XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alarming Problem! with my XJS 5.3 V12

Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Alarming Problem! with my XJS 5.3 V12

Hi

On my V12 XJS I cannot help but notice that it is fitted with a 'Clifford Car Alarm', which is driving me absolutely crazy!

Because it always seems to go off when I least expect it and this has happened so often that I have even resorted to removing the fuse which works the horn!

Which is not only a lunatic move! but has also created a very unusual problem all of its own!

As this in itself does not prevent the Alarm from going off, even though I can no longer hear it, which means that it now drains my battery, without me even knowing, until of course I try and start her up!

I hate car alarms with a passion, as when I go out in the small hours, you get about 30 seconds to put the 'dongle thingy' up to the steering column to disarm the Alarm.

So in the event that I fumble the keys, or drop them in the dark 'All hell breaks loose.'

Which results in me being taken off everyone's Christmas Card list, which is psychologically damaging and fills me with self loathing and remorse.

So what I really want to do is to disable this Alarm altogether, so does anybody know how I do that?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

There probably isn't a standard answer on disabling the alarm. Many varieties of Cliffords were used over the years ...and different installers each had their own way of doing things.

I've removed lots of alarms over the years. Best bet, really, is to dig in and remove the entire system one wire at a time. You might have to re-splice or at least re-tape some original wiring afterwards. Plan on a couple hours.

If that doesn't appeal then nose about under the dashboard and you'll probably find a couple alarm-specific fuses dangling from the alarm wires under the dash. Pull 'em and see what happens.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi

On my V12 XJS I cannot help but notice that it is fitted with a 'Clifford Car Alarm', which is driving me absolutely crazy!

Because it always seems to go off when I least expect it and this has happened so often that I have even resorted to removing the fuse which works the horn!

Which is not only a lunatic move! but has also created a very unusual problem all of its own!

As this in itself does not prevent the Alarm from going off, even though I can no longer hear it, which means that it now drains my battery, without me even knowing, until of course I try and start her up!

I hate car alarms with a passion, as when I go out in the small hours, you get about 30 seconds to put the 'dongle thingy' up to the steering column to disarm the Alarm.

So in the event that I fumble the keys, or drop them in the dark 'All hell breaks loose.'

Which results in me being taken off everyone's Christmas Card list, which is psychologically damaging and fills me with self loathing and remorse.

So what I really want to do is to disable this Alarm altogether, so does anybody know how I do that?

Yet another Saga of the recalcitrant XjS I see. You know you enjoy finding these little issues, OB, it gives you something to write about.

Google is one of my very best friends, who seems to know almost everything, and so I asked him about your alarm. He gave me this link to a Miata forum from 2006, but it might give you a clue how to proceed... Or it may only provide you with more frustration. It will give you more material at any rate.

Trying to disconnect a Clifford alarm system from my car - MX-5 Miata Forum

And another link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7625283_disa...rm-system.html

I have a Viper after market alarm which is connected to power with one of those squeezey vampire clip thingys, which power wire I can cut. I can also simply unplug the whole component, pulling the off Giant umbilical/multipin connector and hold the thing in my hand.

I haven't done this because it isn't causing my trouble and I find its remote locking function quite handy. But if it was, the first thing I would do is pull off the battery ground strap, and then cut the wire to the siren (the horn doesn't seem to be involved). No power, no trouble.

Of course if that happens, I hope it's in the garage at home at the time (If I was out somewhere I would call my favorite tow guys). If after all those disconnections the LED was out and the car started, and the horn worked, I'd leave it at that. If one of those things didn't work correctly, I suppose I would be chasing wires.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
There probably isn't a standard answer on disabling the alarm. Many varieties of Cliffords were used over the years ...and different installers each had their own way of doing things.

I've removed lots of alarms over the years. Best bet, really, is to dig in and remove the entire system one wire at a time. You might have to re-splice or at least re-tape some original wiring afterwards. Plan on a couple hours.

If that doesn't appeal then nose about under the dashboard and you'll probably find a couple alarm-specific fuses dangling from the alarm wires under the dash. Pull 'em and see what happens.

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

I'm sure the Car Alarm is great but I don't want my 'hooter' going off at 5o/c in the morning, when I'm parked in someone else's driveway!

And even worse I've got two sets of keys, with two separate dongles, one of which doesn't always work, even though I have tried to programme it.

So if I pick up the wrong set of keys or even take the wrong dongle out of my pocket, everyone's curtains are twitching for all the wrong reasons!

At which point I have to jump in the boot to disconnect the battery or wake up the whole street.

Since this Car has been laid up so long, I don't want to start cutting wires, so I will do what you suggested and look around under the dash to find the fuse.