XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Adventures in Jaguar Hunting - Add Yours

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adventures in Jaguar Hunting - Add Yours

Adventures In Jaguar Hunting (Paradise?)

I noticed an ad recently on Craig’s List for a Jaguar XJS convertible. The price seemed surprisingly low and I suspected something wasn’t right. I first emailed, then after no response, called. I could tell the seller was a young man and he was rather vague on some of the answers to my questions. I thought it was best to go look at it to see if it was worthwhile. It was three and a half hours away. If I had been humming the Gilligan’s Island theme song as I drove along, it would have been prophetic.

About half way, I called to tell him that my trip was going well and I should be on time. He told me that he was leaving for college, but his mother would be home to show me the car. I asked who would sign over the title if I chose to buy the Jaguar. He said, “Oh, she will. The car’s in her name.” “Hmm, okay, but what if I have questions?” “Just call me and I’ll help.” I arrived to find his mother taking down decorations. She immediately said, “It’s okay to look at the car, but don’t ask me questions. I don’t know anything about it.”

I proceeded to look the Jag over. My first item of concern was the 137700 miles on the odometer. The ad said, 115000. Next was the gang switch for the windows and top lifted out and broken from the center console. The convertible top button didn’t do anything. Various wires were hanging in places in the car and trunk. The passenger floor rug was pulled up and there was a pile of rust under some rusty shielding over the wiring located there. The wiring in the trunk was exposed supposedly because someone had been working on it. The air conditioning compressor wouldn’t kick on and neither side hood latches would latch. I called him about the discrepancies and he admitted that his brother was working on it, but he would put everything back. Then he told me that the brake booster needed to be replaced and I’d have to be careful driving it. I took it for a test drive down the block. There were no brakes. The pedal was on the floor and only extreme pressure would even slow the car. There were a few other details like the visor clips and other trim that needed replacement, The radio not working, very little warmth from the heater after I warmed the engine up and the huge gash in the rear seat cushion, but I thought it was worth making an offer.

I sat down with his mother and looked at the title. It was in someone’s name that lived in Missouri with four car dealer’s name in sequence after it. The dealers must have unloaded it at auctions. Then she showed me a lien notice for the title. The son had traded his existing car and agreed to a $500 additional cash payment. He never made the payment or transferred the title, so for the past six months the car hadn’t been titled in his or his mother’s name. He also couldn’t remember where the dealer was located where he bought the Jaguar. That dealer’s name wasn’t on the title. When I spoke with him on the phone earlier, I specifically asked if he had a clear title. He must think the piece of paper is the only proof of ownership needed. His mother showed me a CarFax that clearly showed the lien. Nothing was ever done about it.

His mother seemed like a nice lady and said she couldn’t understand why everything about the Jaguar was a mess. She then told me that her son had lost his driver’s license. The Jag had no license plates and I had asked why when I called earlier. He said he took them off so no one would drive it. The story of the unpaid lien unfolded with the son showing up unexpectedly in July with the Jaguar. It had bad brakes even then and they spent $200 for a mechanic to tell them that the problem was the master brake cylinder. She suggested that I try pumping the brake pedal to see if I could get it to work. There was no pumping. It was to the floor. So much for the car being drivable and having a clear title let alone no electrical problems. This is typical of a Craig’s List ads in my experience.

By that time, it was late in the day and was starting to spit rain, so I headed on my three and a half hour drive home. The spitting turned into a driving freezing rain. At about half way, I turned off of Interstate onto a secondary road I like to save time and distance. All of a sudden my charge light came on. I figured it was the belt slipping because of the rain as it had done so a couple of months earlier, a bad electrical connection or the belt broke. My old Toyota truck’s alternator belt also powers the water pump. When the heat cut out and the temperature gauge started rising, I knew it was a broken belt. The road was a two lane, small soft shoulder state road that had regular semi traffic. There was thirty miles of nothing but farms. Not even a small town for parts along the way. I knew that the last place I wanted to be was pulled off to the side in the black as Hell night of a freezing rain.

