XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i get more front negative camber

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default How do i get more front negative camber

Exactly what the title states how do i get more negative front camber? Im also playing with the idea of making some tubular lower control arms to poke the front wheels out more and get more steering angle.

(bonus points to any one that knows why i want more angle in the front )

Old 10-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by sunchip
Exactly what the title states how do i get more negative front camber? Im also playing with the idea of making some tubular lower control arms to poke the front wheels out more and get more steering angle.

You need to (EDIT:) ADD shims to decrease camber angle. This moves the top spindle carrier closer toward the center of the car. (For more camber [+] move the top out from the center of the car. Positive settings are out and back; thumbs out [+camber], thumbs back [+caster])

To do this remove shims from the upper wishbone as seen at the red arrow in the picture below.

Loosen both these bolts, pry the parts apart and EDIT: ADD shims as needed. Shims are quite long, extending across both bolts. Each shim is supposed to be good for 1/4 degree adjustment.

This picture is now I found Nix; an incorrect attempt to set caster.
Don't Try To Set Caster This Way!!
(';')

Last edited by GGG; 10-20-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: edit applied as requested by LnrB - originally got it backwards!
The following users liked this post:
Sarc (10-22-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Surely to get negative camber, you add shims as the inner trunnion carrier is bolted to the inside of the spring tower. More shims means the upper wishbone pivots are then moved towards the centre of the car. Or am I wrong ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
LnrB (10-18-2016), ronbros (10-21-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Thank you, Fraser!
Geeze what was I thinking!
Corrected now.
(';')

Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM

oh wow if thats the case then mine came with 1/2 inches worth of washers used add negative camber :/ the front wheels are sitting at about a degree of positive camber right now so if i ad another washers worth then i should be fine right? i only need them to be slightly negative right now. ill figure out how to get them really tucking up once i get the car running

Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 PM

this is what i intend to do with the car once its sorted out

Old 10-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Then you need not worry about camber . . .
You just need your own tyre company . . .
Nah sorry, better still . . . you need your own bank!!!

Serious racing, I understand, but this? Ah, well . . . to each, his own.

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
o1xjr (10-22-2016), ronbros (10-21-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yahoo, love those pictures! If only they had sound and even smell!!

As I get it, negative camber on the front and even the rear
is a racing desirable.

Two ways:

1. Move the upper control arm "in" by shim removal.
2. Move the lower arm out by adding spacers.

Rear:

Even with "live" axles racers have messed with negative camber.
Outer bearings misaligned. Failure certain. But enough life for a race???

In either case, tire wear?? Enough for a race? good enough.
In daily life, not so much!!!

Way back in racing "stock" cars on ovals, the weight transfer to
the right front wheel was considerable. Immense "under steer" was the result!! And worse, loss of momentum. Momentum wins races!!
That axiom is time tested.

So, add a really big RF tire and lots of negative camber. Great for left turn racing. Awful elsewhere!!!

Carl

Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Not impressed !!

Taking a classic car and holding the accelerator to the floor ,..slamming it into gear, to make a lot of kiddy smoke /noise.. ??? it does not take a genius to do this - ( just some arrested mental development )..such a shame... This was an upscale luxury car being thrashed like they did to the Jaguars that the misguided cash for clunkers scam called "gas guzzlers" only to be replaced with subsidized Hummers..and Yugos Sheer madness...... " Beam me up Scotty - there is no intelligent life on this planet" Captain Kirk - Starship Enterprise

rant over...

Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

someplace on THIS forum, there is a guy building an XJ Jaguar for drifting, he is also doing the 6 cylinder turbocharged!

he is up around Seattle NW area, he has a lot of good ideas for XJs.

in fact if the XJ engine dont make it he was going to use a Toyota 2JZ engine.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Not impressed !!

Taking a classic car and holding the accelerator to the floor ,..slamming it into gear, to make a lot of kiddy smoke /noise.. ??? it does not take a genius to do this - ( just some arrested mental development )..such a shame... This was an upscale luxury car being thrashed like they did to the Jaguars that the misguided cash for clunkers scam called "gas guzzlers" only to be replaced with subsidized Hummers..and Yugos Sheer madness...... " Beam me up Scotty - there is no intelligent life on this planet" Captain Kirk - Starship Enterprise

rant over...
To be fair, this is the reason im doing this. This is going to be a multi purpose car, it will be built to handle reasonably well, drift reasonably well, drag reasonably well and most importantly cruise reasonable well. And in doing that get reactions out of people, and most importantly get a rise out of people. This car was too far gone for an affordable "back to original" restoration. I would love nothing more than an all original xj6 or 12, unmolested and beautiful, but that is not the plan for this car. High horsepower V8, strong trans, and countless sets of rims and tires for various activities. To be fair it doesnt really even look like a typical s3 at all any more, its got similar lines overall but i get asked if its a BMW/Merc/Audi even. I respect your opinion completely, but i do feel like the saying "to each his own" applies here. You have your car, do what you want to it, and enjoy it your own way. Im doing the modifications to my car that I like and i enjoy.

