XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Bad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by NtAFord
My issue is no garage. No cherry picker, no air compressor. The car is in a garage with nothing more than a trouble light, a socket set and 120 Volt's AC....

So the discussion of hauling engines in-n-out of the car (Jag engine or Chevy engine or any other brand) is academic, it seems. Unless, I reckon, you're in a position to pay a shop to do the work.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, just mebbe not. There was a day before tool rentals and cherry pickers and the like.

The advent of the shade tree mechanic!!! A borrowed chain fall was a luxury!!

A space under a strong mature tree. Jack up the car. Chain the engine to a convenient bough. Disconnect all the stuff. Lower the carcass away from the lump.
Fix it as it hangs or drop it!!!!!

Wrestle up a replacement. hang t, that is fun getting it up in the sky. Sky hook anyone. Get the carcass under it. Jack it into place.

Hook it up. Lower it. finish he small stuff.

Reenforced pipe kids swing sets work. last done by me on my "Hot rod of the forties" project.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Flint Ironstag (09-01-2014), NtAFord (09-02-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
If you've never done something how can you have strong feeling about the specifics. You may not like the idea in general but you shouldn't comment on the details such as price and difficulty if you've never done it. What personal research? Agreeing with others who post mis-information isn't personal research.
I haven't commented on any details / specifics / minutiae of an engine swap. I am not a mechanic, and neither is NtAFord. I don't need to have done it to comment about price and difficulty, however. One reads a great deal, converses with mechanics and forum members regarding cost, etc. And as for difficulty, I have no illusions that it's not a job I'd tackle myself. I can certainly talk about it, and the OP came here asking for opinions. I am in a similar situation as NtAFord: not a mechanic, no proper garage, insufficient tools and experience for such a task. As such I think my input is relevant, but OP can decide for himself.

OP asked about the pros and cons of either approach, and I offered what I have gathered over the years. You see it as misinformation, and provided your contrasting opinion and experience. This is what the forum is for: an exchange of information. I think calling people clueless and hiding from reality / not dealing with facts is not conducive to a meaningful exchange of experiences.

How exactly does the "test before you buy" work?
Not sure if you're serious, but I'll assume so. Find a running donor car. Have a compression check / pre purchase inspection done on the drivetrain. Or, buy from a place that offers a warranty - many breakers do, provided the drivetrain is installed by a certified mechanic within a certain timeframe from purchase.

It's not hard to find a donor car, as it doesn't take much to total an XJS. Any vandalism or interior damage and they're gone. Doesn't take much of an accident either. Won't pass smog and the owner is afraid of a massive repair bill? - off to the junkyard. They are out there.

NtAFord, you should have plenty to consider in order to make an informed decision. Still, I think it's important to find out exactly what is wrong with your car first. Sometimes the bogey man isn't that scary once you shine the light on him.

Cheers!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Well, just mebbe not. There was a day before tool rentals and cherry pickers and the like.

The advent of the shade tree mechanic!!! A borrowed chain fall was a luxury!!

A space under a strong mature tree. Jack up the car. Chain the engine to a convenient bough. Disconnect all the stuff. Lower the carcass away from the lump.
Fix it as it hangs or drop it!!!!!

Reenforced pipe kids swing sets work. last done by me on my "Hot rod of the forties" project.

Carl
LOL - this is awesome! You're braver than I am!!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Here's an interesting listing on the Detroit Craigslist

ENGINE V12 Jaguar engine and auto trans/hot rod/ ratrod
Thank you. That is just up the road from where I work. I wonder though if I would be able to adapt my EFI to repace the carbs that are coming with it on that engine block? As well as the exhaust. Wonder if or how much that engine changed between 1980 and 1989.

I really need to get me a shop manual like i had for my International Scout II..... Had VERY detailed break down on everything even to rebuilding a brake caliper and a carberator.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Being from WV, I have pulled and rebuilt engines without proper equipment. Not easy and not for the fainthearted. If you are not too old, which I am now it is a good experience to get your hands greasy. You may break a finger nail, so be careful. I still get dirty but at least have the right tools and equipment. Changing an engine from V-6 to V-8 in the same brand car isn't difficult but going from a Jag engine to a Chevy in a Jag is quite the project. I am in awe of folks that do this with success.
Luck, RagJag.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by NtAFord
Thank you. That is just up the road from where I work. I wonder though if I would be able to adapt my EFI to repace the carbs that are coming with it on that engine block? As well as the exhaust. Wonder if or how much that engine changed between 1980 and 1989.

