XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xkr audio from iphone5

Originally Posted by jake21
Lately I have seen a few stereo questions pop up around here, so i figured I would make a thread for the purpose of answering you car audio, security, remote starts, bluetooth, gps, etc etc etc related questions in our Jag's.

I have been a professional car audio installer for many years, so if you have any 12v questions, feel free to ask.

anyone abelto help me with a query i have on this subject?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Default xkr audio to iphone5

sorry the subject being : xkr audio to work with my iphone5 within portable devices...

Old 03-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry, I'm new here

I started a new thread with this information below. I think I should have just added it to this existing thread. Sorry if this caused a problem.

I have a 1.25A drain on my battery from the radio through the 20A mini fuse in the primary junction box. This is while the car is "asleep".

I determined this by removing the fuse after the car sat for an hour and making contact in the socket with the probes of my multimeter set to 10 A. (Interestingly?, the radio turns on after a couple of seconds when I complete the circuit with the multimeter or when I reinsert the fuse.)

My mechanic spent a day checking all the wiring and his conclusion is that something in the radio itself is causing the draw, and that I should replace the radio.

Before I do this, does anyone have any suggestions as to other things to check?

Also, for some reason I only read a 0.3A draw when measuring on the contact points of the mini fuse when it is in place. When I turn the radio on it goes up to 0.9A measured the same way.

With the 20A fuse out, as noted above, the battery is holding it's charge.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Default 98 Vanden Plas CD player doesn't work?

Bought the vehicle a month ago, radio works and I replaced the speakers but the CD will not work? Checked in the trunk, does not seem to be power to the CD player, connections that I can see in the trunk look OK.

Thoughts??

Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by firenfix
Bought the vehicle a month ago, radio works and I replaced the speakers but the CD will not work? Checked in the trunk, does not seem to be power to the CD player, connections that I can see in the trunk look OK.

Thoughts??

Having just pulled my whole system out, I can say to be sure all the connections are pushed in completely on the amp, cd and nav setup since they are daisy chained. If you want, make me an offer for mine, I'm just 20 minutes away in Orlando, pm me.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing Alpine 148BT in 95 v12 XJS

I have questions!

When I go to pull the old stock casette player out is there anything special I need to do to get the old radio out?

I assume that to get the auto gear stick out of the way by putting it into "1" and then turning off the car, and that I remove the old stereo by pulling firmly until the clips release.

I'd like to run the rear USB cable into the armrest cubby do I need to remove the ski slope to do that?

Where are the best places to locate the remote microphone for good phone call clarity?

As relates to the antenna. I need to replace the mast but I thought I would do it after I install the new stereo. Is that the best course of action? Also, do I need to do anything special to make the antenna function (raise and lower) correctly?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Having just pulled my whole system out, I can say to be sure all the connections are pushed in completely on the amp, cd and nav setup since they are daisy chained. If you want, make me an offer for mine, I'm just 20 minutes away in Orlando, pm me.
I do not have a separate amp or nav that I am aware of, just the cd player in the trunk. Does the CD get power from the head unit?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by firenfix
I do not have a separate amp or nav that I am aware of, just the cd player in the trunk. Does the CD get power from the head unit?

Yes, there's a yellow Ford latch down connector for the speakers and steering controls. Mine was the Alpine unit where everything goes through the amp, cd then nav and back throughout the car. You should still have a separate cd hookup coming off the bottom left of the head unit also. If yours is the base system it should be fairly easy to sort out. You can download electronic diagrams here.
'98.... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf
or .... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I may have to retract my comparison of mine to yours regarding the Ford latch. I skimmed over your '98 pdf and it appears a bit different. But the links for the electrical are good tools. Make sure to favorite jagrepair.com there's a lot of very good info there.

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (08-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Once again, I'm back!!

