XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series I with AJ6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

as I now have a series 3 scrapper, I also used the series 3 injection tanks. This mean i also had to find a new pump, as I had welded the xj40 pump inside my old tank.

At this moment, I have the series 3 pump installed. I havent actually drive the car yet, but will this work?

Is the pressure right?

Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Wilfred88
Congradulations on your project you sure have put a lot of time and effort into it and looking good. The pump i used was from the earlier XJ40 with the external pump which was bolted to the subframe of the diff; The series 3 pump should do the job ok as they both put out about 48 to 50 psi.
Cheers Ray

Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the info!

I think it should be fine, using the series 3 fuel pump. The same 1 is used for the double six. So capacity should be high enough.

Annoying though, they don't just put the output on the thing, and also online many shops don't mention output.

Anyway, should be fine.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed?

Dear Mr Wilfred,

I myself have also quite some problems with my 4,2 XK engine. The only thing that keeps me of scrapping a XJ40 is that i don't know what problems i can encounter..

Could you maybe help me out with some of the technical stuf? Electronics, engine mounts. I am a mechanic so i do have some handy and helpful tools but i'me not sure if the swap is a piece of cake..

And i won't let the car go wasted because she is a piece of my family history. But to enjoy that she should be driving on the rooad instead of standing still in a workshop.

I hope you want to send me a reply.

Roy Swelsen

Old 03-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchXJ1978
Dear Mr Wilfred,

I myself have also quite some problems with my 4,2 XK engine. The only thing that keeps me of scrapping a XJ40 is that i don't know what problems i can encounter..

Could you maybe help me out with some of the technical stuf? Electronics, engine mounts. I am a mechanic so i do have some handy and helpful tools but i'me not sure if the swap is a piece of cake..

And i won't let the car go wasted because she is a piece of my family history. But to enjoy that she should be driving on the rooad instead of standing still in a workshop.

I hope you want to send me a reply.

Roy Swelsen
Roy,
Not to start a heated debate over lumps or anything, but have you considered a Chevy/Holden swap? They're much easier, very proven and a clean swap is a joy to drive. www.jaguarspecialties.com or JAQUAR V-8 CONVERSIONS. I have a Johns Cars v8 in my XJc, and a Johns Cars transmission conversion in my '86. Very happy with both. The v8 makes for a wonderful car, and now with the LSx motors so available even better! Just my 2c.
Bill

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (03-29-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 AM

Hey, of course I want te help you. First, let me address the remark by slofut. A v8 is a rare thing in the Netherlands. In America, it seems like the pave the streets with them, but over here they are crazy expensive. Aftermarket parts, the holden kit etc, all have to come from across the pond. totally not worth looking into that option when you live in the Lowlands.

Xj40's go dirt cheap. plus the aj6 or aj16 engines are far better and more refined engines than the chevy v8, which I assume are all stil carb fueld engines. It was designed, keeping in mind it could also turn out to be a diesel, making it a bulletproof block. I know FI upgrades can be made on the old v8's, but again those kits are not available here.

@ Roy: What questions do you exactly have? Get the engine mounts for the xjs. These allow you to fit the xj40 motor on the series 1/2/3 subframe. Fabricate a gearbox mount, and the engine is in. for the rest it is just wires and hoses that need to be connected. It is not that hard... Keep in touch if you want more info. Dont know where you live, but you can always come and visit me. I am in Groningen or Staphorst. Regularly at both places.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred88
Hey, of course I want te help you. First, let me address the remark by slofut. A v8 is a rare thing in the Netherlands. In America, it seems like the pave the streets with them, but over here they are crazy expensive. Aftermarket parts, the holden kit etc, all have to come from across the pond. totally not worth looking into that option when you live in the Lowlands.

Xj40's go dirt cheap. plus the aj6 or aj16 engines are far better and more refined engines than the chevy v8, which I assume are all stil carb fueld engines. It was designed, keeping in mind it could also turn out to be a diesel, making it a bulletproof block. I know FI upgrades can be made on the old v8's, but again those kits are not available here.

@ Roy: What questions do you exactly have? Get the engine mounts for the xjs. These allow you to fit the xj40 motor on the series 1/2/3 subframe. Fabricate a gearbox mount, and the engine is in. for the rest it is just wires and hoses that need to be connected. It is not that hard... Keep in touch if you want more info. Dont know where you live, but you can always come and visit me. I am in Groningen or Staphorst. Regularly at both places.
Point taken Wilfred.
Actually most GM v8's have been injected since the '80's. Since the late 90's the LSx generation small blocks are alloy block, direct injected engines with roller cams.

