XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1993 XJS Convertible tune up after sitting for a few years

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1993 XJS Convertible tune up after sitting for a few years

Hi All,

I am going to be getting a old 93 xjs convertible to use for a short daily commute and some in town driving. The problem is that it has been sitting in a garage for 3or 4 years. It has been started periodically and maybe even driven for very short distances early on, but it hasn't been driven recently. I was wondering what everyone suggests to get the car in good and safe driving condition. It has close to 90k miles on it. Should I just do the 90k service and replace all fluids? It is the 6 cyl. I'm sorry if i left anything out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Spencer

Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Spencer,

I'm sure there are lots of different views but the key things I would do are:

- carefully check the tyres, inner & outer edges for any UV or age cracking. Change if in any doubt. When you eventually start to use the car, also see if thee is any vibration from the tyres being flat-spotted through storage

- do voltage drop test on battery. It may well be due for replacement

- change the brake fluid. After some years in storage, it needs doing and may well have absorbed moisture. Check rest of brake system, look for any brake hose problems, stuck caliper pistons etc. Drive carefully on first run to clear surface rust from discs

- change the coolant and check integrity of all hoses

- change engine oil & filter

- change fuel filter. Put some fresh petrol in the tank as it may well have gone stale.

- check ignition system coil and leads and particularly plugs

- check air filter and change if not perfect

- consider transmission fluid & filter change unless you know that's it been done since 60k

- check level and colour of diff fluid. change if in doubt

- check all aircon operation. It may well have lost gas through seals hardening

- check operation of all electrical circuits, particularly lights, horn, hood operation and locking systems. When you first open the hood, get an assistant to check that it doesn't catch the back of the rear seat (2+2?) when folding. You may need to "retrain" the hood to make sure it folds cleanly without snagging.

It's worth spending a bit of time and money at the outset to get it up and running well. It's then far more likely to provide enjoyable reliable motoring. Don't put put the car into full-time operation straight away. Do a few weekend runs to check everything is ok and test out how it runs.

Enjoy your commute. It's a great way to get to work!

Paul

The following users liked this post:
fujisd (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM

PTJS,

Thanks for your suggestions. Gonna have to see how much it's gonna cost to change all of the fluids, belts, and hoses. I figure I can do simple stuff like the oil change, air filter and maybe the cap rotor and spark plugs.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Spencer,

Just to let you know you haven't got a V6 engine as per your sig! You've got a straight 6.

Paul

Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Yup, no Jaguar V6's until the 99 S type.

Our AJ6 and AJ16's are direct successors of the legendary Jaguar straight 6 XK engine.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Ah yup you guys are right. I guess I'm just used to saying v6. Funny because I should know better as I used to have a straight 6 jeep wrangler too. Thanks, I changed the info in my sig.