Also side note, controlling a 4000 pound car at 70 mph going into a tight corner at almost full opposite lock is incredibly difficult. I would love to see some simpleton try and control a 1100bhp competition drift car on a twisty track, or even a 140bhp 240sx in a large open space, its not as simple as it looks. Dont knock something as "kiddy" because youre not a fan of it. yes kids take their cheap jap rwd coupes and wrap them around poles at the local walmart, but going to a closed track and learning a new driving style in a controled environment, with professionals available to give pointers, isnt very kiddy if you ask me. And i feel that this is another case of "to each his own" drifting isnt your thing, fair, its your opinion and i respect that, but drifting is very much my thing, i love it, there are so many factors to consider, aerodynamics, gearing, power delivery, tuning, and many other factors. Just like any other motorsport there is a lot to consider with drifting. i just feel that its quickly dismissed as a 'waste' or 'juvenile' motorsport because 'its a waste of good tires' fair, but thats what it is, take it or leave it.

o1xjr (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Whoah?

Room under the tent for all!!! Even some "purist" Jag guys go slaloom racing. Tough on the car ands lots of $'sa for tires.

More than "decent" Jag salons go to the wrecker regulartly. Sad. but true. Add a lot of power and use them. seejms better to me.

My delete key went dead??? Odd post, yeah....

Carl

FIXED!!!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:58 AM

Has nothing to do with "fairness" - weak argument... If the people who see the car, and enjoy this mindless activity, or figure 8 "racing", " demolishion derbys" etc. and can not tell the difference between a classic Jaguar and an Audi /BMW etc....then there is not much left to be said.

"Getting reactions" from people ? Well I just gave you one ... probably not what was anticipated. But its your pile of iron, so whatever floats your boat.

Then of course, there is always the bouncing Chevy Impalas "with homie hydraulics' ... mindless.. What for... i ask myself..? to get a reaction from people ? ...we have all seen this and moved on.. in the back of our minds a lot of us think.. "kinda dopey"

Now if that builder were forced to lay on the ground between the front wheels, and someone flipped the "bounce now" button... - THAT would be fun...even I would buy a ticket to see that.. lol.

Falls into the same category as car shows ... quite a few folks,.. when seeing my restored Jag up close, often ask "Are you going to put it in car shows"?

My usual response to these cretins is : "What the hell for? I don't need anyone's approval to justify what work I have done on my car. I did it for me. If you want one like it I will offer suggestions regarding how to go about it. Take it or leave it.

Just my opinion, but making kiddy noise/smoke is a waste of time from a hobbyist /restorer's point of view.

Thankfully its the last I will comment on the subject ..time to move on..

Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Also side note, controlling a 4000 pound car at 70 mph going into a tight corner at almost full opposite lock is incredibly difficult. I would love to see some simpleton try and control a 1100bhp competition drift car on a twisty track, or even a 140bhp 240sx in a large open space, its not as simple as it looks. Dont knock something as "kiddy" because youre not a fan of it. yes kids take their cheap jap rwd coupes and wrap them around poles at the local walmart, but going to a closed track and learning a new driving style in a controled environment, with professionals available to give pointers, isnt very kiddy if you ask me. And i feel that this is another case of "to each his own" drifting isnt your thing, fair, its your opinion and i respect that, but drifting is very much my thing, i love it, there are so many factors to consider, aerodynamics, gearing, power delivery, tuning, and many other factors. Just like any other motorsport there is a lot to consider with drifting. i just feel that its quickly dismissed as a 'waste' or 'juvenile' motorsport because 'its a waste of good tires' fair, but thats what it is, take it or leave it.

Good points.

When drifting is viewed as a legitimate form of competition....where a particular skill and talent is on display... is takes on an entirely different meaning.

But not everyone views it that way....probably because, as you suggest, there's an amateur "You Tube" element to the sport which seemingly appeals to those who simply love to see lots of tire smoke.

Adding to that is the trend (now on the decline, it seems, thankfully) where every 'road test' of a performance-oriented car includes the obligatory and mindless drifting-and-tire-smoke shots....which DOES take on a childish aspect. Tire smoke and drifting for exhibition purposes.....tire smoke ****, so to speak.

