XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ser III XJ6 to V12 project

Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts
Default Ser III XJ6 to V12 project

Thought I'd start a thread outlining my Jag project: taking a standard issue Series III XJ6 and swapping in a V12.

In the pics below you see the $1500 white 1985 XJ6 recipient car. Nice car, not perfect but better-than-typical cosmetics and interior, new headliner, working climate control, and a few other good features. I did discover a couple small rust problems so I shipped it of to the body shop to have those fixed.

Meanwhile.....

The other pic is the V12 engine a 400 trans coming out of the 1988 VDP donor car....which has already been stripped of all V12-related necessities plus anything usable and/or worthwhile...including some "VDP" style trim bits such as door panels, reading lamps, and such. The car came with a full set of refinished wood, including the VDP type dashboard. The motor runs just as sweet as can be but the body is rusted beyond any practical repair. The owner gave the car to me rather than send it to the scrapyard.

This a tight budget project. My goal is to have a great driving Series III V12 with a few upgrades for $8000 or less, all in. Anything that truly needs repair, replacement, or refurbishment will get it. Anything that doesn't, won't....with just a couple exceptions for things that are labor intensive once the car has been fully reassembled. The starter, for example.

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-150430_0001.jpg   Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-1985-xj6.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (05-05-2015), Jag7651 (05-06-2015), ronbros (02-06-2016), Sarc (05-05-2015), Series1fan (09-25-2015), warrjon (10-30-2015), XJeej (06-02-2016), yarpos (05-05-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,914 Likes on 5,278 Posts

I'll be watching for sure, Doug!
It will be nice to see how things *Should* be done by someone who knows.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

This looks like good project, I will follow with interest.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What it would be like to be able to work in a garage with a roof and all the right tools.

You can just drop the v12 into the 85 or do you have to make some MODS?

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wewillbfree

You can just drop the v12 into the 85 or do you have to make some MODS?
Near as I can tell no mods needed. It should be a 'bolt in'. However, there are many V12-specific parts for the installation. I hope I found them all because the donor car is off to the scrapyard soon!

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Slick:

Does that mean that the 85 gets a full engine bay detail job before the V12 goes in?
and, that the V12 gets sanitized before the install?

Or just a based clean up ala power wash?

And, mess with the heat cooked electrics of the V12 while it is out in the open.

Starters, oh yeah, I am sensitive to the things right now. My replacement was in Utah, yesterday. I'll check the tracking for it's whereabouts today. ETA via FEDEX, WC 5-7!!

A DIY of the V12's starter. Or do you have a local reliable auto electric shop to get a good rebuild. They are kind of a thing of the past.

We have an electric motor shop. Hmm, never thought of it. I wonder....
Family thing. Guys do the motor thing, gals operate a vacuum cleaner shop, side by side.

One of the rare places to get a simple V belt!!

What happens to the left over 4.2? Is it healthy and available to a Jag guy with a need? Not me.

Keep us posted, with pictures for vicarious enjoyment.

Carl

Old 05-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

The engine bay and the V12 engine itself will be fully prepped and detailed---that's half the fun !

All wiring and vacuum systems will be repaired/refurbished/replaced as needed, yes, along with fuel hoses.

Old 4.2 Jag engine is sufficiently worn out that I'll scrap it. I'll save externals for resale.

I have a great local starter and alternator rebuilder. He gets all my business. Much better than off-the-shelf rebuilds from the parts stores these days.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Hi Doug

Wonderful project to keep you busy and out of mischief ! Don't forget the front spring rates are different. Tyres are slightly wider, 215 instead of 205. Rear diff may be a different ratio. With both cars available, clearly you have all the bits you need.

But you know all this already !!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Near as I can tell no mods needed. It should be a 'bolt in'. However, there are many V12-specific parts for the installation. I hope I found them all because the donor car is off to the scrapyard soon!

Cheers
DD
Nothing required with the front end Doug? I thought (based on nothing but assumptions really) that the V12 would have beefier suspension and brakes. Are they all the same in reality?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

The only suspension difference is the front springs and the anti-roll bar.