I used the freezing rain to my advantage. I rode behind a semi and cut my head lights to save power for ignition. There wasn’t any traffic behind me the whole way and few cars from the opposite direction. There were only three intersections with stop signs. I switched on my head lights when I got close to those. The rest of the time, the red tail lights of the semi gave me a good view of the road ahead. The wind around the engine must have turned the water pump fan enough to get some circulation and the freezing rain helped cool it. If I kept at a level speed behind the semi, the only time I approached overheating was when accelerating after the stop signs. The semi driver must have thought I was nuts.

I made it to the next town, about thirty miles, just as my engine was starting to overheat, pulled into a Super 8 and spent the night. By the next morning, everything was frozen solid. I walked to the nearest auto parts store, bought a new belt, a cheap tarp and the tools I needed to install it. The motel parking lot was a sheet of ice, but I liked that better than crawling around in cold water. I had to chip away ice to get access to install the belt, but all in all, it went well and it started right up. I was concerned that I might have lost too much battery charge to get it started again.

I survived my adventure in Jaguar hunting. Craig’s List is full of morons and crooks who will do and say anything to peddle their junk. It’s hard to protect against them and there’s always the wild card of chance that makes a long trip dangerous. The trip was a total waste of time and money. The mother promised to follow up with me when the title was cleared up. I never heard from her and she and her son wouldn’t return my calls. Maybe just as well because the XJS might have only been a money pit at 137700 miles on it.

BQ

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackQueen:
EcbJag (01-21-2015), Five Speed (02-01-2015), Flint Ironstag (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:36 AM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

What a trip! Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it makes for some good story telling.

Five years ago on the trip to buy my first xj-s, one side of the brakes on the Uhaul trailer I rented (it was a non runner) locked up while in reverse, jackknifed, and took the bumper off my near brand new truck. Had to hold the exhaust up with a coat hanger and drive the whole sorry rig 9 hours from Victorville Ca to Napa.

Two years later my next project xj-s was being driven onto an identical Uhaul trailer and as the wheels hit the ramps, the tongue of the trailer rose off the ball and pierced a hole through the tailgate. Turns out the guy at the rental place hadn't properly connected the trailer.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't rent Uhaul trailers
2. Don't buy Jags you can't drive home
3. Jaguars have a tendency to take out your other vehicles
4. Have good insurance (ps, Uhaul actually did FINALLY take blame in second incident so that one didn't go on my insurance)

The following users liked this post:
BlackQueen (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This seems to be the spot for bad craigslist experiences. Last week I drove from Vegas to Anaheim, about 4 hours, to buy some lattice wheels with NEW tires. I had talked to the guy several times as the previous week I had only got as far as stateline, about 1 hour, and had to be towed home. When I finally got there the NEW tires looked new but were so old they had gone flat and the chrome was chipped so bad on two of the wheels as to make them unusable. He was stuck on selling me basically two rims for the agreed upon price of 4 perfect rims with new tires. CRAIGSLIST SUCKS

BlackQueen (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Let the buyer beware seems to be the rule for Craig's List. The best I hope for is that they don't waste me time and traveling expenses. I'm getting to the point that I'd like to have a video emailed for review before I dare drive out of town. I'm certain that many people have had good experiences, but too often what sold on Craig's List is what can't be sold anywhere else. Maybe these stories will help others avoid some of the pitfalls. "We can live quite comfortably once we know the hazards of the Fire Swamp." ;-]
BQ

Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I looked at three XJ-S' here in Germany before I took a flight to Britain to buy one unseen!

The three I saw here, ranged from "Bad" to "Scrap". Prices between €5.000 and €10.000 for cars with more rust than steel, more oil stain leaks than sealed pipes and less paint than patina...

Then one popped up in London. I instantly fell in love with it. The pictures looked promissing. The owner was very honest and described the car worse than it was and I short noticed booked a flight and bought the car on the spot.

Since then I've had to redo a "few" things, but for the paid price it is absolutely worth it! No money pit, just needed a little "maintance" for future

BlackQueen (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Quote: Jaguars have a tendency to take out your other vehicles

Its in their nature. They are territorial.
They are wild cats after all.

o1xjr (02-04-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yep... My Iron Lady wanted a friend... So the C30 went and the XJ6 came...

Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Our Tale...not really

Well ours hasn't taken out any other vehicles YET! We went over to a cousins for a family event and the VW Bus that he had been rebuilding was gone and there was this Black Beauty sitting in the garage.
My Wife was smitten to say the least, told me that she wouldn't have bought the Caddy that she was driving, if there had been a Jaguar available. So she talked her cousin into selling it to her, with me as the riding mechanic. And the rest is now history. She drives it, and me, I'm crazy!

RagJag (01-28-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Diam you have the wheels I am desperately looking for on that beauty. THAT CAR LOOKS SPECTACULAR IN BLUE!!!

Daim (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Robbin, are you looking for 15 or 16 lattice? There's some 15s on CL around here for 100 bucks for all 4. Been up there a month or more (I noticed b/c I have 16s).

Not sure if I'm in a position to facilitate, but the guy's number is in the post and perhaps you could talk him into some sort of paypal and shipping arrangement?

robbinpace (01-24-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I like to start at the beginning so when I went to buy mine I took a friend's Tundra to Uhaul to rent a trailer. The computer system said the truck would not pull the trailer and car so I had to rent one of their trucks.

I have never driven a truck pulling a trailer before so driving there with the empty trailer bouncing all over the place was a puckering experience.

When I arrived the owner actually had a little generic bobcat that he used to pull the car up onto the trailer. I followed the instructions the Uhaul guy gave me about tying the car down to the best of my ability and set off in fear and terror.

I actually made it back fine. The trailer was much easier to handle full than empty.

When I arrived at the house my next door neighbor and my wife helped me push Sterling into the garage and there he has sat since.

I am a fool enough that I bought him having never driven one or even sat in one until I went and looked at him.

So I work and learn in the hopes of someday taking him for a test drive!

BlackQueen (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dorschman
When I arrived at the house my next door neighbor and my wife helped me push Sterling into the garage and there he has sat since.

I am a fool enough that I bought him having never driven one or even sat in one until I went and looked at him.

So I work and learn in the hopes of someday taking him for a test drive!
That's a great story. If we don't pursue our dreams we'll always wonder and ask "What if?" Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Then, there's when we don't lose...

BQ

Old 01-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 95 AJ16-5
Robbin, are you looking for 15 or 16 lattice? There's some 15s on CL around here for 100 bucks for all 4. Been up there a month or more (I noticed b/c I have 16s).

Not sure if I'm in a position to facilitate, but the guy's number is in the post and perhaps you could talk him into some sort of paypal and shipping arrangement?
He probably means the lattice in polished/machined optic

robbinpace (01-24-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

My newest adventure was getting my - passed - XJ6...

I'd been thinking a while to replace my C30 with an older XJ. I always like the X300 so I opted for one of them. I really wanted a black one with black interior, so I searched and found one... One in 200 cars was black. This one had all going for it...

- black outside
- black inside
- sports model (XJ6 slightly lowered, 16" rims, sport seats, ...)
- 165.000 km on the clock
- good condition overall
- full service history

And the price was great. Only thing was: it was in Jena, which is about 450 km from where I live. I planned on going down in the C30, looking at it and then buying it. Driving home the same day and the nxt day getting some dealer plates, heading down by train and then driving it back. Would have been awkward regarding back and forth but it would have worked easily.

My dad insisted we take a trailer on Sunday behind his van and bring it back at the same time. So I rented a trailer (€55/day), tanked his van (€80/tank fill) and we left on Sunday morning quite early to get it...

Half way down, the sat nav packed up. Okay, we have some maps... Then we were stopped by the police the first time (yes, first time). Standard routine paper check. Off we went. We passed the boarder to Hessia and the next policemen stopped us. The grounded us, as the van is classed as a truck and can't drive with a trailer on a Sunday. So okay, we were stuck for a few hours (it was about 12 o'clock and we would have been able to leave again at 10 pm!). So we locked the trailer and drove off... My dad is getting a ~€100 fine and 1 point on his license.

We got to Jena around 2 pm. I checked the car. It was great. Lovely piece of kit. All worked everything was fine. So I bought it, got the papers and prepared it for later.