In any other form of performance or competition driving (that I can think of) tire smoke = loss of traction....and is exactly what you want to avoid. Thus, drifting takes on a rather silly aspect....except within the context of actual competition drifting where it is inherently part of the deal.

Me? I love some tire smoke from time to time . But, I think mindless tire burning is just that. Sorta like a fine whiskey....best enjoyed in small doses.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 10-22-2016 at 09:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
BenKenobi (05-02-2022), ronbros (10-24-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Falls into the same category as car shows ... quite a few folks,.. when seeing my restored Jag up close, often ask "Are you going to put it in car shows"?

My usual response to these cretins is : "What the hell for? I don't need anyone's approval to justify what work I have done on my car. .

Is that really how you view car shows? Seeking approval from others?

If so, I think you're probably in the minority.

I view them as sharing your car, and your work....which you're presumably proud of....with other enthusiasts.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (10-22-2016), ronbros (10-24-2016), yachtmanbuttson (04-09-2022)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Good points.

When drifting is viewed as a legitimate form of competition....where a particular skill and talent is on display... is takes on an entirely different meaning.

Cheers
DD
I have witnessed 3 wide drifting as a display in a car park at an ASBK (Australian Super bike round), not for the un-practised to try and a display of three drivers showing astonishing skills....not my scene but awesome to watch once.

Originally Posted by Doug

I view them as sharing your car, and your work....which you're presumably proud of....with other enthusiasts.

Cheers
DD
I show my car because I want to be there and I am proud of of where I have got it to. It may not be a trophy winner but it is my piece of work.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
ronbros (10-24-2016), yachtmanbuttson (04-09-2022)
Old 10-23-2016, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=Doug;1556404

Cheers
DD[/QUOTE]

Minority of what group ?
The group that needs reinforcement of what they have created?
I have not gone to "car shows" since I was about 16 Why would I want to? I really do not have the extra time to spend at car shows, to collect ooohs and aaahs from people... simply do not see the attraction of it.

If I see a car on the road or in a parking lot somewhere that catches my eye because of some positive characteristic - I might take a closer look when we both arrive at the next stop light ..(or the driver is just getting into the car / or just having parked it)... even offer the driver of the car a heartfelt unsolicited compliment - knowing first hand what effort has gone into the vehicle to get it to the state where it attracts positive attention.

Recently had this happen in a parking lot when I saw a beautiful silver blue 1972 BMW 3.0 CS coupe - one of my all time favorites (now priced way out of my price range) driven by an old guy (like myself) who was obviously enjoying it and had spent the last 8 years of "spare time" restoring it.
I told him I could relate, and informed him of my similar experience with my XJ6. Made an instant bond - mutual respect.
So much for car shows. I watch the auto auctions on TV -same thing ..

Attached Thumbnails How do i get more front negative camber-bmw-3.0-cs.jpg  
Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

The group that needs reinforcement of what they have created?

I seem to have touched a sore spot.

Sorry.

I view them as an in-the-flesh version of what we do on automotive discussion forums such as this.

However.....

If you're convinced...and it seems like you are... that car shows are nothing but seeking 'reinforcement' there's no point in trying to change your mind, I'll let the matter drop.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Around here we have "side shows". An odd branch of Homo Sapiens
pick sensitive sports to "cut donuts" and disrupt traffic. Freeways and
major interfares. An "in your face" sorta thing. Any car seems to be OK???

But others as well. A bunch of guys or perhaps gals as well took their
motorcycles on to SF's famed GC bridge. Stopped normal traffic to do their smokey donut burns and wheelies. CHP, so far ineffective in halting the narcisitic nonsense.

Whoah, the bicyclists get in to mis behavior. "Bicyle coalition" swarms downtown SF and brings traffic to a halt.
Our way is best, your's not at all!!

Whaah, the SF Mayor meets with them? Why not tell the Police
Chief to enforce the law....

Ugh, excesses just don't get it.

Caveat: Have a burned little rubber in my time? 5th!!

Carl

ronbros (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

how about getting a $500. dollar car, thats totaly wasted ,rust bad, not running , no brakes , suspension useless;; then putting $20K or maybe #30K into a 500 dollar car.

where is the common sense ,from a business point of view, a money consultant would laugh at such stupidity.

when car is done still aint worth nothing, so may as well do what you like to it!

its called enjoying your car!

Attached Thumbnails How do i get more front negative camber-60.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
LnrB (10-24-2016), o1xjr (10-24-2016)