I will buy new front springs because the ones on the donor car are rusty enough for me to feel a bit uncomfortable using them.

I have salvaged the larger "V12" front anti-roll bar.

Brakes are the same and rear suspension is the same....although I am adding a rear anti-roll bar from an XJS.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
yarpos (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Hi Doug

Wonderful project to keep you busy and out of mischief !

You got that right!

For one thing I had forgotten how much effort is required to non-destructively dismantle a car

Don't forget the front spring rates are different.

Got it !

Tyres are slightly wider, 215 instead of 205.

Actually the USA 6 cylinder cars got the 215 tires as well,,,,starting in '85 or so.

I'll be using some 215/65x15 Falken tires on XJS "Lattice" wheels.

My original plan was to use 16" wheels of some sort but I've always had a soft spot for the lattice wheels....which are virtually impossbile to find in the 16" size.

Rear diff may be a different ratio. With both cars available, clearly you have all the bits you need.

Both have the 2.88 ratio but I'll be using a 3.31 LSD from a mid-70s XJS

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Time to go to a one piece drive shaft? Or a simple rubber bock transmission mount?
And a GM alternator? Front and rear seals for the TH400? Shift kit for it?

Oops, if the donor car is a super rust bucket, new exhaust needed. from the parts bin or from a really good muffler shop. New tech cats, or none needed?

Any issues with your DMV and SMOG checks. Mismatched VIN's?????

Around here, big fuss as to engine switches... Latter into older generally OK. Reverse, not a chance.

Or is your state enlightened ?

Lattice wheels. Yeah! While whacking a chunk of my front "pasture", I admired mine on my car. Up on a jack and jackstands, in my driveway, awaiting FEDEX and the starter!! Kinda unJaguar like pose, but still durn good looking.

Carl

Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Time to go to a one piece drive shaft? Or a simple rubber bock transmission mount?

I'm kicking around both ideas. We'll see.

And a GM alternator?

This one has the 115 amp Bosch so I'll stick with it.

Front and rear seals for the TH400? Shift kit for it?

Not at this point, no. The trans shifts fine and has no leaks to speak of. I want to get the conversion done, get the car running and driving, and bugs sorted out.....then, if I'm pleased with the result, go back in with mods/upgrades, etc

Oops, if the donor car is a super rust bucket, new exhaust needed. from the parts bin or from a really good muffler shop. New tech cats, or none needed?
For the purposes of getting the car running and driving I will use the exhaust system from the donor car but, yeah, it's pretty well shot. I'll have something nice made up at the local muffler shop.

Any issues with your DMV and SMOG checks. Mismatched VIN's?????

Around here, big fuss as to engine switches... Latter into older generally OK. Reverse, not a chance.

Or is your state enlightened ?
I remember the California stuff from years ago (I left in 1994). Everybody dreaded getting their 'smog certificates'.....it can get pretty stressful !

Wayyyyy back in the day you could....ahem....cough cough.....always find a friend of a friend who had a cousin who married a guy who, for a few bucks, would....cough cough.....absolutely guarantee that you'd get a smog certificate, no questions asked. Ahhh, those glory days

In Washington it varies by county. In my neck o' the woods we have no 'smog checks' at all. In a year or so I am moving to Oregon....but the area I'm going to doesn't have smog checks either. But....who knows how long it'll stay that way. I won't be tossing any emissions parts in the trash bin

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2015, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,914 Likes on 5,278 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug;1223338[...

I remember the California stuff from years ago (I left in 1994). Everybody dreaded getting their 'smog certificates'.....it can get pretty stressful !

Wayyyyy back in the day you could....ahem....cough cough.....always find a friend of a friend who had a cousin who married a guy who, for a few bucks, would....cough cough.....absolutely guarantee that you'd get a smog certificate, no questions asked. Ahhh, those glory days

In Washington it varies by county. In my neck o' the woods we have no 'smog checks' at all. In a year or so I am moving to Oregon....but the area I'm going to doesn't have smog checks either. But....who knows how long it'll stay that way. I won't be tossing any emissions parts in the trash bin
Cheers
DD
We STILL dread SMOG test year, Doug! That's why Nix is currently on Planned Non Op status. I have No doubt she's pass just fine; the problem is getting her there!

