XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper park problem

Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper park problem

Hi,

it is very often problem with Jags - wiper doesn't park when stalk is turned to off position. Usually the problem should be with stalk switch - but:

I've changed first the park switch on the wiper motor - the problem remained the same. After few days things even got worse.

Now when stalk is moved to intermittent position wipers are moving - flinching somehow their way... like every two seconds for a one or two centimetres...

I put complete new stalk switch - again nothing has changed.. Any idea what could be wrong?

All references says that the most certain reason for wiper problems is stalk switch. I got new one - even park switch on the motor is new...(???).

I am thinking that it could be wiper delay relay, located near fuse box on the passenger side...

Any experience on that?

Cene

Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Default RE: wiper park problem

Cene, it is probably the Motor Brushes that are worn out. You need to remove the motor, open it up, and check the three Brushes (made of Carbon, mounted on springs); If they are worn, then you need to get a new Brush Plate that comes with new brushes, hard to locate.

Jose

Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Jose,

thanks for that - that seems quite complicated... I mean - I don't think that I will be able to do that.

I have located the delay relay - it clicks and wipers move - are you sure that it's not a problem with electronic?

Wiper motor works OK with both speeds - just park and intermittent functions are problem.

I just hope that relay is the problem and not the motor... you said hard to locate; you meant just that part, did you?

I'll be in touch...

cene

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Jose,

could you check that:

http://www.jdht.com/webapp/wcs/store...category=22837

The part of motor you had in mind has no number, does it..? That means one must buy complete new one...

Cene

Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Cene,

exactly, there is no number shown in the drawing, it is the part with 3 wires, (yellow/blue/red) which connect to the Park Switch Terminals at the motor.

I do not think it is the Delay Relay at all, they never go bad. They either work or not. It seems that yours is working. But of course I can't be 100% sure, it's like trying to repair a car over the phone, it never works.

Try this:

1) remove the upper and lower black plastic covers (Nacelles), behind the steering wheel; Screws are underneath the lower cover. Be careful, they are easy to crack when removing them. You might loosen the 2 screws under the ignition switch surround/cover, and under the headlights switch surround/cover to remove them and make room for the upper cover ends to come out.

2) try to get your hand behind the Wiper Switch, where the wires enter the switch, there are about5 square openings, each one has a wire going into it;

3) take a plastic Toothpick and insert it in the square openings, over and under each wire;
(Keep the engine running and the windshield wet, so there is no drag on the wipers).

4) keep doing this to all the wires until you find the wire that controls the PARK, so that by wedging the wire with the toothpick, you get a response, i.e., the wipers finally PARK.Then you found the problem, the wiper switch contacts inside are worn. (But I think you installed a new switch?). If no response at all when doing this, then it is either the PARK SWITCH located at the MOTOR, (a known problem), or the BUSHES inside the motor are worn. The only way to check the Bushes is to open the wiper motor, which is not that difficult, but if you have never done it before, I would not mess with it because putting it back takes a lot of steps and electrical knowledge.

Jose

Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Jose,

thank you again for your help - does that part fit to XJ12 1992, too? It says "STYLE XJS 82 89"..

If so, I'll order it and drive the car to mechanic... and print him your text..

What is bothering me is that:

I've replaced park switch on the motor after for few months wipers didn't park. But they allways did park when I applied intermittent mode with the stalk. Nothing happened with new park switch (didn't park, except in intermittent mode) so I said to myself - OK, it must be stalk switch.

After few days with new park switch (and old stalk switch) suddenly in the intermittent mode wipers start to jerk all the way up and down - in a symmetrical fashion - as the relay clicks the wipers move. That remained even after I installed a new stalk switch.

What I am thinking is: is it just a coincidence that jerking in the intermittent mode started just days after I replace park switch - I mean before I changed the park switch I had no problem with that jerking... I have bad feeling because I took the old switch from the motor with quite brutal force.. I didn't know that you must first pull it up and then out.. part of the old switch broke - I am worried that it fell into the motor... and that little part started to cause problems later on.

What do you think? How do you check whether the park switch does work properly? What does that park switch actually do? Does it have any mechanical function - or just electronical? If some part of the old switch did fell into the motor, it might block the contact with the park switch..

