XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the heater blower motor?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trouble-shooting my heater

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to remove the blower motor from within the dash. I've undone everything the Haynes manual tells me, and have also looked at the breakdown in my XKs Unlimited catalog, but can't figure out how to get the danged thing out!! I know it has something to do with the vacuum actuator connected to a vent on the top side (that I can't see), but how the heck does it come out??

Any hints (other than yanking it out)?

Attached Thumbnails How do I remove the heater blower motor?-100_5952.jpg  

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 11-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 AM

So, Teranslator sent me a book through the email on XJ-S (which is very simlar to my XJ12). Here's what the book says:

BLOWER FANS - REMOVAL: Fortunately, the blower fans are a lot easier to remove than the heater core. The blower housings are outboard toward either side of the car and connected to the center core with flexible rubber ducts. To remove each blower assembly requires removal of the underscuttle cover, fusebox, a couple wires, one vacuum line and two bolts.
In the Jaguar repair manual, one step in removing the blowers is to open the recirculation door and block it open. The next step listed is to remove the bolts holding the blower in. Please do not infer from this sequence that the blower retaining bolts are within the recirculation door; the door must be blocked open simply because it is linked to the outdoor air intake, which must be closed to prevent hanging up while the fan is being removed. The blower retaining bolts are on the outside of the housing and are obvious. Both steps are necessary but unrelated.

So, the only thing I'm not understanding is why, when I block the lower door open, doesn't it come out like it should. It lowers, but then catches at a certain point, and short of simply yanking it out (not knowing if it will damage something in the process), I'm not sure how to go about removing this thing. I guess I'll try again tomorrow and see how I end up...lol. Hopefully I won't have lost any hair (due to unessecary pulling on it due to frustration).

Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM

I figured it out!!!

There's a top door that's attached to the lower recirculation door. It was getting caught in the hole above the blower assembly. I had to jiggle it quite a bit to get it out, but I finally got it out. As soon as I figure out why my card reader in my PC isn't working, I'll post some pics of me taking it apart.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Well, now I'm attempting to rebuild it in the hopes that it will work (because I don't feel like paying $1200 for a replacement blower unit...YES $1200!!!!).

#1. BLOWER MOTOR RH PN: JA-JLM10896 Desc: SERIES III XJ-6/XJ-12 Price: $ 1166.00 / Each
Yes, I'm taking pictures. I may have to find my camera cable in order to load the pictures onto my PC.

I've already taken the unit apart, pulled the motor itself out, dismantled it (aren't the old cars GREAT?), cleaned it out, and reassembled it. The motor had two screws that held it together. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything with degreaser. It looks pretty good! Now I have to clean the squirrel cage and the housing, put it all back together, then go plug it into the car (before putting it back into it's place), and see if the blower works.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Well...so much for that idea, unless there's an issue with the relay. The motor doesn't come on. The vacuum actuator engages, and the temperature control servo engages, but the motor doesn't turn. I don't have a voltmeter, so I can't tell if it's actually getting power.

I'll take a look at the wiring diagram for the motor and see if it spins if I hard-wire it to the battery. We'll see.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM

The blower works. I hard-wired it to the battery and it spins great. So it's either the knob on the temperature control panel (the one that turns the blower on), or a relay. Wait and see!!!