The "Person" who sold her to us "Suggested (and I use that term loosely)" that we find a guy who would pass it for a $100 slipped surreptitiously on the side.

Even if we could bring ourselves to do that (which we couldn't), what about Next Time??? Who's to say that Tester won't be Caught (which Does happen) and Nix would have to pass a REAL test administered by an Honest tech with an Honest machine?

*IF* (and it's a bit IF) I wear out this engine (only has 76000 miles at the moment), I'll either replace it with the same engine (only less wear) or find a Conversion Expert who will Guarantee it passes the BAR the first time.
(';')

Old 05-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

The reporting systems....and stiff penalties.....make under-the-table dealings pretty difficult or even impossible these days....even IF a person was so inclined. From memory it was legislation nicknamed "Bar 90" that really upped the ante on this stuff.

I have no objection to emissions testing per se. But it should be 'tail pipe' tests only.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Doug,

Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing it.

Curious, what would have been the differences in the fuel system and emissions system in the SIII I6 vs a VDP V12? Other than the fuel lines at the engine, and the air injection system (which I understand did not come on the Canadian V12s).

Paul

Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
Doug,

Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing it.

Curious, what would have been the differences in the fuel system and emissions system in the SIII I6 vs a VDP V12? Other than the fuel lines at the engine,

Very little. As you say the fuel system is the same. And the vapor canister is the same (with different plumbing). Cat convertors on two banks of cylinders rather than a single bank.

and the air injection system (which I understand did not come on the Canadian V12s).

No, the Canadian cars did have the air injection....er....at least for 1988 model year like mine.

Everything looks the same as an USA-market '88 XJS V12 in terms of emissions equipment. However, I don't think it uses the idle enhancement or feedback inhibit relays. Still investigating that. They might be there but I just didn't recognize them as such.

I haven't been able to find much technical/specification literature on the later V12 Series III cars. I'll rely on XJS information until I get stuck....then I'll wing it

Cheers
DD

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

I haven't been able to find much technical/specification literature on the later V12 Series III cars. I'll rely on XJS information until I get stuck....then I'll wing it

Cheers
DD
nice project Doug. So I was scratching my head wondering why the service manual vacuum lines and emmissions diagrams don't match up with my 88 S3

Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Doug, How is the project going? I have one of the Canadian last 100 cars. Its number 19. But I have discovered that it is more rusty then I first thought. So, I am trying to decide if I want to deal with the rust repair needed. Or move all of this car to a donor body without rust.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for asking---I've been meaning to post an update.

Progressing slowly but surely. Work and home projects have slowed me a bit.

Within the next week or two I hope to have the car at the shop to remove the existing powertrain. Space is limited so, after that, it'll return home where I'll work on detailing the engine bay, install the V12 wiring harness, and a slew of other smaller tasks. The it'll go back to the shop for installation of the V12 engine and drivetrain, 3.31 differential, etc.

The V12 engine has been cleaned, new cam cover gaskets, starter and alternator rebuilt, throttle bushings installed, and so forth. The radiator has been treated to a professional boil-out and cleaning. I had the injectors professionally cleaned as well. The fuel rail is assembled with new hoses and he supply and return hoses have been redone as well.

As for the car itself I've been picking away at small projects: repairing the cowbells, new fuel hoses in the trunk, installing 7" headlights, repair door locks...things like that. The XJS lattice wheels have been stripped and repainted and new tires installed. Refinished interior wood is ready to install. Hopefully I'll have time to re-dye the leather in the next few days. Then the seats will be seat aside as installing the V12 wiring means pulling up the carpets. For fun I installed chrome speaker rings.

The nooks and crannies of my house are filled with parts that have been cleaned/repaired/repainted/reconditioned as needed. Once the engine is in place it should be fairly quick and easy to reassemble the bit and have it running.

A hundred-and-one small tasks. I just keep plugging away and checking them off the list

Cheers
DD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ser III XJ6 to V12 project