Sponsored by:

Coupe Project or Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Coupe Project or Not

Hi Guys

I’m a regular on the X300 forum and just dropping in here for some words of wisdom from you.

A couple of days ago a chap knocked on my door – directed to me by a friend of a friend who knows I'm a "Jag Man". He has a 1977 Daimler 4.2 Coupe. It belonged to his father who passed away two and half years ago. His mother would not allow the car to be disposed of then but she has passed away now also, so he needs to move the car on.

The Coupe is a car that I have always loved the look of, although I know little of the older Series jags mechanically (but had a few V12 XJS) and I have never driven one. I’m going to have a look at the car later this evening – initially just to give him a view on condition. My expectations are low, although he did say his father spent a lot of money on the car. His father bought it new and it has always been in the family. It has 77K on the clock. That’s all I know.

I’m always tempted by a project (my current X300 is a complete rebuild) and I have no fears about mechanical work. Body restoration though has not really been my thing.

I’ve been reading around the forum for the last couple of days and that has armed me with some basic points to look for (I especially liked LnrB floor replacement thread) and it has sort of made me want to take on the Coupe.

Price wise he has no idea and neither do I (especially as I haven’t seen it yet).

I wasn’t really thinking about another project but sometimes these things just come along. Should I go and have a cold bath and/or get some counseling or should I make an offer?

I’ll report back when I’ve seen it – if it’s not for me then someone else on here may be interested.

PS - Don't tell my wife about this thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Hello, Brendan
I'm LnrB of the Floor Pan thread to which you refer. Thank you for your kind remarks.

77000 isn't much for a car that old. Of course the odometer only has 5 places so it may be 177000 miles. Even so, mechanicals are relatively easy to fix; other members in here with standard Jaguar engines and transmissions will certainly help you with those. When did it run last?

Figure on going through the brakes from end to end; front are easy and straightforward. Rear are not. They're a Royal Pain uknowwhere!

If the climate control seems to work that's a big plus but probably the AC is flat. Converting to Propane/Butane (HC-12a) will bring it back to new. It works better than 134 or 134a and is less harmful to Ozone, doesn't require heroic efforts to convert.

How does the car look inside? Are the seats cared for, leather soft, or worn, hard and cracked, especially driver seat. Do the windows at least try to work? Is the trunk dry, has it always been dry? Does the car smell moldy?

How's the paint? Do all the locks work with keys? Are there keys for all the locks?

Rust is the worst enemy. If it's been garaged all its life you have a better chance, but even then there will certainly be some rust under the gas pedal and along the side just ahead of the driver's seat from driving in rainy weather when the car was new.

Take the carpet up in those places if you can and see what the floor pan looks like. Poke around and see if it's solid, Especially along the side. There's a metal break there (sharp bend) that seems to weaken the structure. Mine was So bad I could see carpet from the outside! Scrape away the undercoat for a good look and poke around from under there.

Passenger side of my car was also not wonderful but I put a Frankenstein patch on it. If someone crawls under and sees that line of fender washers and Nylocs they deserve it.

My car hasn't rusted around either the windshield or rear window, but there is a bubble on the right rear fender flare. Look for any bubbles in the paint, even small ones, they'll only grow.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess what it might be "worth." He'll probably take what you offer if he thinks you're reasonable, but I don't have a number. Others with more experience than I have will certainly chime in with more if I've missed something.

I hope I have given you something to at least think about; questions to ask, things to look for, things to check.
(';')
ElinorB.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

If the car has not completly desolved, being smashed beyond recognition, just DO it. There are not many of those coupe's around anymore. Save the history bla bla bla.
It's your cash and time, and it might cost you more than flowers and chocolates in the wife department, but DO it. One old man owner from new??, and his wifey wouldn't part with it?, I suspect that it has been well looked after, and it was his pride and joy.
As you say you have had some XJS's, they are very similar in the aging, rusting, maintanence issues, so you have some ideas what you are doing.
My adivese is, If it still resembles what it is suposed to be, and your bank account can cope with it, hide the kitchen knives and the fry pan, and bring it home.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

It very much depends on the condition, especially rust wise and the time and effort you are willing to commit to it, as to whether it's a worthwhile project.

I would say if you are prepared to put the time and effort in to it then it's worth saving or at least passing it on to someone else who will save one one these beautiful beasts.

