XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Vanden Plas Owner and Dye Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New Vanden Plas Owner and Dye Question

Hello to all. I just recently acquired a 1986 Vanden Plas with 43K. Having purchased sight unseen, it was an enormous risk, however worked out fantastic.

I'm new to this car, but not to Jags. Previously, I had a 1999 XJ8 and 2004 XJ8. I also grew up in the car business and we dealt with quite a few Jags, both in sales and service. The first jag we had on the lot was a 1987 Vanden Plas in Bordeaux Red and even though that was over 20 years ago, I still daydream about that car! The first I ever sat in was a 1979 XJ6, and even though I was only about 15 years old, I set forth into convincing my father they were great and more importantly to him (we could make money selling them).

We did just that and sold quite a few. With all the bad press, I do have to say we really didn't have much trouble with them. Sure they required additional service than many other cars, but we were selling Alfas, Fiats, MGs, Saabs, Audis, and VWs, so high service vehicles were the norm. Frankly, we had less trouble with the Jags than all but our Japanese makes.

Anyway, I'm excited to be back in the game...and where I belong with a Series III, not that later "rubbish" :-).

To my other point, I think I would like to freshen my front seats with some dye. I use Leatherique almost exclusively on leather treatment, but Leather World Tech for my dyes. Amazingly durable and have a nice matte finish.

For those of you who have redyed, do any of you have a color code or name for our Vanden Plas leather?

THanks Again!!!
Doug

Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Good choice. Series IIIs are great cars.

Originally Posted by thedugger1
For those of you who have redyed, do any of you have a color code or name for our Vanden Plas leather?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. The VDPs used Connolly Autolux leather....but there wasn't just one color, if that's what you're thinking.

The most common on USA cars was, I think, called "Doeskin"

The color/trim code ....which is more reliable than my memory...should be in the engine bay or on the A-pillar---visible with the LH front door open.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Check for that 3 letter code as Doug mentions. I believe the VDP leather colors for a 1986 would either be doeskin (AEE trim code) or Magnolia (AEM).

Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 PM

Got it. The trim color I have is AEE, so Doe Skin it is. Let me know if any of you have a preferred supplier of that shade.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome Doug. I too back-dated to a Series III, in my case from a '97 X300. Definitely wasn't rubbish, brilliant car still missed! Anyhow, these old girls make for an interesting "journey" so have fun! (your low super-low mileage example sounds pretty special..)

Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

congrats on your purchase. We all would like to see pics.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM

Here's a few early pics from the seller. Wife doesn't like the color, however, I DO!! It's in remarkable condition. It's a repaint, very goood but not great, but it's a driver, so at least I won't panic in parking lots. Fortunately, it seems like just about everything is working as it should.

The only changes I'll make is a full top to bottom service of all belts, hoses, fluids, grease, etc. I also want to upgrade to the 1989 XJS steering wheel and perhaps a keyless entry. I've been spoiled by the German's and Swede's over the years and require a thicker wheel!

Other than that I have to address: painfully slow wipers, driver's mirror flopping in the wind, and passenger door that locks but doesn't unlock from the driver's key.

The following 2 users liked this post by thedugger1:
'05 Gold XJ8L VDP (09-17-2015), bdboyle (09-17-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Very nice!!!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Very nice.... Color and interior combo would not be my choice either, but, I could learn, quite easily!!!

My vote is keep it as it is and maintain it to the standard it is in now.

In my lexicon, steering wheels and keys not a big thing. But, to each is own....

Nice to see a vintage critter of any specie in such nice condition.

Carl

Old 08-30-2015, 09:50 AM

My mirror was doing the same thing. I got very lucky and inspected it with the old "eagle eye" and discovered that it just had to "pop" back into the little tabs and good as new.
So My 2 cents is to try and push it in hard. almost to the point of thinking your going to hurt it(but not beyond that) and it will litterally pop in. there are three popers and two of mine were not engaged.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks amaezing for the tip. That was exactly the problem. Popped back in and works like a champ. Any quick tips on the passenger door lock?

The following users liked this post:
Doug (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Got it. The trim color I have is AEE, so Doe Skin it is. Let me know if any of you have a preferred supplier of that shade.

Thanks!

I always use Surflex by Color Plus.

I'm sure others are as good but I've always just stayed with what I know

Looks like a cool old Series III. Good for you

Cheers
DD

Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That vdp interior looks to be in fabulous condition.

I like ColorPlus for leather dyes and softners
https://colorplus.com/index.php?s=Jaguar

Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Any quick tips on the passenger door lock?

More often than not partial operation can be turned into full operation by removing the trim panel and lubricating the lock rods and the innards of the door latch itself. Use whatever aerosol lube you like best.

For the latch assembly I always begin with a mild solvent (aerosol brake cleaner, WD40, or similar), generously sprayed, to rinse away caked-on gunk. After that has drip-dried go ahead with the aerosol lubricant. The latch innards are easy to reach once the trim panel is off.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Jag7651 (09-03-2015), LnrB (08-31-2015), thedugger1 (09-26-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks great. I like the paint color. Is that color antelope?

+1 on the 'sports' steering wheel from an 89 XJS. I made that swap on my car and love it. They come up on ebay.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 AM

I already ordered the wheel and believe I obtained it at a good price...under $100, but I guess we'll see what it looks like.

The color is antelope and I just love it. It's funny how my color preferences have changed over the years. For the longest time, I was all about RED cars. The first Jag my dad had was Bordeaux Red. My 2004 was Radiance Red. Now I dislike all red cars! I'm all about the more subdued hues, slate greys, silver, beige types. I guess I'm moving into my "old man" phase!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Here's a few early pics from the seller. Wife doesn't like the color, however, I DO!! It's in remarkable condition. It's a repaint, very goood but not great, but it's a driver, so at least I won't panic in parking lots. Fortunately, it seems like just about everything is working as it should.

The only changes I'll make is a full top to bottom service of all belts, hoses, fluids, grease, etc. I also want to upgrade to the 1989 XJS steering wheel and perhaps a keyless entry. I've been spoiled by the German's and Swede's over the years and require a thicker wheel!

Other than that I have to address: painfully slow wipers, driver's mirror flopping in the wind, and passenger door that locks but doesn't unlock from the driver's key.
How Pretty!!
(';')

Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Magnificent looking vehicle Doug. Good for you.
Gerard.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM

Added the XJS sport steering wheel yesterday Such a nice upgrade and thanks to the forum I learned about it!

Quick question, does anyone know if there is more than one shade of "doeskin" leather. I had some touch up dye sent and it's much darker than it should be. Just thought one of you might have some insight.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 PM

Added the XJS sport steering wheel yesterday Such a nice upgrade and thanks to the forum I learned about it!

Quick question, does anyone know if there is more than one shade of "doeskin" leather. I had some touch up dye sent and it's much darker than it should be. Just thought one of you might have some insight.
If it's new color it gonna be darker than original. Give it at least a couple weeks. Then re assess. You can lighten it easily, but don't atemp it for a couple weeks at a minimum. Give it some time to fade in the sun and weather.

Quick Reply: New Vanden Plas Owner and Dye Question