds. Check all related connections (AFM connector especially) and don't forget the bundle of ground wires at the rear of the water rail. The entire fuel injection system grounds there.

If those don't pan out I'd also check the throttle bore for gunk

Cheers
DD