I really don't know - it might be a coincidence, but you never know..

Thanks, Jose

Cene

Old 04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Cene,
difficult to diagnose. Based on what you say, you may have screwed something at the park switch mounting in the motor by using brutal force. Now you need to remove and open the wiper motor, check it, and thenbench-test it, no ifs and buts about it. You had to do it anyway to check the Brushes, so now you can kill two birds with one shot.

Contact Ken at Motorcars Ltd. to confirm the Brush Plate will fit the XJ-6/12. They all look alike to me.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:37 PM

you are right - I don't really believe in coincidences; my guess is that the reason for park problem is separate one and has to do with Brushes, as you wrote (and not stalk switch as it seems) and "new" problem is connected to my way of changing of the park switch.

As you suggested - the motor has to be removed anyway - when doing that it is perfect time to change the brush plate, too..

First I will (properly) remove new park switch from the motor to see if any part of previous one is seen somewhere inside. If that won't work I will order the Brush Plate and drive the car to the mechanic...

He will be for sure astonished over my theoretical knowledge and instructions what to do... , thanks to you..

Many thanks for your help - I am really glad that you took your time for helping me!

Cene

Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Cene:

you might order a new or rebuilt motor if you can afford it. I think Motorcars has salvage parts. Ask Ken. In my experience with my 1984 XJ-6, it is not worth messing with the Park Switch at the motor. Once youdamage it, it is never the same. I ended up replacing the motor with one I got from a salvage yard for $50. and the problem dissapeared.

Removing the motor is easy:

First disconnect and then remove the battery from the car, then remove the two 7/16 or 11mm bolts holding the bracket that holds the motor in place; Then undo the large nut that holds the cable assembly to the motor. Then remove thefour 8mm bolts holding the plate over the cable end and withdraw the cable from the gear arm Pin. Very greasy job. Then remove the wire harness plug.

If you want to improve the Speeds and torque of your wipers, there is a modification available. See the following page: http://tinyurl.com/6y2bok

My complaint has always been that the XJ-6 wipers are very "lazy", and they cannot keep up with the "monsoon" rain showers we get in Florida. It is embarrasing that such a supercar has such alame wiper system.The wiper speeds in my '65 Jaguar S type are a lot better than inmy XJ-6.I plan to do the mod above which entails adding3 Relays. The problem has always been that the Stalk Switch in Left Hand Drive cars is too far away from the wiper motor, so a lot of volts are lost in thelong wiring from the switch to the motor. (that's what the experts say), becausethe wiper system was designed for Right Hand Drive cars.

Jose

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 AM

Jose,

I will try to look at it first - anyway I will probably have to buy another one, so no damage can be done..

It just might be that little part of plastic switch is somewhere in.. and causing problem.

So - when removing the motor you don't need to remove also the system that connects motor to the wipers - I guess it must be kind of wire, like between electric antenna and motor - but antennna and the motor cannot be separated.

I just need to find the right one - I don't know whether the motor for XJ 6 is the same - in XJ12 it stands on the paseenger side right in the corner.

Yes, they are lazy indeed... and true; with so many wires going around and around your explanation seems to be right one.

I will keep you informed about results

See you,

Cene

Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Jose,

couldn't help myself - today after I came home I started to check it again - first I have removed park switch and install it again - after that I just left the wipers on intermittent mode and started to shake a little around the motor.

The wipers once moved properly! It was the harness that comes to park switch from the cabin - about 30 centimetres of wires between two connectors (part Nr. DAC 4105) - when I hold wires at certain position it works and goes to park position, too!!

I think bad connection is not in wires but in the connector that comes to park switch - anyway, the problem seems to be solved now...

I am just worried that DAC4105 (labeled: wiper motor harness) will not be so easy to find...

Just to let you know over that - and thank you once again for your help!

Cene

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The part is no longer available. Try a local electrical shop and see if the can remake what you have there. I've got used ones, but to be honest, they are crap.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Ken,

quite right - DAC4105 is one of the non-existing parts ... I did find one in Germany. I'll see what will come by mail.

I think the problem is at the end of the harness - on the connector that goes to the park switch. I think that connector is sealed and couldn't be opened - right?

Cene

Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It has one funky connector on it.