XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stock radio

Does it pay to fix the old radio for the sake of authenticity or try to find a good working unit. They're not too bad sounding and are easily swapped for shows. Mine was weird, the AM was working but, the FM wasn't working so I found the PC board in question, re-soldered the (cracked connections), reinstalled and now the FM was clear but now no AM. Well plus when I checked out the changer it wouldn't push the cassette out so I shelved it. So whaddaya think? should I bother or buy, Thanks, Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 01-17-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: missed phrase
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please confirm what the speaker sizes are in a 1990 XJS convertible? Thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Dave and Denver,

Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate the help.

Dave, I will get by the dealer and see if they can reprogram the alarm.

Denver, I have the ultra delux cheapo model Wrangler. The only on screen menu is at the drive thru.

Thanks again, Terry

Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Default Radio thinks car phone is off the hook

Dear Jake21,

I have 2002 XJ8. Radio light won't go off, radio won't play, because the radio thinks the car phone is off the hook.... Surprise...I don't have a car phone. When I call the dealer they say spend $1500 to replace the radio. Please help if you can.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Pif
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jake,
I have a 1985 XJS, that has a small amp and a kenwood unit. No power to anything, shall I just remove it and find a used aftermarket set?

Ryan

Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Not quite a stereo question but related;

95 XJS with original OEM..Harada antenna

Original antenna motor gave up the ghost. Bought a Harada MX 22 thinking it would fit, but the top of the antenna is too large for the OEM Chrome piece. Is there an adaptor I can use ?

Thanks !!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I welded rear quarter shut, where the antenna opening was. So now I am planning to fit solid antenna into rear bumper and blend its trim nicely with bumper chrome. Just a thought...

BTW, I have perfectly functional 82' Jaguar am/fm tape, which I pulled from my car in favor of Pioneer with USB connector.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
Jake,

This isn't Jag related, but, I thought I'd throw it out there. My DD is an '08 Jeep Wrangler. I am wondering if there is a way to disable the horn honk feature when you lock the car with the remote fob. I have never liked that on any car and I hate it when it's my car. I get home late a lot of nights, and I hate disturbing the neighbors. I don't really care if it also disables the alarm, nobody pays any attention to them anyway. You audio guys always seem to know about alarms.

Thanks, Terry
With the doors closed,

Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds. While still holding the lock button, press the Panic button and release both. Test operation.

Originally Posted by kmrod22
A little late to this party but hopefully I can get some help. I've got an 03 STR and would like to be able to stream audio from my phone or an ipod. Is there any way to do it other than an FM modulator. Is there a way to use the CD changer port by chance.
Some say, depending on your radio, this MAY work.
Do you have the Alpine System?
Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Originally Posted by buddyluv
Does it pay to fix the old radio for the sake of authenticity or try to find a good working unit. They're not too bad sounding and are easily swapped for shows. Mine was weird, the AM was working but, the FM wasn't working so I found the PC board in question, re-soldered the (cracked connections), reinstalled and now the FM was clear but now no AM. Well plus when I checked out the changer it wouldn't push the cassette out so I shelved it. So whaddaya think? should I bother or buy, Thanks, Bud
AM radio is VERY sensitive, I would honestly get a new radio, more features, better sound, and reliability. Then like you said, just swap it with the stock one for shows. Just make a quick disconnect harness for both radios that have the same ends so its literally plug and play

Originally Posted by Pudelspringer
Can you please confirm what the speaker sizes are in a 1990 XJS convertible? Thanks
5.25" Front and rear

Originally Posted by brncpa
Dear Jake21,

I have 2002 XJ8. Radio light won't go off, radio won't play, because the radio thinks the car phone is off the hook.... Surprise...I don't have a car phone. When I call the dealer they say spend $1500 to replace the radio. Please help if you can.
First, see if you have the Radio Code. If you do, remove the battery positive and negative wire from the posts and leave them off for around 15-20 mins. This will reset the radio and HOPEFULLY solve the issue. When you reattach the wires to the battery, your radio will say CODE. Enter in your radio code and let me know if that worked.

Originally Posted by Pif
Hi Jake,
I have a 1985 XJS, that has a small amp and a kenwood unit. No power to anything, shall I just remove it and find a used aftermarket set?

Ryan
Well, I would first try to figure out why nothing has power, if you get a new system, you will still have the issue of not having power. Check fuses from car and fuses on radio and amp, and check for any fuses near the battery. If fuses are fine, get out the DVM and check for voltage, I cant even count how many times people have come into my work with a poor or missing ground (earth) wire so make sure everything is grounded to METAL, not another wire.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM

My OEM stereo tanked and I want to replace so I removed it and bought the wiring harness adapter from the UK that converts it to an ISO connector. Now I can't ind a stereo that has an ISO but only I guess what is the new standard a 16 pin. How do I figure this out and are the pin layouts universal across brands or do I need to match the brand to the config?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by oconpark
My OEM stereo tanked and I want to replace so I removed it and bought the wiring harness adapter from the UK that converts it to an ISO connector. Now I can't ind a stereo that has an ISO but only I guess what is the new standard a 16 pin. How do I figure this out and are the pin layouts universal across brands or do I need to match the brand to the config?
Its simple, match wire colors from the ISO harness to the colors on the aftermarket stereo harness.

