XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Directional signal flasher 87 XJ-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Directional signal flasher 87 XJ-6

Howdy! The relay is under the driver's side fuse panel. Use a large flat head screwwdriver to turn the large plastic screw and underneath you will see a fuse box and to the left of it there is a relay that clips to the left side of the fuse box. I replaced my relay this year as well. I also did the hazard relay.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

the 1982 has TWO relays ? My 1984 only has one for blinkers and emergency flashers, it is locatedon the left side of the Main Fuse Box under the Driver's Sideupholstery dash panel. (see picture below to see what it looks like).

If replacing the relay does not cure the problem, it is most likely the Stalk Switch itself, the one mounted on the steering column.These stalk switches are easily rebuildable, but you will need the Factory Service Manual to go through the removal procedure step-by-step.

As you already found out, Haynes manuals are a joke. And guessing your way through the removal of the stalk switch will only cause more problems than you already have. Follow the Factory Service Manual procedure to the letter, and like Nancy Grace says, that is the understatement of the year...[sm=outcold.gif]

by the wayn your Fuel Switch Access exercise, all you need to do to access the fuel switch or any other switch is to pry/pull off the Trip Computer, no need to remove the a/c and radio panel or the switch panel. That shows you the need for the Factory Service Manual, lots of tricks there and for $25. the best investment you'll ever make.Topry-pull the trip computer cleanly without scratching the panel, use FLOSSING STRING, double it and slide it behind the left and right edges of the trip computer, then pull it a little at a time on each side. It is a piece of wedding cake.

Jose

Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

All the Ser IIIs had a single flasher for both turn signals and hazard flashers. I suspect Walter got his hands on the load relay or something.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

maybe he meant he also replaced the Hazard Switch.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Yes, Jose I meant to say the hazard switch on the column. Thank you for catching that. Incedentally, I have no turn signals! I did a modification to the stock and linked the side marker lights to my turn signals. Very nice since the front turn signals are buryed deep in that big black bumper! It is great...but I keep blowing fuses i have a short somewhere. I plan to dissconnect the sides in favor of the USA model spec. That will probally fix the turn signal operation.

I took apart the old relay and watched it work. For a day or two, if i messed with the hazard switch, it would operate the turn signals when I needed to use them, then the turn signals went away entirely. Oh yeah, and the low beam head light intermittenly works.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Walter, I too modified my Sidelights to blink with the Turn Signals, and I get no blown fuses. The trick is to use the Floating Ground concept.

If you return the wiring to original factory specs, I can send you a PDF file with detailed instructions to make it work without blowing any fuse. I spent a total of $6.00 in materials, the rest was labor duringa weekend, once you do the first sidelight, the other three are a piece of cake.

Mine now work in two ways:

1) with the Headlamp Switch in the OFF position, the Sidelights blink in perfect unison with the front bumper and Rear tailamp signals.

2) with the Headlamp Switch in any of the ON positions, the Sidelights blink intermittently with the front bumper and Rear tailamp signals. This is my favorite, the Christmas Tree effect!

3) the Emergency Flasher works the same way as above, unaffected by this mod, in any case it is improved because now I have 8 (eight) blinking lights. Very powerful because with this mod, other drivers canclearly see my intentions from any angle, lights OFF or ON, Turn Signals or Emergency flashers.

As to the High and Low Beams, that is an entirely separate circuit. Have you checked the fuses on the small 5-fuse box located near the Coolant Tank in the engine compartment? Each headlamp has a fuse there, the Fifth fuse is for the Auxiliary Electric Fan.

Jose

Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Jose,

I went back to stock on my turn signals but still no operation. Fuses all look good. Ill have to look into rebuilding the switch in the column now, right?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walter1982

Jose,

I went back to stock on my turn signals but still no operation. Fuses all look good. Ill have to look into rebuilding the switch in the column now, right?
Could be, but first......

Power for the regular turn signals comes thru the hazard switch. Are you getting voltage from the hazard switch to the flasher (light green/pink wire)?

Cheers
DD

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Walter,

I've been traveling, sorry I missed your question but Doug is right, in fact I would verify the wiring at the Hazard Switch first, there is a known bug in the factory's Electrical Chart. I have the revised-corrected wiring if you need it. Since you replaced the hazard switch, I wonder if you followed the factory wiring chart, in which case, the Hazard Switch may work, but not the blinkers.

Let's start at the Hazard Switch wiring, verifying every wire there.

Jose

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Jose, when I replaced the hazard switch, I simply held the new one uo near where the old one was, and put each wire in the same spot on the new switch where it was on the old switch untill all the wires were on the new one. Assuming the old one was correct, the new is a carbon copy.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

ok,

1) when you did this, did you make sure the orientation of the switches (OFF-ON) was the same on both?

(they are almost identical in the rear whether you flip them one way or the other, easy to be fooled by the look of the terminals). If you look at the back of the switch with a magnifying glass, there are Numbers next to each female spade terminal.

2) assuming the wiring is good at the Hazard switch,when you turn the Hazard switch ON, do you get all 4 lights flashing, front and rear? BOTH with Engine ON or OFF ?

if yes, let's assume the wiring is fine for now and leave it alone.

3) when you pull the blinker Stalk switch towards the steering wheel, can youflash the headlights ON with it? (headlight switch OFF). Can you do this with engine BOTH ON and OFF? Can you do this with headlights switch BOTH ON and OFF ?

4) does your 1982 have Cruise Control? if yes, is there a button on the end of the Stalk to
set the cruise control ?

You might be wondering where am I going with this? I'm trying to find out what you have and what is working or not.

Jose

Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

Jose,
What is the "Bug" that you refer to in the Factory manual. I cannot understand how the system works from what I can see. Is there a revised diagram available? Ian