XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's this for an idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default How's this for an idea?

Now don't shoot me, this might rub a few people the wrong way. I really like the vinyl top look on the xj-c so I'm thinking that I'll give my saloon a 2 two tone paint job. I feel it will add a more sporty aggressive look which is there subtly in the xj6 already but I think this may bring it out.

Black on the top half and the original "English racing mustard" :-P on the bottom half.

What do you gents think? Good idea or terrible?
I'll take the black right down the A pillar to where the panel goes horizontal, unlike the vinyl top ones which stop an inch down the A pillar.

The second part of this idea is to use a plastidip spray which has the vinyl texture and can be applied with out damaging the original paint for those of you that wouldn't dare deviate from the standard jag colours :-P

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I quite like the vinyl roof look on the xjc also, not sure how that would translate in paint.

Sometimes, in my more perverse lumper-ish moments I imagine my car in Chevy turquoise with a white roof going to a Jag Club day :-)

Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Some years ago, I saw a saloon similar to mine. Silver metallic over black. Not really my taste, but very well done and striking.

In about 1946, a pal's mom rented out a room to an army couple. Their Pop away in service. The young soldier bought a neat little 41 ****** coupe. Green in color, but well oxidized by the hot Texas sun. He wasn't much older than us. 20's as to our17's or so. He polished the paint on the body below the belt line and left the top as is. Presto tutone paint. Fancy at the time.

And, a local shop customized a big buck. closed the rear small windows for a limo look. The top was undercoated rather than painted. It did look like the custom carriage work of the prewar era....

So, why not?????

Carl

Old 09-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Harry:
"English Racing Mustard" ROTFLOLOL!! I Luv it!

Other than that, it's YOUR car, and it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, here or anywhere. However, I like what you describe. Be sure to post pictures.

If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to look.

Steve:
I dare you to go to a Jag show with that paint job. LOL
(';')

Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

I personnally think I just pucked a little bit but I agree with LnrB "If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to look."
TO EACH HIS OWN!!!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Default Racing Mustard

Sometimes I imagine English Racing Mustard to be a purpose made mustard that you rub on your ?inner thighs/bollocks? In aid of running faster. I assume it would work... With the heat and all. So it's not too much further to surmise that my English Racing Mustard coloured jag probably goes quicker then say a black one.

Will most certainly post pictures when done. Probably tomorrow. Although the camera angles will be tight. Iv currently got the cam adjustment shims out so moving the mustard machine isn't so simple.

After some testing, I've decided to do it with plastidip which is a removable vinyl spray-on product. It has a nice dull vinyl texture and finish so that will aid in looking more like the xj-c. I've got it all some what masked up so I'll report back as I go though the process.

The two tone oxidised and polished look could be cool, more of a rat rod sort of look.

All masked up, just need to attach newspaper to protect the rest of the car :-P

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
Sometimes, in my more perverse lumper-ish moments I imagine my car in Chevy turquoise with a white roof going to a Jag Club day :-)
I don't think you'd get past the gate keeper Steve!!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge

The second part of this idea is to use a plastidip spray which has the vinyl texture and can be applied with out damaging the original paint for those of you that wouldn't dare deviate from the standard jag colours :-P
I was going to suggest why not just go for the vinyl? but the plastidip may do it. It's all down to personal taste, and it's your car. I can't help wondering though if the more textured vinyl like finish would just add something??

Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jagent
I was going to suggest why not just go for the vinyl? but the plastidip may do it. It's all down to personal taste, and it's your car. I can't help wondering though if the more textured vinyl like finish would just add something??
I'm not too sure how I'd glue the vinyl on haha, I imagine it would look great though. The actual vinyl would certainly be closer to the original look but the plastidip is so easy :-P plus I'm half way there.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Default Getting there

Ripped off the masking and waiting for the stuff to dry now. Looks alright. I'm sort of worried about some of the texture as I may have not sprayed it so well. It does smooth out pretty good when it starts to dry abit more.

Drying.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,783 Posts

Any pics of where you finished the front?

Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Any pics of where you finished the front?

Front.

Here ya go. Not bad I reckon. What are peoples thoughts? I think I'll chuck some white walls on the wheels and that'll bring it all together.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 AM

I like where you finished the lines, it does go well though not sure about the finish. Very hard to tell on the pics....probably better when it's dry. Overall I like the two tone.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daf11e
I like where you finished the lines, it does go well though not sure about the finish. Very hard to tell on the pics....probably better when it's dry. Overall I like the two tone.
Yea the finish looks terrible in these photos as it's still wet, it's an odd product, it will dry smooth though.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:13 AM

I'm sure it will....well done.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

While I don't usually like Yellow cars, the Black roof makes it acceptable.
Besides. Like I said before, it doesn't matter What others think, it's YOUR car!

Excellent job masking too. We had that drummed into us when I was in Paint & Body class in college. Nothing ruins a nice paint job like sloppy masking. (Runs and orange peel aren't nice paint jobs.)
(';')

Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally I love it!
I've seen UK spec saloon cars with factory vinyl roofs and I think it looks elegant. The colour contrast is beautiful. I may be biased because my series II car is greensand - very close to your paint! As a matter of fact - I just may consider following in your footsteps... :-)

Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge

Front.

Here ya go. Not bad I reckon. What are peoples thoughts? I think I'll chuck some white walls on the wheels and that'll bring it all together.
Better than white walls - gold stripe. That's what I'm doing. Typically for musclecars - corvettes specifically but it would really pop on our paint colour. Another company called 'Vogue' has a thin whitewall with gold stripe too. Look them up.

Attached Thumbnails How's this for an idea?-vogue.jpg   How's this for an idea?-gold_stripe_2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

That came out nice. Well done. Those tires will be a great fit for your color pattern now. Good find.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like what you did there.

Quick Reply: How's this for an idea?