ANY Aftermarket stereo will work, they all come with their own wire harness

(Make sure you double check the wires though, some manufactures change a color here and there but it is RARE)

Here is the most common aftermarket colors, which you ISO connector also most likely has:

P o w e r / G r o u n d
-Memory (+12v Constant) Yellow
-Ignition (+12v Switched) Red
-Ground (-)
Black
-Power Antenna Blue
-Amplifier Turn-on
Blue/White Stripe

S p e a k e r s
-Right Front (+) Gray
-Right Front (-)
Gray/Black Stripe
-Left Front (+) White
-Left Front (-)
White/Black Stripe
-Right Rear (+) Violet
-Right Rear (-) Violet/Black Stripe
-Left Rear (+) Green
-Left Rear (-)
Green/Black Stripe

If you need help, PM me with a pic of your harness and the radio you are interested in getting, i can also guide you in the correct direction of a quality radio. I can give you a full walk-through of how to install it, after your done, you will be able to install a radio into any vehicle

Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks Jake21,
I have the adapter for the harness to get the ISO but now it seems I have to buy the adapter to the typical 16 pin from either Europe or Australia!! Are they not available in the US? I am looking at a Pioneer with Bluetooth hands free and the ability to turn the display green to match the dash. Any thoughts?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=jake21;663315]With the doors closed,

Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds. While still holding the lock button, press the Panic button and release both. Test operation.

Jake,

You're a genius! It worked like a charm. Thanks for the help! You saved me a trip to the dealer and most likely a few bucks!! Like a lot of the guys on this forum you've saved others a lot of work, time and money. I am always amazed at how much information and knowledge there is on this site and how willingly it is shared.

Terry

Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks Jake21,
I have the adapter for the harness to get the ISO but now it seems I have to buy the adapter to the typical 16 pin from either Europe or Australia!! Are they not available in the US? I am looking at a Pioneer with Bluetooth hands free and the ability to turn the display green to match the dash. Any thoughts?
What 16 pin harness are you talking about? Do you have a picture of it?

Also, upload a picture of the ISO harness you have so i can take a look at it.

And good choice on the Pioneer, they are good decks, is there a specific model # your looking at?

Originally Posted by Terry
Jake,

You're a genius! It worked like a charm. Thanks for the help! You saved me a trip to the dealer and most likely a few bucks!! Like a lot of the guys on this forum you've saved others a lot of work, time and money. I am always amazed at how much information and knowledge there is on this site and how willingly it is shared.

Terry
Not a problem Terry, Glad it worked! I hate it when people have to go to the dealership..

Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks Jake21,
Is this the harness you purchased?

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-pc2-66-4.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jake21
Is this the harness you purchased?

Almost - the one I bought is a twenty pin but otherwise looks the same. Apparently the deck comes with the 16 pin plug and bare wires so that I can do the splice after the plug I bought and not cut the OEM wires. I bought a Pioneer DEX-H6500 BET as it got good reviews for Blutooth and iPhone connections.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Almost - the one I bought is a twenty pin but otherwise looks the same. Apparently the deck comes with the 16 pin plug and bare wires so that I can do the splice after the plug I bought and not cut the OEM wires. I bought a Pioneer DEX-H6500 BET as it got good reviews for Blutooth and iPhone connections.
Take a pic of all of your harnesses and i will show you what to connect to what

Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Default Celebration '96 - Alpine stereo drops in & out

The original Alpine stereo in my '96 Celebration 4.0l powers on and off fine but at different stages over the last year I can't hear anything on any mode - cd/radio/tape from the speakers.

Now when I stop the engine, I can hear the music playing very faintly.

Every now and again, it will come back to life and work normally while driving. If I then power off the stereo before coming in and turn it back on when going out, it will work again most of the time. Though if I let the stereo stop when the engine stops, it generally won't re-start when I go out again.

I've checked fuses and taken out the stereo to check the connections at the back but no joy.

Any help would be really appreciated - thanks !

Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stereo choices

Hello Jake,
I have a 92 XJS conv & want to upgrade to a new radio, how about a couple of choices you would recommend. IE.. brand & model# ??
Thanks Bill

Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Jake21,
Thanks for all of your info. I keep coming back to this thread. I have an interesting problem. My after market Alpine will work fine when just the back speakers are hooked up, however, as soon as I hook up the front speakers, they all go out. I still have perfect power to the head unit, but no sounds come out. Any advice?
Thanks,
David

The following users liked this post:
Road Kitty (06-18-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

I have a 99 jaguar vdp and I'm trying to install some subwoofers to it with factory stereo .. would you know which color wwires would I hook up the adjustable line output converter too?

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!