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Hi jake 21
I have a 1992 xjs v12 and the stereo was working great when I stored it for the winter. I disconnected the battery. Come spring, the radio and cassette work fine but the CD exchanger gives me a code fault . I cannot find that fault number in my book. The cd exchanger loads and unloads ok but will not load the disk and function. Thanks Jake21
CD changers are a REAL big pain in the butt, mechanically and electrically... What code does it pop up with when you try to use the changer?

Originally Posted by RagJag
The bass sound in my 1996 XJS is pathetic. Are there speakers that I can install in place of the original ones that will sound better or do I have to find a place in the back seat area to do this with larger speakers.
Thanks, RagJag
Bigger is always better, and will almost always give you more low-end. That being said, you can definitely install new speakers in place of the factory sets.

I would start with the front door speakers, and see how much of an improvement it makes, if you are still unsatisfied, check to see if there is any location in the rear of the car that you can install some new 6x9 speakers. 6x9's will give you some decent lowend no doubt.

Originally Posted by Haugabrook818
Jake,

I am having a problem locating my Radio ID number to subscribe to Sirius in my 10' XF Premium. Contacted the Dealer, was advised that the number should be linked to my VIN. My audio screen shows Ch. 3 on the Home screen however I have no idea how to change to 0. Please help.. Thanks in Advance.
Hmmm... thats a tricky one. I do not have any experience with that model/year car, but you should be able to get the ID from channel 0 like you said. Thismay be a dumb question, but have you tried all possible buttons to attempt to get back too channel 0?

Originally Posted by gabefasolino
Hi Jake - and thanks for taking on stereo questions. I have a 2006 XK8 and the bluetooth works fine with my iPhone 4S for phone calls, but I can't find a way to play music from the phone over bluetooth. I can play music from the phone to a bluetooth headset. Is there any way to get the music to play through the car's stereo using bluetooth?
Bluetooth that comes stock in vehicles is a hit or miss, some vehicles let you play music, and some do not unfortunately... Chevy's are the same way, lets you make calls, but will not let you play music.. Do you have a USB or AUX input in there?

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Hi Jake 21,

I have a 2000 VDP with premium Alpine setup. I have replaced the head unit with a Clarion VZ503, the amp with an Alpine MRP-F240 and Rockford Fosgate speakers.
That said, I am now trying to put in an interface (AXXESS ASWC-1) for the steering wheel volume controls. It seemed pretty straight forward until......
Now the issue, on a standard XJ the volume wire is Red/White, but on this Alpine I don't have a clue, there is no red/white. The schematics I've downloaded say its supposed to be red/wh.
A possible issue, since I replaced the amp, cd and navigation setup, ....I'm not sure if the controls ran through the old amp. May this be a no go because I've unplugged the system? Or can I get into the steering column and intercept the red/wh (?) leads coming off there?
Thanks for any assistance... : )
Have you looked at this
http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/10953.pdf

Originally Posted by moranlr
Jake,

I have a 1.2A drain on my battery when my 2001 S-Type is "asleep". I have isolated it to the 20A mini fuse in the PJB in the passenger compartment.

Is there anything else I can do or any suggestions as per instructions to give to my mechanic?

Thanks in advance for any help.
What is that fuse labeled as? Lights? Radio? Etc?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I want to get rid of the power antenna. It doesn't work, and I'd like to use the space occupied by the motor assembly for something else. What are my options? I was thinking:

1) A hidden antenna - something I could put under the rear parcel shelf, etc. Are they any good? How do they compare to an ordinary antenna? I like this idea the best.

2) A fixed full-length antenna. Not sure where I'd get one or how I'd install it.

3) A fixed stubby antenna. I like the low-profile idea, but I'm not sure I like the fat antenna styles in available in both black rubber and silver/stainless/chrome.

Most importantly - how good are those hideaway antennas??
BAWM200 - Best Kits Bawm200 Windshield Mount Antenna - Best Kits

This guy works AMAZING for hidden antenna applications, simply put it in your headliner or anywhere you can hide it, the one caveat with aftermarket antenna's though, is you will noticeably lose a fair amount of AM reception. FM works awesome none the less.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=jake21;938442]Once again, I'm back!!

