89 Xjs convertible v12 chevy convertion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by differentchances36
Ok so now I have the hood off.scrapping off the doodoo shield

I have the new motor.. it is a 84 Corvette block. Edel brock intake
Not the best SBC starting point but I guess you're working with what you have available to you. If its got the stock heads and cam you'll be lucky to squeeze 200HP and only if the carb and distributor curve is tuned well.

I need to purchase a diagonal thermostat housing -----Tips?
I've never heard of sucha thing. Are you using a kit? Thermostat housing and angle will largely be determined by what kit you are using and what radiator.

Will need a new Carb... nothing crazy ---Tips?
Eledbrock Performer 600 for new. Qjet from a 80's GM V8 for used.

Will be getting rustoleum for the hood primer and high heat... should I still find a shield or is it not a necessity?
I'd go with louvers to let the heat out. I wish I did have a heat sheild on my jag, The plastic alternator fan blew apart at 7000 RPM and put a nice dent in my hood. I upgraded to a steel alternator fan but the dimple dent is still there.

and I have the 1-2-1 headers ....should I keep or do pipes... ?
What exactly are "Pipes" ? AFAIK you need rams horn manifolds to clear the steering rack shaft. Rams horns are found on 70's corvettes and good repro's are available new. As for pipes I have seen someone fab up exotic long tube headers that carefully went around the steering shaft but with the SBC you're using that would be overkill.

Also as a sidenote Im replacing small hardware in the engine bay with stainless steel . No more rust bolts ! Sponsored by Fastenal
That should look clean but make sure you use antiseize on the threads...I originally used stainless but change to Alu bolts to save weight. I've done lots of other weight saving changes too so that made more sense for me.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-21-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys....

How are you going about putting vents in the hood... through a shop and which part ?

Yes I do have the ram horns.

Where can I find a shield or just order a factory ?

I was told if the shields removed it shouldnt get too hot but its a Jag and **** changes...

Yes im using what I have. Just to get this thing running.. not everyone has a pocket for projects.

Might sound silly but I scraped off the hood. An was going to sand.. clean..sand. and high heat clear right over the rust.

600cfm it is.. thanks

The pipes (or exhaust) that I have I believe are factory... they come up the sides near the cross member. And set for the ram horns...if I had or obtained longtube headers I wouldnt know where to start because of clearance...and Id have to remove or cut the PIPES already there

whats left now is.... new hoses.. dizzy and plugs...starter..carb ..oil an filter.

And id really like to know what to do with this fan shroud.

I have one that has a reservoir on each side but I want to replace it. Don't know if its from a jag or something else

Last edited by GGG; 05-21-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: terminology - see my PM
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Antisieze?

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

How are you going about putting vents in the hood... through a shop and which part ?
Its getting done by. At Lone Star Body Shop we design and build Hot Rods, Custom Cars and Custom Trucks to the highest standard.
I was working on the two flats at the back of hood on either side there is no structural members there to contend with.

Where can I find a shield or just order a factory ?
Jaguar XJS XJ Series 1 2 3 Under Bonnet Insulation | eBay I was going to use this after I re-spray the car, but buy that time I will know if its needed or not. To press in the vents they need to remove the paint first.

I was told if the shields removed it shouldnt get too hot but its a Jag and **** changes...
LOL you said it its a JAG!

Yes im using what I have. Just to get this thing running.. not everyone has a pocket for projects.
I would be doing the same!

good luck with the other things.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Default XJS SBC CNVt

ok guy so as i stated before ei have a 83 XJS with the chevy convert ion. engine overheated so i swapped for a new one. now that i was mounting my engine i just realized the transmission or the housing says C6 which is a ford transmission… SO..does anyone know if the c6 is SBC 350 friendly..or just 302 and 305s… let me know please. I'm 65 percent certain it should bolt up.. but just thought id ask.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

ok guy so as i stated before ei have a 83 XJS with the chevy convert ion. engine overheated so i swapped for a new one. now that i was mounting my engine i just realized the transmission or the housing says C6 which is a ford transmission… SO..does anyone know if the c6 is SBC 350 friendly..or just 302 and 305s… let me know please. I'm 65 percent certain it should bolt up.. but just thought id ask.
Thats strange. I wonder if it is a prodution code or something like that. My 350 has a turbo400. Im more of a dodge guy that chevy but my convertion has turbo400. I thought sbc trannys where the turbo 350 & 400. Theres also a 700r4 for 4 speed auto.
Was that the tranny you got with the car? If so it should fit.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

MODERATION REQUEST:

can we edit the title from convertion to conversion please? There's useful information here that may not show up in a conversion search.

