XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Indicator Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dash Indicator Lights

Here's an odd one, I have been replacing the dash lights with LEDs the fiddliest being the one inside the two big speed gauges that indicate the indicators are on, so these are the green 'arrow' lights.

When I first wired in the right hand one it worked fine, then proceeded to left hand one but only got a single blink from it and then off. If I turned it back on again, single blink. If I gave it direct battery pack power the light when on and stayed on. Then back to the right one and same thing now happening. So did I do something nasty to the indicator relay think here?

The LED lights are just small two-pin LED with a resister soldered on to reduce the power for them. Any thoughts?

Dash it all...

Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

The most probable reason is that the standard bulbs draw way more current than the LEDs so are not not providing enough draw for the relay to work properly.
Try putting the original indicator bulbs in and see if that fixes the probably.
You may be able to replace the flasher unit with a transistorised one or one for LEDs and replace the indicator bulbs with led types as well.
like 3 Pin Adjustable LED Flasher Relay for Car Turn Signal Indicator Blinker Light | eBay

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, I don't think the relay cares as to less or more load.

But, the flasher sure does.

Agree, get a match.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 04:15 AM

put original bulb back and now it does nothing.
if i measure the voltage I get a momentary surge of voltage (like the light coming on once sort of thing) then nil.
changed the flasher unit for another one I had spare but same thing (4 pin 'bella' unit, assuming this to be the flasher)
indicators on outside of car still fine.
if I switch it off and on again straight away no voltage shows but if I leave it for 4 seconds or so I get the momentarily surge before zero.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 AM

ok, I see its about parity, both lights need to have bulbs in and they have to be proper 12v screw ins as the little leds no matter how they are set up, cant do the job. a correct 12v halogen or led screw in works corrects, do get a little 'spill' of power at time with both bulbs going at once but they are flashing correctly now.
thanks