XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-dash GPS Navigation Receiver for 2003 S-type

Hello all!

I am very new to this forum and I am happy that I stumbled across this fantastic sight. The knowledge you have shared over the years about different Jaguar issues absolutely blows my mind!

I am Neisha, and I am not only new to this forum but also a new Jaguar owners. I do have to say that this is absolutely the best car I have ever owned and I can't image now driving anything else. I currently reside in the Washington, DC area and I purchased my 2003 S-Type approximately two years ago and it had a mere 63K miles on it. After 2 years of ownership, learning the necessities of maintaining it. I have just put and additional 10K on my baby.

Now I am looking to upgrading my factory installed radio for a more modern In-dash GPS Navigation Receiver. My car currently does not have a navigation system, but I do have steering wheel controls for my factor radio system. My current dash looks exactly like this photo I found online that I have attached. The problem is that I am not certain what product dimensions for the new aftermarket receiver would work.

I looked on Crutichield.com and they listed several units that would "fit" my car. But the product dimensions are all different and that concerns me especially after reading some of the treads on here about spacing issue.

As an example, they listed that the Boss BV9386NV would "fit" my car and it has the product dimensions of 6.2x7x4.2. But it also says that the Kenwood DNX690HD would also "fit" my car and it has the product dimensions of 11.8x10.2x7.6...how is this possible? i guess ultimately I want to purchase a receiver with potentially the largest screen that would fit the space.

What are your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-52128261.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 AM
Default steering wheel audio controls

if I get an aftermarket Head unit for my 03 S Type, standard Stock radio (no nav) is there anything I need to do or have done so that volume and other audio controls on the steering wheel function as intended?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Default Mute pin, location 10 connector C2115 Harman Kardon

I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 with the high end 14 speaker Harman Kardon sound system and MOST "wiring".

I am doing a D4 Bluetooth upgrade from the previous dealer 0000 Bluetooth.

For the most part, the new Bluetooth is working fine, however the radio audio disappeared. I then discovered that applying 10 volts, (12 may be OK), onto pin 10 of connector C2115 feeding into the back of the radio head, (IHU), brings the radio sound back and the Bluetooth continues to work as it should - that is radio audio mutes when cell phone rings or I wish to make a call.

My concern is that I thought MUTE circuits were designed to mute when the pin was grounded; in my case, if ungrounded and connected to nothing, the radio is muted and it takes volts to keep the radio unmuted.

Does this make sense or suggest a further problem?

I do not want to experiment with grounding pin 10 on the chance that taking the circuit to ground will release the smoke from within; also my problem is unmute, not muting and keeping a voltage on the pin to keep the radio audio alive seems odd - but then it is a UK vehicle.

The pdf attached is just something I found that on page 2 shows the connector and the pin location. It appears that newer Jags use the same HK radio setup hence the question on this forum - black art stuff to me.

It may be that I will just have to keep ignition volts on the pin all the time but I wondered if that was normal, or as it should be?

Attached Files
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
Jake,

This isn't Jag related, but, I thought I'd throw it out there. My DD is an '08 Jeep Wrangler. I am wondering if there is a way to disable the horn honk feature when you lock the car with the remote fob. I have never liked that on any car and I hate it when it's my car. I get home late a lot of nights, and I hate disturbing the neighbors. I don't really care if it also disables the alarm, nobody pays any attention to them anyway. You audio guys always seem to know about alarms.

Thanks, Terry
If you look in the manuel it shows you how to disable alarm chirps. It involves turning on and off ignition several times stepping on the gas pedal and pushing door lock buttons.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Hi! My jag blew a motor so it's been sitting for a couple of years (yeah, I know, but I was broke!) and now my radio screen is completly blank. How can you put a code in if you can't see anything on the screen? The shop checked the fuses and they are still good. Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey -

Have a stock 1989 Jaguar XJS Convertible. Has stock radio/cassette. Looking to upgrade to something else. Can you recommend decks, amps, speakers that fit well?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 AM
KBL
Default Great Thread! STR Mute on/off error

Thanks for offering your knowledge here! I have a 2003 STR with stock Alpine radio and the radio will intermittently go into "mute on" mode while I am listening to it. If I hit the phone mute button on the steering wheel it comes out of mute but continues flipping in and out of mute randomly. Someone else on here suggested cutting the wire from the steering column controls and that fixed the problem for him (but now no steering wheel phone mute controls). That seems like a cludgy work-around and I'm nervous about snipping wires in a Jag. Someone else mentioned that the Mute On is activated by grounding. Not sure how that is done in the wiring/switching but it sounds to me like this could indicate I have a bad ground connection somewhere in the mix. I don't know where to start to trace it (if that's even the issue). Do you have thoughts on this?

