Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What IS Acceptable play in wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What IS Acceptable play in wheels

Hi all,

I have finally taking the old Diam for a WOF (NZs version of a MOT), everything passed the checks but he wasn't happy with the amount of play in the wheels.

So I've lifted and tested them all and found they all seem to have a fairly similar play in the 12 and 6 oclock position, most movement seems to be in the top of the wheel, and pretty much none in the 9 and 3 position.

Next step, I called the local Jag dealership, (I like to keep the work and the WOF check in separate businesses) The jag dealership said, as they usually do, that the guy doesn't know how much play that they are allowed to have and that there is a chance that they are within spec, so I've booked them in to check them out.

I have also had my x300 be failed for the same reason, excess play in the rear wheels, which turned out to be within spec too.

So the question remains, just how much play in the 12 and 6 position is within spec here?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

The Jaguar ROM calls for .005" "end float" on the rear hub bearings....this measured by levering the hub inward-outward. But this in-out measurement is not quite the same as 'free play' you'd feel by rocking the wheel as you describe. I'm not aware of an actual spec for that but, personally, if forced to answer, I'd go with a range of "none to barely perceptible". How's that for precision?

For an X300 you really shouldn't feel anything as the specification calls for a couple thou "pre load" on the bearings. That is, less than zero clearance.

But "specification" and what's tolerable in the real world are two different things. I've worked on numerous Jags that had palpable play in the rear wheels with no bearing noise or obvious effect on driving behavior. My present Series III has no perceptible free play. My previous Series III did.

A month's pay say that MOT inspectors use the "gut feeling" specification. They know when a wheel feels loose enough to present a significant problem or risk ....and that's what really counts.

Also remember that, often as not, a loose suspension component is confused with a loose hub bearing. That is, the free play felt when rocking the wheel is actually movement of something other than the bearings...such as a hub carrier fulcrum shaft.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

That's just the type of precision I like thanks Doug, Yea I do think that the gut feeling that the WOF/MOT guy has is pretty good, I'm hoping the Jag dealership can tighten them up, or if I need new bearings so be it.

Most of the bushings are new in the suspension but there are a couple that could cause the play that I can found.

Thanks again Doug, my old Daim wouldn't be any where near this state of completion with out all your help on this forum!