That's a moot point though if they're not common where you live. And I have nothing against a Jag v8 in an old XJ!
Bill

Last edited by slofut; 03-30-2015 at 07:37 AM.
ronbros (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

If the v8 has fuel injection as well, the aj6 is an even better option. Benefit of a carbie engine could be the huge decrease in wiring, but as v8 also has injection the wiring will be the same.

Placing the engine is very simple. Just get xjs engine mounts, and it bolts right in. Only thing that has to be made is a support for the transmission. I had to have the driveshaft shortened, which cost 50 euro.

I would replace steering rack as well. You can mount xj40 rack when you make some brackets, or get the xjs rack and use that. That's a straight bolt in again.

get the 3.6 engine, to save the wiring to the tranny. if you get the 4.0, as I did, the wiring is much more, but still doable.

@ slofut, to be honest. If I would do it again, I would definitely look for a supercharged v8, or a supercharged inline 6. If I can sell my series 1 at reasonable price, I wanna start again, using an even more modern and powerfull engine. STill, got 265 bhp at the moment which is enough for now. I can do burnouts, what more do you want...?

Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In another forum, a fellow somewhere in the Netherlands area did a lot with XJ40 engines in older Jaguars. Arnoud as I recall. Last I read, he went to the south of France. that engine is certainly a more refined lump than the ancient XK, but more than the iconic SBC?

And, a decade or so ago, a local mechanic did most of the transformation. result, a running and driveable car. but, amass of electrics ion the passenger seat. Destination not determined. Oh, and getting past CA's nutty SMOG laws probably deterred him from a finish.

How about a mid 90's or later entire car from an American service man stationed in nearby Germany. But, the kit would have to come from the USA. Although, it is possible to DIY it.

The LT1 in my car is the ultimate iron SBC. Weighs 100 pounds less than the XK. Od transmission. Kinda ancient at 4 speeds only, but lots better than the heavy 3 speed BW66. Redlined at 5000 rpm. 260 Hp at 5K. 330 3's of torque at 3K. It is the latter that makes it so driveable.

Lucas vs GM electrics are at an issue now. work to find and fix in progress.

English elegance with an Italian flair and dependable American power. Pretty good...

Carl
omate iron

ronbros (04-03-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 AM

I tried to contact Arnoud when I started my conversion, but no luck. He doesn't respond, even when I am sure he gets the messages. Maybe he got too many people askin for information.... Cause I have had many questions over the last year myself too, regarding the conversion.

Unfortunately I don't know that much about modern american v8 engines to say which is best. American cars in general, I dont like that much. but the engines might be fine.

For the Netherlands, aj6 is the cheapest. you could also contact Stenger Jaguar in Almelo. They started a company on making jaguar conversions. xj6 pickups, ABS kits for series 1 and 2. AJ6 engine conversions etc. They are expensive though...

Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wilfred88
If the v8 has fuel injection as well, the aj6 is an even better option. Benefit of a carbie engine could be the huge decrease in wiring, but as v8 also has injection the wiring will be the same.
Placing the engine is very simple. Just get xjs engine mounts, and it bolts right in. Only thing that has to be made is a support for the transmission. I had to have the driveshaft shortened, which cost 50 euro.
I would replace steering rack as well. You can mount xj40 rack when you make some brackets, or get the xjs rack and use that. That's a straight bolt in again.
get the 3.6 engine, to save the wiring to the tranny. if you get the 4.0, as I did, the wiring is much more, but still doable.
@ slofut, to be honest. If I would do it again, I would definitely look for a supercharged v8, or a supercharged inline 6. If I can sell my series 1 at reasonable price, I wanna start again, using an even more modern and powerfull engine. STill, got 265 bhp at the moment which is enough for now. I can do burnouts, what more do you want...?
Hey, this has me thinking. I was on the fence about putting a six back in my xjc, with a 5spd stick and triple su's. But a supercharged 4.0 with a 5 or 6 speed manual? ...Hmmm

Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Wilfred, slofut, JagCad, Roy and all the rest

Heated debates over lumps is fun so I give my personal opinion on the matter. Apologize for poor english writing. If incomprehensible, blame it on the Google translate program.

I very much agree with Wilfred. Here in Europe (I live in Sweden) is the supply of American engines sparse. The gen II and III sm Chevys are ridiculously overpriced. The all iron gen I from a van or something can be found for reasonable prices but would in most cases need it´s second or, if possible, third total rebuild. Would probably not be much joy anyhow with a 200 hp, low comp smog engine so you would certainly have to add the usual accessories, cam, intake, carb, headers etc. Not very much bang for the buck.