We headed back to where the trailer was and had something to eat. Luckily a Burger King was there (though the food is *****). It was about 5 pm by now and we had to wait another 5 hours before we could leave. Luckily it got dark very quickly though snow started to fall... We left a "little" earlier and got back to Jena at 8.30 pm. Loaded the car up and took the back roads - on a second tank fill! Carefully through the middle of nowhere and time just flying by. Around 1 am (on Monday!) we got to the Harz. Had a drink/coffee there and sometime later joined the A7. Finally we could make progress - legally - and we got to my village around 3 am. Unlaoded the car (and the car didn't want to get off the trailer - so it wedged it's exhaust into the floor whilst driving it off), parked it in the drive. My dad went to bed, I took the trailer back (it was now around 3.30 am!) and dropped that off. I was in bed around 4 am - and had to get up at 6 am the same day... What a short night!

Took the papers and keys for the trailer back to the rental place. I was charged €110 for the trailer... Okay, could be worse.

So that was only getting it to mine! I was supposed to have Monday and Tuesday off work, but didn't work. Wednesday though worked. So I drove to the local registration office, got the XJ registered (I waited FOUR hours!!!) and headed to my brother's to get the tyres changed for some new winter tyres. Brand spanking new. The rims didn't want to come off the car, so they were carefully whacked off. New rims fitted, all was okay, except the boot button didn't want to work anymore... Okay, something I can sort later. So, there I was, new car all working, everything great.

My C30 was just sold and all was working out well. Until last Thursday. One of those bad days. I forgot my sports gear so I drove home from work. Got to a crossing and spun the car. Lost control, crashed into a sign, fence and tree and the car is a write off.

So, the car I really wanted and found hard to get hold of with perfect history and totally rustfree was killed due to a little patch of ice in the road... FANTASTIC!

That is how you in the end bury €3500 of cash on less than 14 days!

robbinpace (01-30-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Daim, amazing how ice causes folks to wreck. No mention that actually you caused it by incompetent driving on icy roads. And you killed an XJS. No excuse. No purgatory for you!
RagJag

Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Daim, amazing how ice causes folks to wreck. No mention that actually you caused it by incompetent driving on icy roads. And you killed an XJS. No excuse. No purgatory for you!
RagJag
XJ6 mate... My XJ-S will never see ice... Regarding incompetent driving: you're right... I'm useless at driving. And I think it is great that you were there to judge my driving. Maybe you ought to contact the police here and tell them? They'll be grateful to hear it!

Last edited by Daim; 01-28-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Daim
XJ6 mate... My XJ-S will never see ice... Regarding incompetent driving: you're right... I useless at driving.
Daim,
That's a wonderful and sad story. Fits right in and on topic. Thanks for sharing.

Here in the US Midwest, winters are full of ice and snow. I had business in Chicago on Monday. While driving home on I80 in the evening, the freezing rain stopped. A colder front moved through turning miles of road into black ice. I suspected something was wrong ahead because a rest stop I passed was jammed packed with semis. They are like pigs before an earthquake.

Anyway, besides several cars in the ditches, I passed a very bad five car and one semi pile up. The semi T-boned one of the cars. Only driving 40-50 MPH, I finally made it home safely. Cars can be replaced. Maybe not as good, though. It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

You must have traffic issues there on your roads with those kind of restrictions. With the increase of vehicles per person going up in the US, maybe that's coming here, too. We have more cars per person than dogs and cats. It's a good thing that that the cars can't roam by themselves. With the self-driving cars now, maybe they will. It's a funny world.

BQ

RagJag (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Oh, you wrecked an XJ6. Not a problem then. It does concern XJS drivers when the owner admits he/she is useless at driving, though.

Good call BlackQueen. I wish more drivers of cars and pickups would notice when semis slow down or get off the road. They have a good reason. I drove semis from 1969 to 2000.
Cheers, RagJag

Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Oh, you wrecked an XJ6. Not a problem then. It does concern XJS drivers when the owner admits he/she is useless at driving, though.

Good call BlackQueen. I wish more drivers of cars and pickups would notice when semis slow down or get off the road. They have a good reason. I drove semis from 1969 to 2000.
Cheers, RagJag
Its called sarcasm

I'm a good driver. My first accident in 10 years... And no snow... A patch of black ice... Means the roads were dry. It doesn't snow in this part of Germany (and if, then only 3 mm).

Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Interesting bit of info about it not snowing much in Northern Germany. I would have guessed otherwise, it being close to Hamburg. Live and learn.
RagJag

Quick Reply: Adventures in Jaguar Hunting - Add Yours