XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work getting done on the v8 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Work getting done on the v8 Conversion

Started out with an 86 xj6. It now a 520hp 502ft/tq 645 with nitrous 383 stroker 700 r4-soon to be rebuilt. fronted was removed completely sandblasted and rebuilt with everything new. Rear end was completely rebuilt sand blasted re geared with 373 gears and a possi.Everything was chassis saver paint. engine compartment was sanded down and also painted with chassis saver. Race star industries wheels 17x7 up front and 18x8.5 in the rear.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Lot of HP from a 383? Engine dyno specs or guesstimate?

Wow, lots of power... the HP from running on a engine dyno?

Like the added color on the accessories... what are the slanted things on the fan shroud?

Need more info... looks like TBI?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Wow, lots of power... the HP from running on a engine dyno?
Yes hp from an engine dyno

Like the added color on the accessories... what are the slanted things on the fan shroud?
They are simply just pieces of rubber actually from the the stock fan shroud. They are there to let additional air flow get through the rad while driving.

Need more info... looks like TBI?
It's actually a carb right now. I have a fitech efi on order and I am supposed to have it the first week of June. They are on back order.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default I understand the back order..

They had to redo their throttle linkage... Bow Tie Overdrives is making it for them... hope it supports your 700R TV cable well now?

I investigated them, but no track record... lots of promises... went with FAST/Comp Cam EZ-EFI 2.0... it works perfectly for more money...

Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM

They had to redo their throttle linkage... Bow Tie Overdrives is making it for them... hope it supports your 700R TV cable well now?
They are using quick fuel tech linkage which is a Holly design

I investigated them, but no track record... lots of promises... went with FAST/Comp Cam EZ-EFI 2.0... it works perfectly for more money...
I know they are new but I know a lot of people at pace performance and they have done extensive testing and they love them. So I figured I give them a try.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Does the pictured air filter clear the standard hood or are you modifying to suit?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't mean to hi jack thread but I did quite a bit of research trying to find an air filter box and came across the one from a Caprice from around 1991. Here is a picture of one (not my car - but it is the one I saw initially) and is what I have on my car now. I did find a pic of mine (with bonnet off) so I included it.

Attached Thumbnails Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-mod1.jpg   Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-1971-jaguar-xj6-engine.jpeg  

Last edited by alynmurray; 05-20-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default I had the same air cleaner on my car and it cleared the hood

But, with the new TBI the top air cleaner was hitting since I could no longer run a drop bottom piece for the air cleaner due to the fuel lines being so high now... without the drop bottom air cleaner piece cutting the hood would have been needed.

I have since changed my radiator support to allow for a custom made carbon fiber air box that is being made right now. The picture shows the plenum cap in place with a blob of rubbing compound on the blue tape to show the hood clearance.

In the interim I have a shorter air cleaner filter on the car...shown in the other photo.

Attached Thumbnails Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-drivers-side-air-cleaner.jpg   Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-all-done-weather-stripping-.jpg   Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-imag1970.jpg   Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-imag1971.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-21-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added photo of shorter air cleaner for clarity
Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Does the pictured air filter clear the standard hood or are you modifying to suit?
Yes I did have to cut out the hood cross member to clear that cleaner.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Yes I did have to cut the hood cross member to fit that cleaner. I cut it out the tried the edges with bushwaker fender flare trim.

The following users liked this post:
yarpos (05-22-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Couple pics of the exhaust. I don't have any of the rear section on my phone and I will get them when I get home Sunday evening. The rear section is run under the IRS. The whole thing is 2.5". Love the electric cutouts!

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Default Air conditioning

But, with the new TBI the top air cleaner was hitting... I have since changed my radiator support to allow for a custom made carbon fiber air box that is being made right now. In the interim I have
a shorter air cleaner filter on the car...
Rodgers everything looks great in those pics. I was wondering and I am going to tackle this soon....air conditioning. What all are u using in the system? I have the stock condenser then the stock dryer. I then have a new pump that came with my front end pull setup. The I have the stock evaporator coil in the car. Also the stock expansion valve at the fire wall area. I was going to buy a kit to make hoses my self. But I was unsure on the hose sizes on that expansion valve and the evap coil and dryer. I know the fittings on the pump are -6 and -8.

I attached the image because that is what I was going to do. Of course I would put the high pressure switch in the hose along with the low and high side ports.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Default My car has R134 and AC/heat has been heavily modified

Get rid of the Jaguar condenser and go to a modern efficient style - largest that will fit.. my expansion valve was changed and converted to one that is setup for use with R134... all the Jaguar valves are not properly adjusted for the new stuff. There is a screw inside the Jaguar valve that can be adjusted but it is hit or miss.

My AC shop made the custom hoses...due to the AC compressor location one hose has to go around the front of the engine and lay on the front cross member... properly insulated/covered and tied down.

I have changed the AC/heat fans for GM fans and am using metal directional cages... the heater was converted to the Vintage Air Servo... a motor is used to open and close the water flow and no vacuum lines. It works WELL. I do have dual Ford Probe fans with a manual temp control and used a Trinary valve on the AC.. the B&M trans cooler is shown in front of the AC condenser. plus the sides and top of the radiator has been blocked up with dense AC foam to fill all the openings and direct all the incoming air through the condenser and into the radiator. Note how short the original radiator support used to be before adding the new height for
cold air intake system.

It all works perfectly with vent temps around 39-42F depending on the outside air temp. I have added two additional inside air vents that blow onto the front passengers - S1 came with no center vents.

Attached Thumbnails Work getting done on the v8 Conversion-ac-condenser-drier-trans-cooler-before-hood-.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Good stuff/advice regarding the A/C bits and pieces .

Here in Seattle A/C is not so important , but to keep the Jaguar climate control system working properly as a system, the A/C has to be operating properly as well,... I don't know a darn thing about A/C so I am gleaning every thing I can about A/C in a Jaguar lump,..thanks for the info Roger.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:07 AM
Default Under slung rear exhaust section

Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

*THAT* is Nice!
I'm Envious! Mine is a hack job!
(';')

Old 05-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, it sure is slick.

Mine is decent, but somewhat budget driven!!!

Picky, picky, is the lower edge of that valence
really that "lacey" ?

Nice work, lot of effort, but rewarding, huh?

Carl

Old 05-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, it sure is slick.

Mine is decent, but somewhat budget driven!!!

Picky, picky, is the lower edge of that valence
really that "lacey" ?

Nice work, lot of effort, but rewarding, huh?

Carl
Ya. ...it needs paint and body work. Maybe this winters project

Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Very nice build.

Padre

Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Default Bumper tuck

Got around to doin my bumpers.

I did this different than just drilling it and removing all the plastic stuff inside. I actually cut the mount off off 2 inches and moved it back and also in the process i removed all the plastic stuff.

Front is done but i can get it more....i actually hadnit in about another inch. When i do it hits the plastic filler piece and makes the chrome to push up a little so i am going to trim off the filler piece. I also had to make relief cuts in thentop of the bumper for the hood hinges to slide through and also had to cut the frame of the bumper ever so slightly for the bigger part of the 5mph shock to fit into the bumper.

Quick Reply: Work getting done on the v8 Conversion