I really need to get me a shop manual like i had for my International Scout II..... Had VERY detailed break down on everything even to rebuilding a brake caliper and a carberator.

The engine in the add appears to be an HE. This suggests it was originally designed for the EFI system you have with Lucas ignition. Treat it like a long block, swap over parts and I see no reason it wouldn't work out.

It seems like a great deal on the surface but remember to do your due diligence. You could sell the intake and carbs for perhaps 1/2 of what you paid for the lot.

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Flint Ironstag (09-02-2014), NtAFord (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The engine in the add appears to be an HE. This suggests it was originally designed for the EFI system you have with Lucas ignition. Treat it like a long block, swap over parts and I see no reason it wouldn't work out. It seems like a great deal on the surface but remember to do your due diligence. You could sell the intake and carbs for perhaps 1/2 of what you paid for the lot.
Etype people would ****** up those carbs/intakes. A set of strombergs used for a TR6 usually fetch 500 to 600 dollars US.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry I must have missed something previously, your motor is Carb'd? Mate your sitting on some dollars there, please don't tell me it has extractors as well, if it does well I say scrap the car and sell the extractors to me! LOL.
It wasn't a bad point made earlier about just replacing the bottom end, it could work well for you dont just look for XJS but any 5.3 jag v12 should work.
The funny thing is I just received a email from Dellow's in Sydney with their new catalogue, they do all the parts for conversions and I thought of you, but if you can stick to the Jag V12, if not I recommend you find a written off late model car with a LSx motor and go from there. Use what you can and scrap the rest

Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
Sorry I must have missed something previously, your motor is Carb'd? Mate your sitting on some dollars there, please don't tell me it has extractors as well, if it does well I say scrap the car and sell the extractors to me! LOL.
It wasn't a bad point made earlier about just replacing the bottom end, it could work well for you dont just look for XJS but any 5.3 jag v12 should work.
The funny thing is I just received a email from Dellow's in Sydney with their new catalogue, they do all the parts for conversions and I thought of you, but if you can stick to the Jag V12, if not I recommend you find a written off late model car with a LSx motor and go from there. Use what you can and scrap the rest
No my engine is EFI, but the one I was looking at replacing it with is carburated. I want to stick tot he EFI set up just wasn't sure if using that block/head combo originally set up for carb's would work on my set up for electronic fuel injection.

HOWEVER, just learned some more bad new to add fuel to the fire. Called the shop that the guy said he bought the "completely rebuilt engine and transmission" from. The guy bought the XJS, pulled the motor and trans out and had no use for it so he flipped it. Never touched the motor, never rebuilt or replaced anything. So the guy trying to sell it is doing a bunch of false advertising.....

Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

No my engine is EFI, but the one I was looking at replacing it with is carburated. I want to stick tot he EFI set up just wasn't sure if using that block/head combo originally set up for carb's would work on my set up for electronic fuel injection.
Well that clears up things for me.

HOWEVER, just learned some more bad new to add fuel to the fire. Called the shop that the guy said he bought the "completely rebuilt engine and transmission" from. The guy bought the XJS, pulled the motor and trans out and had no use for it so he flipped it. Never touched the motor, never rebuilt or replaced anything. So the guy trying to sell it is doing a bunch of false advertising.....
Yep you get that, it just goes from one bad place to another, do not keep up looking, search for "Jag v12 Motor" you are bound to find one around with low Mileage. Sorry don't go much on your gantry from a tree branch method to remove motor, being there done that and its sucks! Do yourself a favour hire a "donk" (Motor) hoist for a weekend to do the transplant, they are dirt cheap even to buy. Remember these motors are heavy and I have seen things go wrong in the past, its not worth any injury be it minor or major to fix a bloody car.
Good Luck