Thank You.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Thats strange. I wonder if it is a prodution code or something like that. My 350 has a turbo400. Im more of a dodge guy that chevy but my convertion has turbo400. I thought sbc trannys where the turbo 350 & 400. Theres also a 700r4 for 4 speed auto.
Was that the tranny you got with the car? If so it should fit.
All ive done was take out the old engine and put in the new... its not mounted yet . But on the top of the bellhousing it says C6 which is Ford. So I did some bare HW and apparently the c6 has more durability and is more commonly used and interchanged with 302 and 305s or most of fords big blocks of. So I also found a paper in the car from 2009 Goodyear receipt says the engine is a 78 305 ...BUT the previous owner did say it was a 350.. so I dont know. Regardless the transmission is still a three speed.. and nothing changed between 302-305 and 350 aside from the bore and cams and little things. Correct me if im wrong but the flywheels are the same size...

Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW my XJS has virtually nothing connected or plumbed in the engine bay after the previous owner replaced both head gaskets.

I have bought two workshop manuals & do intend to try and get the V12 up and running.

Now for the hate. If the V12 won't run or proves to be completely stuffed I have a complete 5.0 HO Ford engine with all wiring and a 4 speed auto & will have no hesitation about bolting that in so that I can enjoy my sexy big coupe. Sure it will not produce quite the same momentum as the V12 or be quite as smooth & will lack the magic v12 exhaust note but it will be more economical and probably more reliable than the V12.

Commodores equipeed with LS1's are selling for around $3K if you look in the right places. I have seen three in the last month for that sort of money.

Last edited by Jim5_0; 08-19-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V12 to LS6 conversion

Gents,
I had to weigh in here. After dealing with never ending V12 issues and, IMHO, over-engineered, out-dated technology and expensive "fixes", I decided to take the plunge and do an LS swap. It wasn't cheap, but, for me, it was absolutely worth it. I nearly doubled the power and vastly improved my MPG. Kits are great and can save a lot of time, but any swap shop worth their weight will have no problem fabricating a set of brackets for your swap. Here in Southern California, there are dozens of shops that specialize in just LS swaps. The bracket fabrication amounts to a few hours of shop labor, but will still be a significant discount over the asking price of the VERY EXPENSIVE kits that are out there. I will caution that this is not an inexpensive swap and it WILL fundamentally change the personality and character of your car. If you're looking for that, you'll love it, but if you're looking for a factory "feel", you will be disappointed. I have no regrets and am already looking forward to my next XJS LS-swap project!
Cheers, mates

Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I bought an 86 Coupe with sbc in it. Love the car, runs great and has over 325hp.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:47 AM
Default 1983 XJS with SBC

ITS ALIVVE NOW !. turned out it was a t350 chevy tranny but was branded c6 just a manufacturers thing back then so it is NOT A FORD transmission.
Also went through the first SBC and now have a late model from a Suburban block numbers from 88-95. The car definitely has kick. Im dealing with changing the ignition and getting it turn key ready. right now id have to jumpstart the starter. might be my battery so ill be replacing that as well.

View My Video

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 04:48 AM

there is a video of it running. from 6th startup at my house below the picture.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

My .02 worth: A carb'd SBC will probably get no better gas mileage than a EFI V12. I don't ridicule, look down upon, or chide anyone with aspirations to put a different engine in a V12 Jag. My question is, always has been, why not a Camaro? Or a Corvette? Much more straight forward, much easier to work on, obtain parts for. To me, a Jags most appealing part is, well, being a Jag. Through and through. I will be more than happy to talk with you, talk you through whatever you need to do before you pull that V12. It isn't a low end motor. It will never give you off the line acceleration, yet NOTHING idles, runs, and feels like a Jag V12.

FWIW, EFI used to scare me. But old dogs CAN learn new tricks. EFI is the way to go for a street driven machine. PERIOD. Read, learn. It isn't rocket science.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Just watched, listen to video. Something is wrong. Very wrong.