XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Default XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?

I'm tired of the 15" wheels on my car. The tires are shot, and rather than buy new 15's, I want to move up to a 16" or 17". I want to use a Jaguar OEM rim.

Can anyone make broad sweeping statements about wheel fitment for the SIII XJ6 cars WRT other Jaguars? For instance, do all XJ40 wheels fit the SIII's? How about X300 wheels?

From what I understand, the bolt pattern is the same in XJ sedans up through 2003. However, the thing I am most concerned about is the hub fitment - particularly the front hub and bearing cap. I am pretty sure that the offsets are close enough to accommodate reasonable tires.

On a side note, I tried an XK8 Lamina wheel on my SIII. On the rear, the tire hugged the fender lip a little too close. The front would not seat on the hub because of the bearing cap - the hole in the wheel was either too short, too shallow, or both.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

With respect to hub/center hole diameter and bolt pattern.....

I think it's safe to say that any of the XJS wheels will fit

I've seen X300 wheels on Ser IIIs so it's apparently doable...and without any mods as far as I know.

XJ40 wheels should be OK, too, except I *think* early XJ40 wheels mighthave a cneter cap-to-wheel bearing dust cover interference. I think Jose has XJ40 wheels on his so he'll know.

I have X308 (1998-2003 sedan) wheels on my X300 (1995-1997 sedan) and had to "massage" the wheel bearing dust caps a bit. The same would probbaly be needed if you used them on a Ser III.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Just be aware that going to a large wheel diameter means a lower profile tyre, so you will lose a lot of tyre wall flexibility and hence lose a lot of the 'boulevard ride' you are used to. Of course if you don't like this famous Jaguar feature, go ahead. I think the XJ40 wheels bolt straight on, but Doug knows much more than me on this.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Fastkat, I know you followed my link on putting TSW's Beyern Multi's on my car and you wouldn't have to do the center bore machining like I did, however TSW does make their Coventry line for Jags. This was the only option I found but they start at 17" Whitley(15 spoke) or Hornet(5 spoke) 17X8 with 5X120.65 73.9c/b +25offset. That should work, although maybe the dust cap issue would still exist on the front that Doug was talking about.

Doug, I'm curious about the "massage" of the wheel bearing dust cap as I have that trouble with mine and I'm wondering what options I have, haven't spent the time to even take it off yet. ie can it be flattened/covered or replaced by a flatter one, or purchase a chrome one to replace it instead.

Fraser, I must say that in putting 18" on my car, I didn't experience any degredation to the "boulevard" ride at all which I love, so much so that my wife said it was the most comfortable drive she had ever experienced.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daryl
Doug, I'm curious about the "massage" of the wheel bearing dust cap as I have that trouble with mine and I'm wondering what options I have, haven't spent the time to even take it off yet. ie can it be flattened/covered or replaced by a flatter one, or purchase a chrome one to replace it instead.

Yes, flattened a bit

Cheers
DD

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl
Hi Fastkat, I know you followed my link on putting TSW's Beyern Multi's on my car and you wouldn't have to do the center bore machining like I did, however TSW does make their Coventry line for Jags. This was the only option I found but they start at 17" Whitley(15 spoke) or Hornet(5 spoke) 17X8 with 5X120.65 73.9c/b +25offset. That should work, although maybe the dust cap issue would still exist on the front that Doug was talking about.
Yea, your experience & fitment info was great and confirms a little bit of what I've learned by trial and error. I don't think a 25 offset will work on the rear though. On my car anyway, I needed more offset on the rear, not less offset. Something around 35-40 with a 17" wheel and wide tire would be much better.

However, I really want to stick to original Jaguar wheels. I think a lot of the styles fit the character of the car and they are readily available.

Originally Posted by Doug
With respect to hub/center hole diameter and bolt pattern.....

I think it's safe to say that any of the XJS wheels will fit

I've seen X300 wheels on Ser IIIs so it's apparently doable...and without any mods as far as I know.

XJ40 wheels should be OK, too, except I *think* early XJ40 wheels mighthave a cneter cap-to-wheel bearing dust cover interference. I think Jose has XJ40 wheels on his so he'll know.

I have X308 (1998-2003 sedan) wheels on my X300 (1995-1997 sedan) and had to "massage" the wheel bearing dust caps a bit. The same would probbaly be needed if you used them on a Ser III.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug. That's a good point. The XJS shared the same front and rear hubs as the XJ6. They almost have to fit.

Do the XJ40s have the same long front hub as the XJ6 SIII and the XJS?

Regarding the X300 and X308 cars, I was looking at some wheel fitment information and there is a distinct separation between 1997 and 1998. That was the break between X300 and X308, right?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 AM

I know it's been a while but I finally got my wheel / tire / suspension sorted out. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a better picture before I tore the car apart this weekend for a new engine. I do have this one picture.