Have you looked at this

Yes, I have that, its the one that has me hooking to the red/wh. wire which doesn't exist on the Alpine. I even spoke with a tech at AXXESS and he told me the same wire.
Was wondering if that red/wh may run to the trunk and I can pick it up there? I'll look into that tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM

The 20 Amp fuse is labeled radio, (also GPS and phone, which I don't have.) There is a separate 5 Amp fuse labeled radio, but the draw is coming from the 20A fuse.

Someone told me it could be either a fault in the radio or the amp. Where is the amp? Is there a way to find out which it is?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2004 XJRS in the USA. For some reason, only the front speakers seem to work and I need to know where to start looking.
I did go through the touch-screen set up for the audio and I think I have everything as it should be.
2nd hand car and I didn't notice it for while after buying it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gabefasolino
Hi Jake - and thanks for taking on stereo questions. I have a 2006 XK8 and the bluetooth works fine with my iPhone 4S for phone calls, but I can't find a way to play music from the phone over bluetooth. I can play music from the phone to a bluetooth headset. Is there any way to get the music to play through the car's stereo using bluetooth?
thanks for the reply - I don't have a USB or AUX that's readily visible in the car. Might there be one that's hidden somewhere?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Jake, Elinor B here.
I have an Xj6 Series II with an aftermarket Clarion stereo.

I need to remove it to service the air conditioning components behind it. I have removed the face plate(s) back to the mounting brackets but I can't pull the thing out.

How do I get it out of its hole?
(';')

Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Highhorse;938639]
Originally Posted by jake21
Once again, I'm back!!

Have you looked at this

Yes, I have that, its the one that has me hooking to the red/wh. wire which doesn't exist on the Alpine. I even spoke with a tech at AXXESS and he told me the same wire.
Was wondering if that red/wh may run to the trunk and I can pick it up there? I'll look into that tomorrow.

Well Jake, I cannot trace that red/wh wire, I found a red/gr and red/or but that's it. I didn't have much time today, so I wasn't able to meter any of the lines yet.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Default xjs radio inline fuse

Hi, my radio is playing up in my 92 xjs v12, it turns on but only half the buttons on the left side of the radio work the right side buttons dont works so i cant search for stations, ive checked the normal fuse and seems fine, ive got my centre console out and glove box area searching for a inline fuse for this radio hoping it will solve the problem, thing is I cant find it anywhere, does anyone please have a picture of what this fuse looks like when you find it? or a good description to where it can be.
Many Thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts
Default Never mind

Originally Posted by LnrB
Jake, Elinor B here.
I have an Xj6 Series II with an aftermarket Clarion stereo.

I need to remove it to service the air conditioning components behind it. I have removed the face plate(s) back to the mounting brackets but I can't pull the thing out.

How do I get it out of its hole?
(';')

Never mind!
Today I stopped by a local car stereo shop and asked them to please remove my stereo and why.

A *Very* nice tech interrupted his lunch break, came out to my car with his magic tools and in about 3 or 4 minutes had the stereo sitting unlatched in its hole so I could completely remove it at my leisure.

If I have any further questions I'll be returning to that shop; Sunset Car Stereo in Chico California.
(';')

Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Can any of you identify the screws that hold the original radio in? I took out a aftermarket radio, and have purchased from a fellow forum member, his original radio. I have it hooked up, working great, but have tried standard, and metric screws, and neither will thread in. Don't want to ruin the inserts that are in the dash, so any help appreciated. Cant put the AC panel back on untill I have these.
Not sure of the metric size I tried, but I know the standard screws I tried are 8-32 machine screws, but won't work.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Default Idiots!

Last owner took a set of dikes to the wiring of my 87 XJSC. Anybody have a wiring diagram with color codes? John

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!