XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Battery charger/maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery charger/maintainer

Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery charger/maintainer for 1996 XJS? Are they connected directly to the battery terminals? Thxs

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1.5 Amp 12V Three Stage Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer

I just picked up a 1.5 Amp 12V Three Stage Onboard Battery Charger/MaintainerIt indicates Power, Charging at local auto parts store for under $30.Hooked directly to car battery terminals, along with Battery Warmer for the cold mornings.
Just Plug in and leave.

Jaguar Stored In Shop

Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I use a Deltran Battery Tender Jr., .75 amp. It can be attached directly to the battery or attached with alligator clips. Works great.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Noco G3500 and G7200 are more expensive but are very good.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I wired my maintainer to the battery cables in a way that I leave hooked up and use a plug outside the boot lid to use the maintainer which is mounted on the wall of my carport.
RagJag

Old 01-29-2015, 03:53 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by DabsJag
I use a Deltran Battery Tender Jr., .75 amp. It can be attached directly to the battery or attached with alligator clips. Works great.
I have the same one, I agree works great. I used the alligator clips on mine since the battery is out of the Jag. Current working on checking, cleaning and replacing thing that need.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Don't have any product names or links, but they make a product that I think you can plug into the cigarette lighter to maintain the battery.

Saw it on Harry's garage a while ago, he has an old mercedes he keeps in france, and has this installed on the car. He cut a hole out of the car cover so sunlight can shine through to the solar panel and keep the battery charged.

If the car is inside a tender may be a better option. If you don't drive it then just unhook the battery...

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I use a battery disconnect switch on my car. Marine type, no spark. It saves the battery from dying.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-08-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 01-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar Schumacher, not sure if it was the same model number but it didn't last too long before it stopped working correctly.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

A battery disconnect device will cause any memory settings to erase. Such as electric clock, radio settings, seat memory, etc. Had one. Worked, but didn't like the hassle of loosing the settings.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by MHF25
A battery disconnect device will cause any memory settings to erase. Such as electric clock, radio settings, seat memory, etc. Had one. Worked, but didn't like the hassle of loosing the settings.
I agree. If you have an older carb'd car these are awesome and I would put them on anything and everything. If you have a newer car with electric clock, radio settings, or especially o2 sensors, I wouldn't use one of those.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Default Access to Battery in trunk

Hi
I have a problem with a dead battery, and it seems that I cannot open the trunk. Is there an issue where, if the battery is dead, it is impossible to open the trunk (boot) to access it?
The keys don't appear to turn all the way.
Bill

hankspond (03-28-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After a bit of research 3 Years ago I purchased a Ctek charger. This european company makes the same chargers for Ferrari, RR, Bentley, Lambo etc.

I have never had an issue with it, my car is always charged and the battery is always conditioned. You could look up how it compares. It surpasses and its cheap for what it does.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive

Old 03-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by billmgeo
Hi
I have a problem with a dead battery, and it seems that I cannot open the trunk. Is there an issue where, if the battery is dead, it is impossible to open the trunk (boot) to access it?
The keys don't appear to turn all the way.
Bill
No prob. You can jump start the car from the right hand side battery stud located on the bulkhead (firewall). I've done it many times, myself. -- Furthermore, you may just power the car at that same point with a suitable external 12 volt source and pop the trunk lid open.

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 03-07-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Left something out
paulyling (03-08-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vmaxie
Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery charger/maintainer for 1996 XJS? Are they connected directly to the battery terminals? Thxs
I have a 1.5 amp charger/maintainer from Schumacher ($30.00) and I'm constantly using it on my cars, especially the XJS, if only because it doesn't get driven very often. It isn't a fast charger, but that's not what what it's designed for, as sometimes it takes up to three days to finally flash the green LED, of course, depending on how discharged your battery is. From there on, it will maintain the right charge forever.

However, for a faster charge, last Christmas I stole a great charger on sale at Harbor Freight Store. It offers three selectable charging levels, with the lowest being a 2.0 amp charger-maintainer, then a 10 amp charger and also a 50 amp jump starter. Believe it or not, it once started my XJR (4.0L V8). MSRP $79.99, I bought it on sale back at Christmas for $29.99. Right now on sale for the same price (coupon on-line). Great device and for this price it is, indeed, a steal.

Cheers,

Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Don't have any product names or links, but they make a product that I think you can plug into the cigarette lighter to maintain the battery.
You can plug any charger-maintainer to the cigarette lighter receptacle provided that you rewire it so it is hot at all times. I have no idea why Jaguar has insisted in providing only switched power to it. My wife's little Z3 comes from the factory with a hot receptacle, which makes things so easy, like using the 12v vacuum, or tire inflator, charging a cell phone, etc. I rewired my XJS and it saves me beaucoup headaches. -- Just rewire it already and make life easier... you'll find yourself often taking advantage of the convenience.

Cheers,

Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
I have a 1.5 amp charger/maintainer from Schumacher ($30.00) and I'm constantly using it on my cars, especially the XJS, if only because it doesn't get driven very often. It isn't a fast charger, but that's not what what it's designed for, as sometimes it takes up to three days to finally flash the green LED, of course, depending on how discharged your battery is. From there on, it will maintain the right charge forever.

However, for a faster charge, last Christmas I stole a great charger on sale at Harbor Freight Store. It offers three selectable charging levels, with the lowest being a 2.0 amp charger-maintainer, then a 10 amp charger and also a 50 amp jump starter. Believe it or not, it once started my XJR (4.0L V8). MSRP $79.99, I bought it on sale back at Christmas for $29.99. Right now on sale for the same price (coupon on-line). Great device and for this price it is, indeed, a steal.

Cheers,
This is the Harbor Freight 3-level charger/jump starter:

Attached Thumbnails Battery charger/maintainer-harbor-freight-batt-charger-2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought one of the 1.5AMP 6/12VDC battery charger maintainers for about $35.

It came with a alligator clip type of connectors going to a charger male/female plug.
I removed the alligator clips and spliced it to an extension cable that had ring terminals on the other end. The 94 XJS 2+2 has a +12VDC (HOT DC) on the firewall
(US driverside) and a ground terminal on the passenger firewall side.
I wired up the extension cable to those terminal posts and routed the
charger cable connector out the front grill on the drivers side headlight.
Now I can connect the charger without opening the bonnet.
I also found out later it comes in handy when the car is locked and the battery has gone down. Just connect the charger for a few moments and you can now operate
the door locks !

Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Drivers side (LHD) terminal

Thanks for Scarbro and ForcedAir!
So to be clear - near the top of the firewall on the right hand side facing the car from the front, I found a terminal with a rubber cover, sort of like the cover on many car battery terminals. I also found another similar one on the other side (left hand side facing the car from the front). Am I to understand that the left hand one is negative ground? The diagram in the Jaguar manual makes it look like all those terminals are positive.

XKgr8 (03-21-2015)

Quick Reply: Battery charger/maintainer