XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about map light

Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default question about map light

i am guessing its called a map light, its the one under the lip of the dash, anyhow, my question being is there a cover for the bulb? mine has none and is just a bulb in a holder.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Nope! No lens or cover

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Darrenmb (11-26-2014), Jag7651 (12-01-2014), S.Bunzel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

i just knew you would have the answer!!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

if you want more light output out of that silly black plastic bulb holder:

find aluminum or silver foil with a sticky back and cover the inside of the bulb holder with it. (try Joann's Fabrics, or Michael's Crafts).

same principle as putting a mirror behind a candle, the light output is magnified by about 60% or something like that. Think Amish.

In my S type, I glued a mirror behind the bulb and increased the power of the light by about 10 times because the larger the mirror, the more light is reflected.

Attached Thumbnails question about map light-14-map-lamp-mod.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (11-28-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,926 Likes on 5,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
if you want more light output out of that silly black plastic bulb holder:

find aluminum or silver foil with a sticky back and cover the inside of the bulb holder with it. (try Joann's Fabrics, or Michael's Crafts).

same principle as putting a mirror behind a candle, the light output is magnified by about 60% or something like that. Think Amish.

In my S type, I glued a mirror behind the bulb and increased the power of the light by about 10 times because the larger the mirror, the more light is reflected.
I wonder if a mirror would work for the pillar lights......
I think I'll add it to my list of modifications.
(';')

Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default LEDs would do the same thing

Increased light and less heat, especially in the interior lights with the plastic covers..

LnrB (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Increased light and less heat, especially in the interior lights with the plastic covers..
I have a supply of LEDs for things like the Opticell and Shift indicator, and I looked for LEDs that would work in the pillar fixtures. I can't find any the correct length. I'll keep looking.
(';')

Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since someone brought up LED lights... I have a friend that restores DeLoreans and recently converted the interior dash lights to LEDs which made the dash a lot brighter and easier to read. So... has anyone done this for a XJ6? and/or is it worth considering?

Also... I have been searching in vain to find replacement B-pillar light covers online and so am toying with the idea of making my own. Before I get into the nasty and laborious process of making molds and then finding the right mixture of plastic / acrylic for the new covers I thought I would inquire here in the forum. Any suggestions?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mkprator
Since someone brought up LED lights... I have a friend that restores DeLoreans and recently converted the interior dash lights to LEDs which made the dash a lot brighter and easier to read. So... has anyone done this for a XJ6? and/or is it worth considering?
LEDPACKAGES.COM is where I got mine. They have gazillions of different configurations that fit right into existing sockets.

Also... I have been searching in vain to find replacement B-pillar light covers online and so am toying with the idea of making my own. Before I get into the nasty and laborious process of making molds and then finding the right mixture of plastic / acrylic for the new covers I thought I would inquire here in the forum. Any suggestions?
The lenses are an odd shape and are in 2 pieces. I happened upon an undisturbed junker and took the lenses from that. I would think they would be very difficult to fabricate, but that isn't one of my strong points.
(';')

mkprator (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LEDs and B-pillar lens replacements

Thanks for the info about the LEDPACKAGES.COM site and I will check them out. I just wanted to be sure that switching to the LED wouldn't cause problems with my Lucas electrical system because suddenly the lighting voltage is much lower than what the system was designed for.

As for the B-pillar lens... I also "rescued" a pair from a junkyard donor but they were also pretty bad off (the heat in AZ makes all plastic very brittle) and i accidentally broke the "new" lens when I gently installed it. I realize they are odd shapes and right-left specific so I would need to make two molds. I would like to know if these lens were clear plastic or were they somewhat opaque to hide the inside the light. The replacement lens would still need to re-use the bottom plastic molded trip that helps blend the lens into the B-pillar trim.

Originally Posted by LnrB
LEDPACKAGES.COM is where I got mine. They have gazillions of different configurations that fit right into existing sockets.

The lenses are an odd shape and are in 2 pieces. I happened upon an undisturbed junker and took the lenses from that. I would think they would be very difficult to fabricate, but that isn't one of my strong points.
(';')

Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mkprator
Thanks for the info about the LEDPACKAGES.COM site and I will check them out. I just wanted to be sure that switching to the LED wouldn't cause problems with my Lucas electrical system because suddenly the lighting voltage is much lower than what the system was designed for.
The Prince will only thank you for using less voltage than the system was designed for.
As for the B-pillar lens... I also "rescued" a pair from a junkyard donor but they were also pretty bad off (the heat in AZ makes all plastic very brittle) and i accidentally broke the "new" lens when I gently installed it. I realize they are odd shapes and right-left specific so I would need to make two molds. I would like to know if these lens were clear plastic or were they somewhat opaque to hide the inside the light. The replacement lens would still need to re-use the bottom plastic molded trip that helps blend the lens into the B-pillar trim.
They are clear in the beginning, but have a diamond/cube pattern on the inside to help scatter light. That pattern also hides the lamp to a degree, but as the lamps are clear it matters little.
(';')

Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

someone has already done the homework, they sell LED conversions for XJ-6

v12s - Official Website

LnrB (11-29-2014)