A better route is of course to use what is readily available here in Europe. With the use of some stand alone ECU, for example the very affordable Megasquirt, you could pick almost any engine of your liking, at least if it is with manual transmission. If you prefer autos things may be little more complicated but sure doable. Should not be too hard to, for example, fabricate some adaptor plate and use the still quite common pre-electronic r700 trans behind a six or V8 from Jaguar, Audi, BMW or whatever.
For price references, a link to a common car breaker: Bildelsbasen.se - Used auto / car parts

And, not to forget, the old XK engine is not that bad. If not too worn and for something special you could always add an Eaton M90 or similar to it. Megasquirt and s3 intake, some modest pulley ratio. Could be much fun for a low price.

Wilfred, job well done, project and thread. I have uploaded some pics of my 1970 s1 to the gallery, could maybe be of some interest.

And good luck with your next project!

Best Regards
Jan

Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Jan, thanks for your input to Wilfred's thread. It's not just a case of not having access to cheap SBC. Some people just want to do things a little different.

I've had a quick look at your gallery pictures and the AJ16S conversion looks great. AJ6/16 engines have huge potential. I've been looking at several different engines other than SBC or LSx for no other reason than to be a bit different. One of my favourites so far is Nissan's VH45DE 4.5L, 4 Valve Head, 6 bolt mains, it too has great potential, but not much after market support (a big plus for the Chev).

Another engine that I like and is a complete monster is the Australia only Ford Barra 4.0L I6 Turbo. With some Valve Springs, Injectors and a reflashed OE ECU, these engines can put out 370kw (500 ponies) all day long!

You pays your money and takes yours choice....

Old 04-05-2015, 07:11 PM

Hi thought i would put these photos up of a series 2 i done 12 years ago with a AJ16 engine and 4spd ZF hp22 gear box i have posted these before about 18 monthes ago but new members to the forum have not seen before.

I am a big fan of the AJ6 and AJ16 engines very reliable and bullet proof.
Also as Woznaldo sugests the Barra 4.0 XR6 turbo is an awsome engine i do own in my collection a 2005falcon BF XR6 Turbo but i think these are only Australian and NewZealand.
Cheers Ray

Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Sorry misprint its an AJ6 not AJ16
Cheers Ray

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 AM

You did a nice conversion Ray, clean work.

My engine bay is looking way better at the moment, compared to the last pictures that are in this thread. Same goes for interior. First I got it running, now I am making improvements all the time, just to make it neat. Will get some pics if I think of it.

I had a 94 AJ6 engine, which have only electrical fans. gives less noise and no visible moving parts. I choose the 4hp24 transmission, and love it cause it has sport mode. It is in sport mode almost all the time. Just gives more revs but makes it a more sporty drive.

Lately, there have been no issues whatsoever. It is my daily drive, and it just runs great. Always starts, never skips a beat. The engine really is perfect, but just for increased performance, the next one would have to be a supercharged. Also to challenge myself a bit more, cause I never worked with superchargers.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 AM

I did'nt have an hp24 at the time but have driven a4.0 litre XJ40 with one and the sport mode is certainly a good option. I picked up a 4.0litre supercharged motor from a farmer up country just before Xmas' so im am pondering wether to put it in my series 2 coupe or the 1976XJS cabolet that i am currently restoring i have a 5speed getrag 290 manual box to go with it. im thinking towards the XjS as it came withe no motor
Cheers Ray

Old 04-07-2015, 03:13 AM

So you have the v8 supercharged, or the aj16 supercharged? Or another 4.0 supercharged?
I whish I had engines 'just laying around...'

here is a frustrating thread of a dude who started with an aj16 supercharged, but never got it running. Then turned to aj6 with 2hp22, which also didn't work and his car ended as scrapper. Gone now. Sad story. I still can't figure out why it would be so hard to get the supercharged running. I think it is because he only had the engine, and not a complete car as I did. Wiring is what got him.
1973 S1 XJ6 aka "Ropey" - XJ40

Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 AM

It is the AJ16 which are difficult to wire in unless you have the ECUand complete wiring harness which i have ; unless you use an after market computer system like here in NewZealand the link computer which i believe once set up you can tune and dial in on a laptop.

ronbros (04-08-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by on edge
I did'nt have an hp24 at the time but have driven a4.0 litre XJ40 with one and the sport mode is certainly a good option. I picked up a 4.0litre supercharged motor from a farmer up country just before Xmas' so im am pondering wether to put it in my series 2 coupe or the 1976XJS cabolet that i am currently restoring i have a 5speed getrag 290 manual box to go with it. im thinking towards the XjS as it came withe no motor
Cheers Ray
The xjc is so rare nowadays that it's probably best to keep it stock. If they were more common it would be soooo tempting!

Quick Reply: Series I with AJ6 engine