Old 06-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Jake,
My 89 xjs has an Alpine CDE 9842 installed and when ignition is turned off, it looses all memory. The owner's manual does not have installation instructions and I have not been successful in trying to remove the radio and check the wiring to the ignition or positive. I have the face plate off but do not see any mounting screws, etc....
thanks,
ken in WV

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Default xk8 hi fi questions

i have a 98 xk8 with a hk premi. system. Where is my amp located? Do you know where i can see a diagram of its set up and specs? Are my rear factory 2 or 4 ohms. Only one of the mids are working in the rear and what can you tell me about how their wired up. Meaning, is the box hooked up like one unit or are they seperate and just sealed in the same box? Someone removed the subs from the car and left the wires laying but one of the mids are still playing. Whats the best bass driver i can fit in that hole and make look good? How would you solve this problem? When I try to use the manual vol control it goes everywhere on the scale? Thanx for all the useful info sir. Tim

Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

CD PLAYER CONECTION IN TRUNK XJS 1993?

Is the CD connecter in the XJS universal or is it specific to the XJS?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring adapter from factory to JVC unit?

I am installing a JVC single din with the adapter plate and wanting to know if there is a wiring adapter that can be purchased to make the install (less soldering) easy? Also, what will I have to do for my steering wheel controls to work.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 PM

I would like to know the intrchangeability between a 1993 XJS with a radio that will accept a round nine pin male CD plug from another Jaguar model or any American automobile
I am hoping there are Standards establish for auto CD players' output

Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Needing install kit

I've got a 2000 X200 (without Nav) and I am really wanting to upgrade to a double-din head unit with navigation. Upon looking at it, it would seem to be an easy install, however I can't seem to find an install kit anywhere online. It seems strange that nobody would make an installation kit for something that appears to be pretty cut and dry - unless there is something much more complicated waiting behind all the dash trim.

Could use some advice when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Kenatofc:
Without a wiring diagram I would say you have no residual power to the unit. I would look for a small battery and also check your main powe plug to the unitr and any purple or white and blue wires to the unit
Good luck
afterburner

Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Default Xk8 bluetooth

I'd like to add bluetooth capability to my original Alpine radio with CD changer without changing the head unit. I have a 2003 XK 8.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default power ant gets hot

My antenna works as far as it goes up and down when i turn stereo on and off. The top of the unit gets very hot where the connector is. It gets hot if antenna is up or down. The system still has the 10sec relay. Right now i am leaving it up with the connector off but i would like to get it working correctly. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 AM

My wife's Jaguar is a 2002 X-Type. The battery needed to be replaced. The installer connected a small battery into the fuse block so as to not loose information such as the clock and radio presets. Later in the week, my wife said the CD player would not work. After checking this out, it was found that the head unit would not respond to the CD button being pushed. There is power to the trunk unit, but the head unit doesn't know it's there. Any ideas? Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Default CD player not recognized by head unit

My wife's Jaguar is a 2002 X-Type. The battery needed to be replaced. The installer connected a small battery into the fuse block so as to not loose information such as the clock and radio presets. Later in the week, my wife said the CD player would not work. After checking this out, it was found that the head unit would not respond to the CD button being pushed. There is power to the trunk unit, but the head unit doesn't know it's there. Any ideas? Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jake21
Lately I have seen a few stereo questions pop up around here, so i figured I would make a thread for the purpose of answering you car audio, security, remote starts, bluetooth, gps, etc etc etc related questions in our Jag's.

I have been a professional car audio installer for many years, so if you have any 12v questions, feel free to ask.
My 89 had a JVC CD player in it. I removed it and replaced it with a Blaupounkt I had. Now I need to swap out the speakers. According to Crutchfield the car has 5" diameter speakers in it all the way around. But they only offer I think one brand in that size.

Can I put in 5.25" diameter speakers in there as replacements?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Default what sound system do i have

HI Jake how do i tell what radio i have in my x type 04 because i want to fit a parrot mki9200 and on ebay they sell a connecting wires to my radio system and there asking me have i got an Alpine, Premium or Audiophile sound system with amplifier in boot, can you please advise me.
Many Thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!