Post some pics and details when you have seen it and it will be easier to give advice on whether to do it or at least pass it on to someone who will put the time and effort to save it from the scrap route.

I'm very biased but I would hate for one more of these cars to get scrapped or broken up for parts.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 AM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Rust would be my only issue, other than that there a lovely car.....I'd go for it, and I won't mention it to the wife!

Old 09-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

do it - please save another coupe

Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks all for your input and encouragement, most helpful in guiding me.

I went to see the car and was pleasantly surprised. It appears to be in pretty good shape overall for its age.

I learned a bit more about the history. It has actually been off the road for about 8 years since the old man reached the age of 80. So it was parked up for safety reasons rather than any mechanical fault. I found a bag full of documentation in the boot including the original sale invoice from local Jag dealer and loads of receipts, some for huge amounts of money spent on maintenance (including having new sills and wax injection when it was 7 years old!). So I’m pretty confident the car was well looked after.

But it does have some issues that we might expect. The floor does look poor and there is some small bubbling on front top of drivers door, both rear wheel arches and lower part of front wings (I know these will be much worse underneath).

Interior looks good and no mold smell. Just piping on driver’s seat needs to be sorted. Boot floor looks like new.

The car is a non runner so I wasn’t able to test anything. It will be no small task just to move it from where it sits – after 8 years I can imagine the wheels will not turn willingly.

It’s definitely got potential and is way too good to break from what I can see. Having said that, I did some *** packet estimating of what it would take just to get it running and roadworthy/MOT’d. I will assume full brake overhaul, fuel system, tyres, battery, bushes front and rear, shocks, allow something for cooling system, and electrics, drivers floor may be an MOT failure (not sure as no holes in it). So a fair bit of time and money, and that’s taking a gamble on engine, gearbox, diff. So it’s not a No Brainer for me.

I’m still mulling it over. I continue to swing from “I really want to do this” to “Why would you take that on”. I feel the former will win in the end and I’ll make an offer. Although I would never look at this as an investment, at the same time I don’t want to throw money down a bottomless pit so it would need to be at the right price. I’ll let you know in a few days.

(and wife in on board now also )

Attached a few photos that I took of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Coupe Project or Not-1-p1020054.jpg   Coupe Project or Not-2-p1020057.jpg   Coupe Project or Not-3-p1020060.jpg   Coupe Project or Not-4-p1020067a.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

From where I sit that floor ISN'T BAD!! When I pulled my carpets up like that I could already see the garage floor! If you can't easily poke a screwdriver through at the gas pedal or beside the driver seat as I described earlier, you might get away with cleaning it up, scrape all the flaky stuff away, spray it with Etching Primer (use breathing protection, it WILL etch your lungs!) and then a Good metal paint like Rust-Oleum, or an epoxy material.

Now that I see what you're considering, I'm firmly on board with the "YOU HAVE TO SAVE THIS CAR" crowd. Besides. It's Red!
(';')

Old 09-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Save it.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 AM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

If it was here I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e
I don't have the space, but I'm sure it's not that big I couldn't squeeze it in somewhere. I need a new project,all my stuff just keeps on going.
I spent five hours in the garage today with Fireball and the only thing I did was adjust the belt on the air con compressor and screwed down the rear speaker covers .......and sat on my stool looking at it.

New project....

Old 09-10-2015, 05:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e

+1!

Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not only is it a rare car but very desirable b/c of the 6 cylinder engine. I imagine some other enthusiasts are like me and terrified of taking on a V12. This one has all the style of the Coupe and an easier engine set up. In my book, that makes it more valuable/able to be preserved.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also definitely buy it if I could.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 PM

If you can put the effort into it it looks worth saving. If not pass it on. Just don't let it be scrapped!!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

seriously, that is the car I was looking for when I found my 4dr series III in the same color. love the black interior on red exterior. definitely have to save that one.

love the front mounted side mirrors, the overall coupe look - so good!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 PM

Have you bought it yet????????

Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hi all

Thanks again for your replies. Just an update to close this down.

I did make an offer for the Coupe based on what it was worth to me and the work/cost to get it where I would want it to be. But my offer has not been accepted.

To reassure you all, I don't think there is any danger of the car being scrapped (my offer was certainly not at that level). So if anyone is interested then keep an eye on ebay over the coming weeks.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 PM

What was he asking for it?