I settled on a set of 16x7" wheels from a 1997 XJ6. I think these wheels also came on some late XJS cars. I had them powder coated metallic silver. I went with Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport summer tires in 225/55-16. The car also has SBC 350 King lowering springs which lower the car about 1.25". The aluminum LS1 engine w/aluminum heads is over 100 lbs lighter than an all cast iron SBC. I installed the front springs with one nylon shim under each spring and I think it turned out really well.

The car handles and rides pretty darn good. It's very responsive and loves steering into turns!

I recently updated my website, including details on my new engine build.
Dave's Jaguar XJ6 LS1 Swap

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-img_3928.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by FastKat:
Jahmiata (10-22-2020), PCB73 (08-31-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Good choice on the wheels, IMHO.

Do you have part numbers on the King springs?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

yes I have 15" XJ-40 Teardrop wheels in my '84, the fit and clearance at the rear is perfect, but at the front I had to install Spacers (7/16" thick if I remember), because otherwise the "hubcaps" would not "sit" due to the wheel bearings dust cap.

for me the issue with larger wheels is that you end up with less tire wall height and therefore the ride becomes harsher. But if you don't mind that, then you can fit most any modern wheel.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-xj40-chromed-teardrop-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 06-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys.

I bought the King springs off eBay. They shipped from Australia. The part numbers are KJFL-05 for the front and KJRL-03 for the rear.

Those are nice wheels, too!

Having less sidewall really suits me well. I wanted the car to have a sportier and more connected feel. The big sidewalls comparatively made the car feel floaty and that's just not me. I imagine a 255/60-16 would have worked well, too. That would have offered a little more sidewall (good or bad, depending on your preference) but the actual tread width would have been a little smaller.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
yes I have 15" XJ-40 Teardrop wheels in my '84, the fit and clearance at the rear is perfect, but at the front I had to install Spacers (7/16" thick if I remember), because otherwise the "hubcaps" would not "sit" due to the wheel bearings dust cap.

for me the issue with larger wheels is that you end up with less tire wall height and therefore the ride becomes harsher. But if you don't mind that, then you can fit most any modern wheel.
*Nice* wheels, Jose!
Of course I'm a little partial to those. :-D
(';')

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Three points:

1. New to me refurb'd Dell with W& works so much better. The old dell is now relegated to backup status. The Acer is gone!!!

2. Some few days ago, a Craigslist free add featured Jag wires, supposedly 16's. Tires past safe use. I had my doubts and wires are pretty but problemsome.

3. My car wears a set of pristine XJS lattice 15 x 7's couretesy of a Kiwi that movced upwards. I added B. F. Goodrich Touring tires. Great so far. Decent handlijng, ;look grsat and I'm not likely to run at 125 MPH for sustsained periods!!!

Carl

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In a few weeks, I will be able to add to this thread. The last week of this month I am going to be installing my brand new, never on vehicle (purchased with original shrink wrap from manufacturer still on) 16x7 Lattice wheels. Pirelli P7 (high performance summer) p225/60/16's will be mounted to them. I hope they fit. Fairly sure they will. I will be doing that along with sorting out my high speed idles issues that weekend. Hopefully all goes well and I can get some pictures to show.
Dale

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-photo.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Dale Konkol:
Jahmiata (10-22-2020), Landdfall (10-31-2020)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Here are the new 16" lattices mounted on new Pirelli P7's. I really like them.
The one pic also shows off the new 7" outboard headlights. That really makes the front end look "correct".
Dale

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-jag-1-06-29-2014.jpg   XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-jag-2-06-29-2014.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Looks fantastic

Cheers
DD

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Now that looks gorgeous!

Speaking of wheels, I notice you have an aftermarket steering wheel cover. I just picked one up from Wal-Mart over the weekend that looks similar. Walnut wood grain/black with chrome strips between. Wasn't looking for one, but thought it matched nicely and is an improvement over the skinny plain stock black wheel.

Corn crops are looking good up there. Knee high by the 4th of July for sure!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM

That's actually a Luigi wheel, not a cover. Half wood, half black "leather like" material. I like it a lot. Much better than the stock "bus" sized original.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 AM

I found a pic of the steering wheel. I opted for the Jaguar horn button as opposed to the Luigi shown.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?-luisi-evolution45s.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Dale

Love the wheels. On the 7" headlight conversion....... where did you get the outer rings ? I've been kind of looking for a while but haven't seen anyplace that has them in stock. I really want to do my car..... it makes a huge difference to the appearance

Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM

I got the conversion kit including the rings from Andrew at Jaguar Specialties.
Don't exactly remember the price, but it was in the area of $500. Check with him and see if he has any more. I think I got the last or next to last set. That was half a year ago however. He might have more. It was (getting ahold of)the chrome rings that was the issue.
Dale

Quick Reply: XJ6 SIII wheel fitment - what other Jaguar wheels fit?